Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Whitetail buck
#1
This morning was a perfect morning to hunt deer.Dead calm,a little frost on the ground and clear skies.
I went to my favourite spot not far from home.At first light a small 4 point came so close to me I could almost touch it.I took a picture but it was poor light and didn't turn out very good.Too bad.
I continued on in this old logging area and a doe appeared.I froze.She was curious and came fairly close to me then wondered off.
I decide to try some rattling near this spot.Nothing.I continued on following a deer trail above a creek draw for a quarter mile then turned around as it was very thick.
Eventually I come to a large opening and spot this buck running across about 300 yards from me .I grabbed my antlers off my shoulder and bash them together as hard as possible.The buck is now 400 yards away and about to run down into a brushy draw.With my continued rattling the buck skids to a stop then turns around.I pause on the rattling a bit then clash the antlers a few more times then the buck starts running back where he came from.
I don't like where I'm standing so I move about 25 yards to a better position between some young fir trees on the edge of an opening about 75 yards in diameter of old logging slash.I lean my rifle against a tree and start lightly rattling again a few times then drop the antlers a pick up my pipe ready to shoot if he appears.With my grunt tube in my mouth I grunted a few times softly.
There he is opposite me in the bush on the other side of the logging slash.He's circling me trying to get down wind.Trying to find an opening to shoot through he quarters away going through the trees I fire an offhand shot.I didn't lead him enough and hit him a bit far back.He stumbles at the impact but dosen't go down.I chamber another round in an instant.The bush is so thick I can't see for a clear shot.His head and neck show in a small window so I take another crack at him.A branch between me and him breaks off but that's OK 'cause he moved to a better spot and I put one through his lungs and down he goes.[ATTACH=CONFIG]17078[/ATTACH]
That was cool.Things happened fast.Another great experience. file:///media/fuse/drivefs-4e0536abb2005852075d19416327d459/root/Chrome%20OS%20Cloud%20backup/2020-11-06/DSCF4890.JPG


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
   
Reply
#2
Sounds like you had quite an adventure to get him. Congratulations on a nice buck.
Reply
#3
Good buck, congrats
Reply
#4
Nice deer down!
Reply
#5
ThatÂ’s a good deer, Congrats!
Reply
#6
Thanks guys
Yea it is pretty neat watching deer making their way through the bush not making a sound.Calling any wild animals is the most fun for me.Being able to speak their language.
Reply
#7
Congratulations on an exciting hunt and a fine buck!
peak98
Reply
#8
Great story and a great buck , congrats .
Reply
#9
Nice Horns!
Reply
#10
Here is the deer at first light I could have touched.[ATTACH=CONFIG]17082[/ATTACH]You can see the smoke from a burn pile smouldering away in the background.


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
   
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)