Check the jump in your barrel and if it allows seat it at 2.290 work up in 2 tenth increases from 27 grains till you find a load with a average speed your happy with and has tight sd/es numbers.
Then adjust seating depth by 5 thousands at a time to get the group size you want.
Your going to need a chronograph and the tools to measure your jump to lands if you dont already have them.
Check the jump in your barrel and if it allows seat it at 2.290 work up in 2 tenth increases from 27 grains till you find a load with a average speed your happy with and has tight sd/es numbers.
Then adjust seating depth by 5 thousands at a time to get the group size you want.
Your going to need a chronograph and the tools to measure your jump to lands if you dont already have them.
Check the jump in your barrel and if it allows seat it at 2.290 work up in 2 tenth increases from 27 grains till you find a load with a average speed your happy with and has tight sd/es numbers.
Then adjust seating depth by 5 thousands at a time to get the group size you want.
Your going to need a chronograph and the tools to measure your jump to lands if you dont already have them.
If you load them at the above listed length you will likely have to feed these manually as they will likely be .03" too long to reliably fit in a standard AR magazine (2.260" COAL). you may want to check your mags or just deal with the jump. Some bullets will react fine to large jumps, but like you asked for in the original post .... an accurate load might be at or near the lands.
You can measure distance to the lands without any specific tools .... There are methods to use a once fired, de-primed case with the neck adjusted to lightly hold the bullet. You can search you tube to find more info on that .. it will get you close enough to understand what the jump is from the max Mag Length to the lands (jump). From there adjust seating depth as A5 mentioned.
The beauty of hand loading is the experimentation of finding what works best in your rifle. Given a very select set of components, It's difficult to just state a universal load that will perform accurately ... even the same components and load in my rifle might not be optimal for yours ....you will need to load variations and test.
Also, Accuracy expectations also vary widely ... there are rarely short cuts ... especially with limited components
06-26-2021, 01:42 PM (This post was last modified: 06-26-2021, 01:48 PM by Rick2001.)
For some reasons my rifle likes the Barnes Match Burner and the 2nd grade Hornady I bought in bulk. The hornady SST shoots meh, and the absolutely worst are the Speer gold dot that my rufle shoots like shotgun's buckshots .
It likes the Barnes with both CFE and BL-C2 with charges well below the max (29.9 for bl-c2 and 30.7 for CFE). I developed tge ladder in 0.3 gn increments.
Both loads are about 0.8 MOA with a COAL of 2.245" and my crappy skills.
I.am waiting to get the Hornady Gauge to start playing with bullets seating depths and see if it makes any difference before fine tuning the powders.
I also have a problem: every 4 or 5 rounds one jam against the feeding ramps indipendently from the bullet .... it never happened with the G.H.barrel. not sure what is the cause because it doesn't happen only during the gas cycling but also when I insert a new magazine and I release the bolt to chamber the first round.... it is completely random.
I will post a picture of the feeding ramps in the hope that someone can help me to figure out what is the problem.
Thanks
Rick2001 Wrote:For some reasons my rifle likes the Barnes Match Burner and the 2nd grade Hornady I bought in bulk. The hornady SST shoots meh, and the absolutely worst are the Speer gold dot that my rufle shoots like shotgun's buckshots .
It likes the Barnes with both CFE and BL-C2 with charges well below the max (29.9 for bl-c2 and 30.7 for CFE). I developed tge ladder in 0.3 gn increments.
Both loads are about 0.8 MOA with a COAL of 2.245" and my crappy skills.
I.am waiting to get the Hornady Gauge to start playing with bullets seating depths and see if it makes any difference before fine tuning the powders.
I also have a problem: every 4 or 5 rounds one jam against the feeding ramps indipendently from the bullet .... it never happened with the G.H.barrel. not sure what is the cause because it doesn't happen only during the gas cycling but also when I insert a new magazine and I release the bolt to chamber the first round.... it is completely random.
I will post a picture of the feeding ramps in the hope that someone can help me to figure out what is the problem.
Thanks
[ATTACH=CONFIG]17984[/ATTACH]
Is the round getting caught up on this step I see in the upper/extension joint. Looks like marks on there in this picture
TedBrewer5 Wrote:[ATTACH=CONFIG]17984[/ATTACH]
Is the round getting caught up on this step I see in the upper/extension joint. Looks like marks on there in this picture
As long as the magazine presents the top cartridge at the correct angle you might not experience any feed issue with most longer bullets. The small step from the upper receiver ramp to the barrel extension ramp could snag a shorter profile blunt bullet like the 85 grain Sierra Varmint. Its hard to say how much step there is from the picture but it wouldnt be to hard to blend the barrel extension feed ramp to the upper receiver feed ramp.
It is my understanding that there shouldnt be a lip/step there but a smoother transition as to not cause the issue you are experiencing. I have not tackled my issue in the same area yet so I will leave advice on fixes to those more experienced than myself. Dispute that issue your groups are looking good.
as VASCAR2 mentioned, check the magazine feed lips. i adjusted my magazines' feed lips to present the cartridges at a very slight point up rather than flat. i've not had an issue with feeding so far. i have also not tried a huge variety of bullets in my AR either as components are scarce right now.
-tdbru
Finally, I am getting there...
I experimented extensively with Barnes Match Burners and some mysterious Hornady I bought here:https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/i...-250-count using CFE223, Win748 and BL-C2....
I found that both bullets liked CFE223 around 31gn being around 1MOA at 100 yards. Playing a little with seating depth I finally found something that my rifle seems to like:
Taking out the flyer, I am around 0.5 MOA.
Next step, I will try to confirm the performances of the load ( first and second new loads I am going to test tomorrow) and then fine-tune with a different combo of depths and powder but staying around the best load I have found so far.
Check the jump in your barrel and if it allows seat it at 2.290 work up in 2 tenth increases from 27 grains till you find a load with a average speed your happy with and has tight sd/es numbers.
Then adjust seating depth by 5 thousands at a time to get the group size you want.
Your going to need a chronograph and the tools to measure your jump to lands if you dont already have them.
I'm pretty new at reloading myself. The process you're suggesting is to dial in SD/ES first and work on group size after? I guess I should cave in and buy a chronograph.