Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Shopping List for New Reloader - LFP Hunting Rounds
#1
Hi all, new Grendel shooter and reloader here. I've been lurking and reading, but now that the time is here to start buying I am looking for some feedback. A few caveats as you read the below:
First, I'm in California so ordering complete LFP ammo online or finding it in stock locally is near impossible.
Second, this post is being made during the COVID-19 end times and components may be limited to what is available, not just the best of the best.
Third, LFP bullets must be blessed by CA DFW overlords.
Fourth, intended targets include CA deer (blacktail and muley hybrids), pigs, and coyotes out to 200-225 yards (most have been taken within 100yds).
Fifth, velocity is important to me to ensure the projectiles open properly and result in an ethical kill.
Sixth (and final?) anything that can also be used to reload .243, .223, or 9mm is a plus.

Not particularly enthusiastic about spending $1000+ to start reloading, but it's probably a useful skill to have. Only factory option I see in stock with a lighter projectile is from Precision Firearms 100 TTSX $125/50. Barnes VorTX 115gr is out of stock nationwide.

What I have: RCBS RockChucker Supreme Kit : Rock Chucker Supreme Press • M500 Mechanical Scale • Uniflow Powder Measure • Hand Priming Tool • Universal Case Load Block • .17-.60 Debur Tool • Hex Key Set • Case Lube Kit • Powder Funnel • Nosler #7 Reloading Manual. AR15 with 20" Grendel upper. Frankford Arsenal digital caliper. A nice workbench that I built. Motivation. That's about it

What I need, prices as of 7/14/2020:
Bullets - Options include 110gr Hammer Hunter $55/50; 99gr Hammer Hunter $53/50; CBB MKZ 118gr $37/50; Barnes TTSX 100 gr $33/50 ; Could not find Barnes 115gr as a component, only loaded ammo which is out of stock nationwide.
Primers - CCI Small Rifle Primers, either 400, 450, or #41 depending on availability. up to $40/1000
Powder - 1lb each CFE223, H335, IMR8208 to develop loads and see what works best for the lighter LFP rounds
Brass - plan is to buy regular lead ammo to break in the barrel and sight in the scope, then reload that brass with LFP. $200/200 rounds Hornady American Gunner.
Dies - Seems like a full length die is recommended for semi-auto. RCBS to match the press ($40)? Hornady ($34)?
Case trimmer - Reading this is needed for resizing semi-auto fired brass. What is the budget option since I'm not loading for volume? This Lyman Accutrimmer at $50?
Brass cleaning - Drum tumbler $60 with stainless steel media $40/5lb
Chronograph - Caldwell G2 $236 or buy-once-cry-once Labradar $559?

Hopefully someone is still reading, final three questions:

Is there an absolute necessity that I missed? ETA: Forgot about a Shell Holder, need RCBS #32 - $8
What would be on the optional list but would make life easier or better ammo?
Where can I trim my budget?

List is ~$925 + Tax/shipping or $1250 with the Labradar to develop 200 rounds of hunting ammo. Woof.
Reply
#2
im currently in a similar boat, im just starting up, and buying stuff as i find it
all i can say is good luck in your search

edit:
if you find primers online, let me know Smile
Reply
#3
Get a bullet puller. RCBS inertia works good.
Reply
#4
Bottomdweller Wrote:Get a bullet puller. RCBS inertia works good.

Something all new handloaders should have, and old ones too.
Reply
#5
I'd say you will likely need or want a Hornady headspace comparator and the appropriate bushing, "B" 0.350
Given you are loading for an AR you will be constrained by magazine length and using mostly book values for COAL, but the bullet comparator will give you a better idea of how consistent your seating is, #5 0.260 is what you want.

The Hornady O.A.L. gauge and modified case fall into the nice to have but not mandatory to start with camp for an AR.
Reply
#6
Mad Charlie Wrote:Something all new handloaders should have, and old ones too.

What? Who makes mistakes... lol

OP it looks like you pretty much have it covered. I would add a Hornaday Lock and Load Conversion kit
Once you set it up your reloading will be much easier. You could also save a few bucks with the Hornaday dies instead of the RCBS.
I am sure others will add their comments too.
Reply
#7
HuntJefferson,
please get with a shooting range/club. often times reloading gear is offered in club newsletters for much less than retail and works fine. Since RCBS, Redding, etc. make stuff to last a lifetime, buying used is not buying lesser quality, usually, and can save lots of $.. i bought my RCBS rock chucker press as a used press. that was almost 40 years ago. still running strong and tight. so as far as the chrono, the tumbler, the trimmer, and possibly the dies, don't hesitate to look into used gear to save $. or put a WTB ad in the range/club news letter and see what might turn up. a lot of my reloading tools were bought used, still give great service, and saved me a bunch of $.
-tdbru
Reply
#8
Sounds like you’ve got a good start. Get some experience. Because I guarantee you will want to swap out some of the tools you bought,especially the scale.. In the long run, the RCBS rock chucker press is probably one of the only things you’ll keep.I have my going on 40 years.
As far as the trimmer goes.IMO Lee is junk.You need your case size is to be consistent.LE Wilson makes a great trimmer, but it’ll cost you a Small fortune with all the holders you need to buy. RCBS doesn’t make a bad trimmer and you can also put an attachment for an electronic screw driver (Under 300rpm).
Reply
#9
FLshooter Wrote:Sounds like you’ve got a good start. Get some experience. Because I guarantee you will want to swap out some of the tools you bought,especially the scale.. In the long run, the RCBS rock chucker press is probably one of the only things you’ll keep.I have my going on 40 years.
As far as the trimmer goes.IMO Lee is junk.You need your case size is to be consistent.LE Wilson makes a great trimmer, but it’ll cost you a Small fortune with all the holders you need to buy. RCBS doesn’t make a bad trimmer and you can also put an attachment for an electronic screw driver (Under 300rpm).
My brother in law had the RCBS kit unopened in his garage so it’s actually just on loan when I told him I couldn’t find ammo. Little did I know the press was the cheap part haha
Reply
#10
HuntJefferson Wrote:My brother in law had the RCBS kit unopened in his garage so it’s actually just on loan when I told him I couldn’t find ammo. Little did I know the press was the cheap part haha
Actually the RCBS rock chucker press is the best part of that kit.I still have the same rock chucker Press I started re-loading with in the 80s. It’s a great press that you’ll probably never outgrow.Everything else in that kit, you will outgrow.
Reply
#11
Throw a classified add up on a local or regional classified add, (gun friendly), site like Rennug or Armslist for what you need. Buy or trade. Folks who have extras will respond if you have something they need or if they need cash! Check Gunbroker for reloading materials as well.
Reply
#12
mdram Wrote:im currently in a similar boat, im just starting up, and buying stuff as i find it
all i can say is good luck in your search

edit:
if you find primers online, let me know Smile

Sportsman's Warehouse has Remington 7 1/2 BR primers online for $23/1000, limit one. I ordered store pickup, ETA 7/29 no hazmat charges

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gear.../p/1221369
Reply
#13
HuntJefferson Wrote:Sportsman's Warehouse has Remington 7 1/2 BR primers online for $23/1000, limit one. I ordered store pickup, ETA 7/29 no hazmat charges

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gear.../p/1221369

pickup only, and none around here, but thanks
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)