Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Going to Wyoming in October for a Cow Elk, with my 6.5 Grendel.
#1
Folks,


After much mulling, I have decided to take my 6.5 Grendel to Wyoming for a cow elk hunt. It is perfectly legal. I understand the limitations of the cartridge. I will have my 30-06 Vanguard as backup. And I will use it only if the guide forbids me to use the Grendel.
I will be using one of my builds, which will be a Monster 6.5 Grendel 16 inch 1:7.5 twist that I purchased from Blunt Force Traumas web site. I will be using a 129gr Nosler ABLR that will leave the barrel at 2400fps. This planned load still has 1100 ft/lbs at 400 yards. I used a Grendel that I had built last year to take a Pronghorn doe last year. At the time I used a 123gr SST, which just liquified the lungs of the doe.
I am confident I am up to the task, the low recoil, characteristics of the bullet, and the practice will get the job done. A2
Reply
#2
Good luck. What area are you hunting? I have no doubts on the capability of you or the gun. Keep in mind an elk is many times larger than a pronghorn so I wouldn't use the pronghorn as a measure of the Grendel's performance.
Reply
#3
Naw,


Oh yeah I understand the difference between the two. My nephew and I will be going to Star Valley area, Afton in west central Wyoming. A2
Reply
#4
Good luck A2. having taken quite a few cow elk when i lived in AZ, elk can be some tough critters. i'd recommend getting as close as you can before the shot. shot placement is always key, regardless of caliber, but with the Gr. your margin for error is not the same as your 30-06 margin of error. but i'm sure you know all this anyway. just don't be surprised if you have a long tracking job for recovery. i hope it drops in it's tracks for you. long tracking jobs are never fun.
-tdbru
Reply
#5
td,

Thanks, and your wise advice is noted. A2
Reply
#6
Td,


I will take your advice, I will use the 30-06, with an 168gr Nosler ABLR. At 2800fps, it still has 1600 ft/lbs at 500 yards. I won’t skimp. A2
Reply
#7
Good luck. Hoping to hear a great story in a few weeks. What's your recipe for the 129 ABLR?
Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?
Reply
#8
A2,
if the cow elk is undisturbed and is unaware of you, and if you can get close enough, the Gr. will work with good shot placement. if they've been chased around a bit and shot at earlier in the day, and come running by you, their adrenaline could be pumped up and under those conditions they can be quite tough to kill, even with an '06. i've run into that before. Cows generally let you get a bit closer than the bulls do, but the cows run in herds, so they have lots of eyeballs on the lookout. if you can afford the extra luggage, bring 'em both, and when you see the hunting conditions, then decide. and above all else, HAVE FUN. enjoy the beautiful country. i hope you can put a bunch of yummy elk meat in your freezer this year.
-tdbru
Reply
#9
td,


I agree with what you are saying. It is better to haul a bit more weight around, and have a better chance of bringing the cow down. A2
Reply
#10
a2 I'm one who believes that shot placement is more important than the caliber used. Between your 30/06 and Grendel which do you shoot more accurately and have the most confidence in using? Remember Bell killed Elephant with his 7mm and the Fin's favor the 6x55 for their Moose hunting. That said, best of luck and have fun.
"Wild flower, growin' thru the cracks in the street" - Problem Child by Little Big Town
Reply
#11
a2 I'm one who believes that shot placement is more important than the caliber used. Between your 30/06 and Grendel which do you shoot more accurately and have the most confidence in using? Remember Bell killed Elephant with his 7mm and the Fin's favor the 6x55 for their Moose hunting. That said, best of luck, have fun, and practice-practice-practice.Big Grin
"Wild flower, growin' thru the cracks in the street" - Problem Child by Little Big Town
Reply
#12
Shoot Well! Should be a great time!!
Kill a hog. Save the planet.
My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Reply
#13
"What's your recipe for the 129 ABLR?"

I am curious also.
Reply
#14
i would feel same with that combo, 400 yard limit in ideal conditions, slam dunk, the cartridge and bullet will have no issues getting the job done, and your odds of shot placement will be very high
Reply
#15
Mad Charlie Wrote:"What's your recipe for the 129 ABLR?"

I am curious also.

II have loaded my 24 Inch AR and 22 inch bolt action and know several others that have found a very good accuracy node between 30 and 30.9 grains of powder in Lapua or Hornady brass, just work it up for your brass and rifle. Same could be said for the 130gr AR Hybrid. 2.265 oal works in mind ans does 2.285 in my CZ
Reply
#16
kmon Wrote:II have loaded my 24 Inch AR and 22 inch bolt action and know several others that have found a very good accuracy node between 30 and 30.9 grains of powder in Lapua or Hornady brass, just work it up for your brass and rifle. Same could be said for the 130gr AR Hybrid. 2.265 oal works in mind ans does 2.285 in my CZ

Thanks kmon, which powder?
Reply
#17
Sorry about leaving the powder out CFE 233
Reply
#18
That should be a good area to hunt and you should do well. Good Luck!
Reply
#19
Put that 129 ablr in the high shoulder/spine and your elk cow wont go anywhere.

I will never understand the desire to shoot game animals in the heart and lungs and have to watch them run off and track them.

Personally I would leave the 06 in the gun safe and go put my cow down with the grendel. But whatever you decide good luck and happy hunting.
Reply
#20
Quote:Put that 129 ablr in the high shoulder/spine and your elk cow wont go anywhere.

In other words, hit the spine or do significant indirect damage to the spine (hyrdraulic/hydrostatic shock) such that the animal is crippled and dies quickly with no trailing or is outright killed.
Kill a hog. Save the planet.
My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)