Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Tested new SAOD upper today
#1
The intrigue of 6.5 mm bullets has captured my fancy in the last few years and I had to try the 6.5 Grendel on the AR platform. So I just got a 6.5 Grendel Upper for my AR's and it arrived today. It is a SAOD upper with 20" Lothar Walther barrel. I was concerned that it's a "Grendel variant", but all worked out well.

I have two AR's, but my Colt H-Bar has smaller pins and it's more of a hassle to change out uppers, so I put the new upper on the DPMS Sportical today and had a very fun day.

The winds were quite strong from the right and I will wait for a calmer day to test some handholds, but I had to shoot the gun today to get the scope zeroed and get a feel for the rifle. One of the scopes that was on hand was a 4-16x Konus Pro that has a mil-dot reticle and 30 mm tube. I won't keep it on the rifle permanently, but thought it would be appropriate for an initial range test.

I recently bought 8 boxes of the Hornady 6.5 Grendel match ammo that was on sale from Midway, featuring the 123 gr. A-max bullet that has a B.C. of .510. So this is the ammo I chose to use to break in my new barrel with. Once I got sighted in at 100 yards, I shot a few 3 shot groups just to get the scope adjusted. When it was about three inches high at 100 yards, I shot a 3 shot group that measured less than 1/2"! They could have been covered with a dime. Not bad for a new upper with factory ammo.

Despite the winds, I could not resist shooting at my steel targets at 300 and 400 yards. Instead of dialing in for the wind, I chose to hold off to the right and was rewarded with a group at 400 ids. that was approx. 2 1/2". I am absolutely amazed at this performance, since the collapsible stock on this rifle is so difficult (for me) to get stabilized in a rear bag. I cannot wait for a calm day to run paper targets up to 300 and 400 yards and see what this thing will do when it's got more than a few dozen rounds down the bore.

[Image: saodgrendelsm.jpg]

[Image: group100.jpg]

[Image: 400ydgrendel.jpg]
Reply
#2
Awesome range report! That blaster is begging for a Magpul ACS stock if you want to keep it with a telescoping butt. You'll find that you can get a very nice cheek weld with the angled comb of the ACS, LMT SOPMOD, or VLTOR telescoping butts. If you go fixed, get the PRS.

P.S.: Your barrel is broken in. Just shoot it and continue to get these results.
Reply
#3
Welcome! You have the bug. There is no going back now! Great report.

RR
Reply
#4
Nice shooting!
Reply
#5
I had a fairly nice day today to set up the chronograph and try some reloads for the new Grendel upper. The 8th Ed. Hornady manual has AA-2520 as the powder that gave the most velocity at safe levels and I had some on hand. I tried some handloads working my way up and could not believe the groups at 100 yds. Just so folks wouldn't think I was pasting over my "bad shots" and cherry picking my groups, I put up a clean target and took 3 shots from a solid rest. The results were less than 1/4 inch! This gun amazes me.

The 8th Ed. Hornady manual showed AA-2520 as the powder with the highest velocity capabilities and I had some on hand. Don't misunderstand me, I would never sacrifice accuracy for velocity. But when looking over my manuals, I'll try to use one of the powders that gives optimum results for the cartridge under consideration. In this case, it worked out very well! Less than 1/4" group for 3 shots from an AR platform and I've only had the thing for a few days!

[Image: riflechrono.jpg]

[Image: reloadgroup.jpg]

[Image: groupmeasurecopy.jpg]
Reply
#6
Now you know why the rest of us are hooked.LOL Good shooting. Now you can try some five and ten round groups next time. That is when it really starts to get interesting if you can stay steady!Smile
Reply
#7
Excellent range report again. Ain't it nice to see those bug holes. Here's some dope for 28" of Hg (barometric pressure for 1800ft ASL), 30% humidity, and 59 F temp. 10mph full value wind.

