Posts: 77
Threads: 6
Joined: Aug 2018
Does Hornady still make these. They don't show them on their web site. Powder Valley and Midway don't list them. Mid south has them. I wanted to play with them, but if they are going out of production i won't waste my time. Wanted to call Hornady this week, but time got away.
Posts: 640
Threads: 75
Joined: Jan 2019
You might talk to Midsouth first they could probably tell you what the deal is with these bullets. I shoot them myself. When I bought my last batch of the 123 HPBT they said then that when they were gone that that was going to be it. I then saw them come back into stock so can't tell whether they are going to be gone or not. I just ordered some more.
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 8
Joined: Nov 2017
Midsouth has them in 250 bag for about 56.00 .
Posts: 77
Threads: 6
Joined: Aug 2018
jasper2408 Wrote:You might talk to Midsouth first they could probably tell you what the deal is with these bullets. I shoot them myself. When I bought my last batch of the 123 HPBT they said then that when they were gone that that was going to be it. I then saw them come back into stock so can't tell whether they are going to be gone or not. I just ordered some more.
They had a notice on the site a year or so ago saying the same thing. That's why i steered away from them.
Posts: 640
Threads: 75
Joined: Jan 2019
glk45 Wrote:They had a notice on the site a year or so ago saying the same thing. That's why i steered away from them.
If I had to I could switch to their Monster bullets which is supposed to be Nosler and I did get pretty good results with the Nosler 123gr CC HPBT(both the factory box and blems) and the Hornady 123gr ELD-M. I have only shot them in my AR though so I was not able to play around with seating depth too much.
You have peaked my interest now so I am going to contact Midsouth Monday and see what they say.
Posts: 77
Threads: 6
Joined: Aug 2018
jasper2408 Wrote:If I had to I could switch to their Monster bullets which is supposed to be Nosler and I did get pretty good results with the Nosler 123gr CC HPBT(both the factory box and blems) and the Hornady 123gr ELD-M. I have only shot them in my AR though so I was not able to play around with seating depth too much.
You have peaked my interest now so I am going to contact Midsouth Monday and see what they say.
Cheap stake me was looking for something a little cheaper than the ELD-X that i,ve been shooting.
Posts: 640
Threads: 75
Joined: Jan 2019
glk45 Wrote:Cheap stake me was looking for something a little cheaper than the ELD-X that i,ve been shooting.
Hey, I'm right there with ya.
Posts: 1,479
Threads: 108
Joined: Nov 2019
08-02-2020, 03:10 PM
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2020, 03:14 PM by mel.)
jasper2408 Wrote:If I had to I could switch to their Monster bullets which is supposed to be Nosler and I did get pretty good results with the Nosler 123gr CC HPBT(both the factory box and blems) and the Hornady 123gr ELD-M. I have only shot them in my AR though so I was not able to play around with seating depth too much.
You have peaked my interest now so I am going to contact Midsouth Monday and see what they say.
be aware that the ms mm 123 bullets are oversized i ordered 500 a long time back and they measure 2.655-2.66 in diam had issues shooting them out of most of my 6.5 guns
im heading over to the shop here shortly ill grab the calipers and take some measurement pics again
Posts: 640
Threads: 75
Joined: Jan 2019
mel Wrote:be aware that the ms mm 123 bullets are oversized i ordered 500 a long time back and they measure 2.655-2.66 in diam had issues shooting them out of most of my 6.5 guns
im heading over to the shop here shortly ill grab the calipers and take some measurement pics again
That is good to know. Was going to order one of the sample packs and decided to wait until my next bullet order.
Posts: 1,479
Threads: 108
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 77
Threads: 6
Joined: Aug 2018
mel Wrote:be aware that the ms mm 123 bullets are oversized i ordered 500 a long time back and they measure 2.655-2.66 in diam had issues shooting them out of most of my 6.5 guns
im heading over to the shop here shortly ill grab the calipers and take some measurement pics again
I've heard that more than once about those.
