08-07-2020, 01:53 PM
Getting ready to start my first load development with the 129 ABLR. Has anyone experienced better precision/groups using VLD vs. standard inside chamfer?
|
Chamfer for ABLR
|
|
08-07-2020, 01:53 PM
Getting ready to start my first load development with the 129 ABLR. Has anyone experienced better precision/groups using VLD vs. standard inside chamfer?
08-07-2020, 02:02 PM
Never tried the VLD chamfer, I just use the one on the RCBS case prep tool or like I used for years a countersink. Easily got sub mOA loads from ABLR loads.
I did use some accuglass bedding compound with a bullet to make the seeting stem match the bullet profile.
08-07-2020, 02:09 PM
kmon Wrote:Never tried the VLD chamfer, I just use the one on the RCBS case prep tool or like I used for years a countersink. Easily got sub mOA loads from ABLR loads. Thanks! I use Hornady dies and purchased their A-TIP setting stem. It worked on the 130RDF and 118 MKZ and did not damage the tip.
08-09-2020, 02:14 AM
I use the vld chamfer exclusively for all my brass. I like the longer angle it gives the case mouth. Inner chamfer. For boat tails maybe not so much a diff but certainly for flat base pills, but like I said itÂ’s part of my regular brass routine, even for new brass.
"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
08-09-2020, 03:58 AM
65GBY,
I have a few of these tools but mainly use a hand-held VLD chamfer once only on new brass. Unless using bulk cases for plinking and that gets the Lyman tool in a power drill, again, once only. I don't imagine the angle on your chamfer is going to make any difference to accuracy, and even if it did it would be so minute that you wouldn't notice it. There are way more influential variables affecting group size. As long as the chamfer is square to the case so when the bullet shank clears the neck gas is not favoring one side.
08-10-2020, 06:44 PM
I polished the bullet seater plug that came in my Hornady set and it does not deform the ABLRs.
My brass prep station came with VLD chamfering tool, so that is all I have used since getting it. |
|
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
|