Posts: 941
Threads: 46
Joined: Sep 2016
man this makes shiny brass
bit of a pain getting all the pins outa the cases, but great results
Posts: 1,238
Threads: 51
Joined: Dec 2017
mdram Wrote:man this makes shiny brass
bit of a pain getting all the pins outa the cases, but great results
Love mine too. I got the Magnet Gizmo from Frankford Arsenal, works great, speeds up the process by an order of magnitude!
Posts: 314
Threads: 32
Joined: Jul 2017
If you do enough wet tumbling get a RCBS Rotary Case and Media Separator://www.midwayusa.com/product/101291700.
Fill it with water, pins wash out of cases. Dump water and repeat twice.
Posts: 941
Threads: 46
Joined: Sep 2016
magnet? hmmm wonder what ss media they use thats magnetic? must be a 400 series.
i will look into that
i got the lyman cyclone kit with the 2 trays, one that stops brass, one that catches the pins
Posts: 135
Threads: 9
Joined: Mar 2011
I used the pins about twice, not worth the effort to pick them out. My brass is still shiny clean without the pins and hassle. If you have to have the inside of your brass super clean then the pins do help but for cleaning the outside no need to hassle with the pins. Give it a try without pins.
Posts: 830
Threads: 31
Joined: May 2017
Chips work much better than pins.
Posts: 55
Threads: 15
Joined: Jan 2018
Mad Charlie Wrote:Chips work much better than pins.
Which chips are you using?
Posts: 830
Threads: 31
Joined: May 2017
I am not using chips yet, but a good friend and shooting buddy does. I will, in the near future be replacing my pins with the chips based on his results. They do a better job on primer pockets and seem to come out of the cases easier. I only tumble with SS when my cases are getting pretty grungy, other wise I just clean with a rag and mineral spirits or alcohol.
This is where he sourced his, there are others.
https://www.sleepinggiantbrass.com/STAIN...LING-MEDIA
Posts: 35
Threads: 5
Joined: Mar 2018
Built my own tumbler from an old kids toy car motor, computer power supply, pvc pipe and wood. I think it cost about $10. Works great and can clean a few hundred at a time. I use a salad strainer to separate the pins then a magnet. Just got in a Cyclone drier and an Annealeeze on order. So, if anyone wants to send me their once fired brass....

Might look into the chips, but the pins work fine for now.
Posts: 989
Threads: 64
Joined: Feb 2019
65newloader, I would very much like to have more info on your home brew tumbler. I am in the process of building one and could use some good ideas. A few pics perhaps? My current concern is the motor size/speed needed for a medium sized batch of brass (100 to 200).
Posts: 1,238
Threads: 51
Joined: Dec 2017
mdram Wrote:magnet? hmmm wonder what ss media they use thats magnetic? must be a 400 series.
i will look into that
i got the lyman cyclone kit with the 2 trays, one that stops brass, one that catches the pins
You know, thats a good question. Didnt even think about that because others had had success. Anyway, I can assure you, it does work, and rather well.