Code:
.......Range Velocity Energy Trajectory TOF Drift (yards) (fps) (ft-lb) (MILS) (sec) (MILS) 0 [B]2532[/B] 1751 0.00 0.0000 0.00 50 2451 1641 -0.35 0.0602 -0.10 [B]100 2372 1537 -0.00 0.1224 -0.19 [/B] 150 2294 1437 -0.17 0.1867 -0.29 [B]200 2218 1343 -0.48 0.2532 -0.40[/B] 250 2143 1254 -0.87 0.3220 -0.51 [B]300 2070 1170 -1.30 0.3932 -0.62 [/B] 350 1998 1090 -1.77 0.4670 -0.73 [B]400 1927 1014 -2.27 0.5434 -0.85[/B] 450 1858 943 -2.81 0.6227 -0.97 [B]500 1791 876 -3.38 0.7049 -1.10[/B] 550 1726 813 -3.98 0.7902 -1.23 [B]600 1662 755 -4.62 0.8787 -1.37[/B] 650 1601 700 -5.29 0.9707 -1.51 [B]700 1541 649 -6.00 1.0662 -1.66[/B] 750 1484 601 -6.75 1.1654 -1.81 [B]800 1429 558 -7.55 1.2684 -1.96[/B]
Reply
#8
Excellent setup and shooting. Thanks for the report with pics.

The 123gr A-max at 2532 fps from a 20" barrel using 28.1 grains of AA-2520 is quite fast. It would take ~1.5 grains more powder to reach that velocity from my 19.5" barrel.
Drifter
Reply
#9
LRRPF52 Wrote:Excellent range report again. Ain't it nice to see those bug holes. Here's some dope for 28" of Hg (barometric pressure for 1800ft ASL), 30% humidity, and 59 F temp. 10mph full value wind.

Code:
.......Range Velocity Energy Trajectory TOF Drift (yards) (fps) (ft-lb) (MILS) (sec) (MILS) 0 [B]2532[/B] 1751 0.00 0.0000 0.00 50 2451 1641 -0.35 0.0602 -0.10 [B]100 2372 1537 -0.00 0.1224 -0.19 [/B] 150 2294 1437 -0.17 0.1867 -0.29 [B]200 2218 1343 -0.48 0.2532 -0.40[/B] 250 2143 1254 -0.87 0.3220 -0.51 [B]300 2070 1170 -1.30 0.3932 -0.62 [/B] 350 1998 1090 -1.77 0.4670 -0.73 [B]400 1927 1014 -2.27 0.5434 -0.85[/B] 450 1858 943 -2.81 0.6227 -0.97 [B]500 1791 876 -3.38 0.7049 -1.10[/B] 550 1726 813 -3.98 0.7902 -1.23 [B]600 1662 755 -4.62 0.8787 -1.37[/B] 650 1601 700 -5.29 0.9707 -1.51 [B]700 1541 649 -6.00 1.0662 -1.66[/B] 750 1484 601 -6.75 1.1654 -1.81 [B]800 1429 558 -7.55 1.2684 -1.96[/B]
LRRPF52,
Thanks for the dope sheet. But the whole idea of "mils" leaves me scratching my head? I have to ask how to convert that to inches or m.o.a.??
Reply
#10
Drifter Wrote:Excellent setup and shooting. Thanks for the report with pics.

The 123gr A-max at 2532 fps from a 20" barrel using 28.1 grains of AA-2520 is quite fast. It would take ~1.5 grains more powder to reach that velocity from my 19.5" barrel.

Thanks Drifter,
I have a portable bench that I roll out of my garage to work on paper targets or steel to 200 yards. But the trees prohibit me from seeing the 300 and 400 yard targets from the driveway so I built the platform for the bed of my truck which is pictured in my driveway. It's an awesome setup and my reloading room is just a few footsteps away! Very convenient.

edited to add;
The Hornady manual shows much lower velocities but for some strange reason they used a 14.5" barrel! What's up with that? You can't even own a rifle with a barrel that short without a tax stamp & BATFE approval, can you?
Reply
#11
FWIW the Hornady factory ammo chrono'd as follows:
Hi- 2580.6
Lo- 2549.3
SD- 15.9
ES 31.3
Avg. 2563.3
The chart on the Hornady box claims 2580 f.p.s. with no specific barrel length given..
Reply
#12
Boy, you just got to feel good about that rifle. Nice range report, thanks.

You can use a 14.5" barrel with a flash suppressor or muzzle brake welded or permanently pinned to get the minimum 16".
Reply
#13
wiuprof Wrote:FWIW the Hornady factory ammo chrono'd as follows:
Hi- 2580.6
Lo- 2549.3
SD- 15.9
ES 31.3
Avg. 2563.3
The chart on the Hornady box claims 2580 f.p.s. with no specific barrel length given..

