Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
New personal best deer
#1
I hunt public lands in Florida and for deer have been very unsuccessful. This is my first deer in probably 10 years and I hunt probably 15 days a season from before sunrise to after sunset. When I go to the woods I go to the woods. I kill hogs every year and see tons of doe but rarely see a buck while hunting.

Two years ago I shot a buck with the 110g controlled chaos. My buddy and I both witnessed the impact right behind the shoulder where I was aiming and never found the buck. I was sick about it and really contemplated wanting to continue hunting at all. Well my hunting buddy hit me up on wednesday asking if I wanted to head out to the management area and camp and hunt for a couple of days and I said “sure”, since I just wanted to get out and camp with the guys. I didn't even bring my large game cooler and I'm never bringing it again either.

I walked out yesterday morning at first light and walked some oak hammocks. After about an hour I jumped a bunch of deer out of a hammock. I saw three of them which were all does but heard a few others crash in other directions. I followed the sound of one that I didn't see just to see if it was a buck. I didn't see that deer at that time but I saw a very old tree stand that had clearly been there for many years. I decided to just go sit in it and see if the deer would come back. This was a very uncomfortable stand but I sat in it from 10 am until 5pm when a buck had silently snuck in behind my left shoulder and I spotted him at less then 10 yards from my tree...staring right at me.

After about a 20 second stare off he did a hard flinch and I knew it wasnt going to happen. He bolted back behind me into the really thick oak hammock. So I reacted by yelling at him with a noise I heard on a tv show once that has stopped deer in the past. He stopped his run about instantly and walked a couple more steps and looked back at me. I could see the buck but had no shot on him at all. He was about 30 yards away and I was saying, “Walk left, walk left, walk left." over and over to myself.

I had a small window between 2 trees about 18 inches apart that if he walked behind or in front of I would have a shot at him. He looked the other way so I set up my rifle, aimed between those two trees, and he actually starting walking to the left. I stared through my scope and and I saw his head apear, antlers, neck, left shoulder, BANG. He bolted hard running through the water. I watched him run about 20 yards and then lost sight due to the thick vegetation and I heard him run for only a few more yards and then heard nothing.

I didnt think he went down because I didnt hear anything that sounded like him crashing. I got down and went to the two trees looking for blood. NOTHING. I followed the path I saw him run on looking for blood. NOTHING. I'm sick again telling myself if I dont find this deer, I'm done. I walk about 10 more yards and see him laying dead on the ground with his head and antlers stuck upright tangled in a bush. It's my personal best by far and for SOUTH Florida public land, it's a good one.

[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=17126&d=1605398956]

Sorry for the long post but I'm pretty excited. 12" spread 6 point 130 lbs. When dragging him out I looked up and witnessed the launch from the space center to which was pretty awesome and I didnt expect it. Entrance was dead center of the left shoulder, his right leg was forward as he was walking so exit wound came out a little low but it was from the downward angle of the shot from the tree stand and deer being about 20-30 yards away. Picture of exit hole from the 110g maker trex. Not sure why the pictures are uploading turned 90 degrees.

[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=17127&d=1605398975]

[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=17128&d=1605398989]


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
               
Reply
#2
Thanks for taking us along on your hunt, congrats on a fine buck and personal best buck at that.

Enjoy the venison and the launch shot is cool as well
Reply
#3
Awesome
Reply
#4
What an ending to a great story! I see a lot of deer but never a space launch. Congratulations on the personal best.
Reply
#5
Congratulations! Leave that cooler at home!
Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?
Reply
#6
Congratulations on your buck.
Reply
#7
Congratulations on a great buck and a very cool hunt. Thank you for sharing it with us.
peak98
Reply
#8
well done Bigs28. enjoy the meat.
-tdbru
Reply
#9
Bigs, that's awesome! The deer & the rocket. Really cool! Cool
I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.
Reply
#10
Congrats on the buck and thanks for a great story .
Reply
#11
Great account of a well done hunt.
You sure earned that one. Good photos too!
Reply
#12
Awesome buck congrats man!
"One Good Shot Is All I Need."
Reply
#13
What a great story, thank you for sharing that. Made me think of my dad's old adage often said about hunting..."the agony of defeat & the thrill of victory"

CONGRATS!!!
John 11:25-26
Reply
#14
Bigs, congrats on the nice Florida deer. Loved the blow by blow telling of story.

Did the bullet perform as advertised in your opinion?

SY
Reply
#15
Congrats Bigs! I’ll bet you never forget that hunt.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply
#16
Thanks everyone.


Lrrpf52 thank you for fixing the typos and grammar.

Arkhangel5 i didn't open the gut cavity but the entrance in the shoulder had immediate expansion and was completely wrecked. Exit hole had a very good diameter. I didn't measure but the hole was probably double the diameter of the bullet. The rib cage had multiple areas with very large hematomas that told me the entire gut cavity was wrecked. My only concern was very little blood outside either entrance or exit wound and no blood trail but when i hung the deer the blood was pouring out so it was definitely in their. When i process the meat later this week i will check the entrance shoulder better. As far as my expectations for the bullet, the deer ran maybe 30ish yards and died so im happy with that.
Reply
#17
Awesome story! Congratulations!
Reply
#18
Congrats and way to hang in there!
Reply
#19
Awesome story! Congrats on your best to date! Very good job of bringing the reader along, as I felt I was right there, looking between those two trees!!!
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)