Posts: 640
Threads: 75
Joined: Jan 2019
I talked to Midsouth yesterday and was only able to talk to a young lady that was a sales rep and she couldn't give me any info on the Hornady 123gr BTHP. I am still waiting to hear back from Hornady.
If they quit making them I will just switch to something else but not the Monster bullets. I have loads worked up for other 123gr bullets so I am good to go.
Posts: 625
Threads: 34
Joined: Nov 2018
Try measuring another brand bullet. When I measure the MSSS MM bullets they are dead on 0.2640".
As far as the Hornady, I doubt will stop making them. Aren't the 123gr HPBT the same bullet in their Gunner / Frontier line ammo?
Posts: 830
Threads: 31
Joined: May 2017
08-04-2020, 10:00 PM
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2020, 10:05 PM by Mad Charlie.)
Mel, snag up a good Starrett or Mitutoyo 0-1" micrometer with tenths scale, much better for accurate measurements.
You might be surprised how much calipers can be off.
https://www.amazon.com/Mitutoyo-103-260-...182&sr=8-3
Posts: 640
Threads: 75
Joined: Jan 2019
Happy2Shoot Wrote:Try measuring another brand bullet. When I measure the MSSS MM bullets they are dead on 0.2640".
As far as the Hornady, I doubt will stop making them. Aren't the 123gr HPBT the same bullet in their Gunner / Frontier line ammo?
They were also offered in the Black at one time too (#81512). I got that from a UTube video I saw.
I measured all my Noslers(100gr blems,130gr,140gr) and they all are .2635. Sierra 107gr is .2635. The Hornadys are all .264.
Posts: 1,479
Threads: 108
Joined: Nov 2019
Mad Charlie Wrote:Mel, snag up a good Starrett or Mitutoyo 0-1" micrometer with tenths scale, much better for accurate measurements.
You might be surprised how much calipers can be off.
https://www.amazon.com/Mitutoyo-103-260-...182&sr=8-3
I have good starretts I just don't use them for my reloading stuff but I did measure the Ms mm bullets and came up with the same with them ,I've been sitting on this box close to a year now so maybe just that run . I also did compare to my nosler rdf eld etc etc bullets and those did come up correct.
I was blowing primers and seeing big pressure signs with the Ms mm bullets in multiple guns at low to mid range loads
Posts: 6,193
Threads: 170
Joined: Mar 2015
mel Wrote:I have good starretts I just don't use them for my reloading stuff but I did measure the Ms mm bullets and came up with the same with them ,I've been sitting on this box close to a year now so maybe just that run . I also did compare to my nosler rdf eld etc etc bullets and those did come up correct.
I was blowing primers and seeing big pressure signs with the Ms mm bullets in multiple guns at low to mid range loads
Mel by any chance we're your running these from your creedmoor as well. Might be the reason behind what we were discussing last week.
Posts: 20
Threads: 4
Joined: Nov 2019
By to way Chinese crap is lot of internet. They have many copies example Mitutoyo.
But normal caliber standards given accuracy tolerances about 0,005" or 0,003mm. Micrometer is better equipment to measure bullets.
Posts: 1,479
Threads: 108
Joined: Nov 2019
08-05-2020, 02:16 PM
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2020, 02:36 PM by mel.)
A5BLASTER Wrote:Mel by any chance we're your running these from your creedmoor as well. Might be the reason behind what we were discussing last week.
i tried running them in all my 6.5 guns same issues in all of them
and those midway calipers match my good calipers readings its why i use them , i keep my good calipers and othe rmeasuring tools put away unless im doing some machine work on the lathe or in the mill
my a-tips - tnt - eld - rdf bullets come up at the proper diam
Posts: 640
Threads: 75
Joined: Jan 2019
Just got a reply from Hornady about the Hornady 123gr BTHP that Midsouth sells.
This is what they said.
Quote:This is a contracted bullet just for Midsouth. So as long as they keep ordering these bullets we will keep producing it.