Hornady used the industry standard 24 inch barrel, as I recall.
”You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt
Reply
#14
wiuprof Wrote:LRRPF52,
Thanks for the dope sheet. But the whole idea of "mils" leaves me scratching my head? I have to ask how to convert that to inches or m.o.a.??
Yeah, LRRPF52 gets carried away and forgets that only a SMALL group of Americans use Mils and not MOA, LOL!!

Of course, he has good reason, he can shoot the eyelashes off a gnat at 500 paces, but still.....!!!!!!
”You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt
Reply
#15
wiuprof,
Nice post and thanks for the info. Looks like you got a great upper. If you lookin some of my previous posts you will see my SAOD upper in some photos, usually resting on top of some Grendelized critter. I've been very pleased with mine.
Good shooting!
PA
Reply
#16
wiuprof Wrote:LRRPF52,
Thanks for the dope sheet. But the whole idea of "mils" leaves me scratching my head? I have to ask how to convert that to inches or m.o.a.??

Prof:

Technically, one mil = 3.375 minutes. However, you may find it easier to just use 3.5 minutes per mil if you have to do the math without a calculator. From 100 - 600 yards we generally go with 15 or 16 minutes. His read out gives a come up of 4.62 mils from 100 - 600 yards. 4.62 X 3.375 = 15.5 minutes which is good enough for anything.

LR1955
Reply
#17
I looked up the mean altitude of Illinois, which is 600ft ASL. That's 29.3" of mercury on the barometer. Here's the dope in MOA for a 100yd zero at 2532fps with a 123gr with a .510 G1 BC:

Code:
.......Range Velocity Energy Trajectory TOF Drift (yards) (fps) (ft-lb) (MOA) (sec) (MOA) 0 [B] 2532 [/B]1751 0.00 0.0000 0.00 50 2448 1636 -1.19 0.0602 -0.34 100 2365 1527 0.00 0.1226 -0.70 150 2283 1424 -0.59 0.1871 -1.06 [B]200 2204 1326 -1.68 0.2540 -1.44[/B] 250 2126 1234 -3.02 0.3233 -1.83 [B]300 2049 1147 -4.53 0.3951 -2.23[/B] 350 1975 1065 -6.17 0.4697 -2.65 [B]400 1901 987 -7.93 0.5471 -3.08[/B] 450 1830 915 -9.81 0.6275 -3.53 [B]500 1761 847 -11.81 0.7111 -4.00[/B] 550 1693 783 -13.93 0.7980 -4.48 [B]600 1628 724 -16.19 0.8883 -4.98[/B] 650 1565 668 -18.57 0.9823 -5.49 [B]700 1504 618 -21.10 1.0801 -6.03[/B] 750 1445 571 -23.79 1.1819 -6.58 [B]800 1390 528 -26.63 1.2877 -7.15[/B]

Now you have to convert your MOA's into a clickable value, so -1.68 MOA becomes 1.75 MOA, or 1 MOA plus 3 clicks if you have a 1/4 Minute turret.

With Mils, everything is in tenths with .1 Mil clicks, which is very easy to work with when generating your dope and when under stress. Wichever one you get used to, they both are fine, especially when you have matching turrets to the reticle like NF, USO, S&B, Premier, and Vortex offer.
Reply
#18
Whelenon Wrote:Boy, you just got to feel good about that rifle. Nice range report, thanks.

You can use a 14.5" barrel with a flash suppressor or muzzle brake welded or permanently pinned to get the minimum 16".

Yes, I was aware of that, but doesn't it seem strange that Hornady would choose that barrel length for their tests? What percentage of reloaders for that particular cartridge are reloading for a 14.5" barreled gun?
Reply
#19
wiuprof Wrote:Yes, I was aware of that, but doesn't it seem strange that Hornady would choose that barrel length for their tests? What percentage of reloaders for that particular cartridge are reloading for a 14.5" barreled gun?

All us dudes who hunt and hate long barrels of course!Big Grin Wink The 14.5" is as handy as you can get wthout doing NFA paperwork.

The real reason though is very likely that they only had a 14.5" upper available because that is what Bill A. Sent them. I just happen to like my first reason better.LOLBig Grin
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)