Posts: 103
Threads: 17
Joined: Jul 2019
Hello. I'm m new to the forum and also 6.5 grendel I have been rifle reloading for sometime now and i need dies for the grendel.
I have a forster coax and a rockchucker for my rifle reloads.
I have look at forster full length and the micro seater die but wondering what dies everyone is using to give them the best results.
Thanks
Briano
Posts: 46
Threads: 0
Joined: Jun 2020
I get by just fine with Hornady New Dimension dies and was thinking of getting a Lee collet die for sizing. I load for over 45 different calibers and have dies in every flavor imaginable and the Hornady dies get me under MOA.
If I agreed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
Posts: 435
Threads: 16
Joined: Feb 2019
Plus 1 for the Hornaday dies.
Posts: 241
Threads: 8
Joined: Jun 2014
I use a Redding full length bushing die and an LE Wilson seater with a micrometer top and the VLD seater stem.
Posts: 243
Threads: 13
Joined: May 2014
I used to use a Hornady seating die until I bought a Redding competition seating die. Both dies have a floating chamber that holds the bullet in place on the way up.
This chamber on the Redding is an extremely tight fit without any side to side looseness.
With the Hornady, there's quite a bit of side to side flop in the floating chamber. The Hornady dies worked but given flop or a precise fit, I'll take the latter.
Posts: 103
Threads: 17
Joined: Jul 2019
Thanks. The lee die you will use it to size the neck?
My 308 I use a Redding body die to size my brass a and bump the shoulder and a lee collet die to size the neck tension. Is that the purpose for the lee collet die?
Posts: 1,624
Threads: 58
Joined: Jan 2018
Replaced most of my Hornady dies with Forster or Redding.
Posts: 6,193
Threads: 170
Joined: Mar 2015
Ar grendel= foster full length
Bolt grendel= Redding body die and bushing type s neck die
Seater= foster micro seater
Works great for my needs.
Posts: 259
Threads: 4
Joined: May 2015
Forster - solid choice for Grendel in my experience.
Posts: 46
Threads: 0
Joined: Jun 2020
Briano23 Wrote:Thanks. The lee die you will use it to size the neck?
My 308 I use a Redding body die to size my brass a and bump the shoulder and a lee collet die to size the neck tension. Is that the purpose for the lee collet die?
The collet die reduces case stretching because you do not have to drag the expander ball out.
If I agreed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
Posts: 103
Threads: 17
Joined: Jul 2019
Thanks all I think I'll go with a body die and for the neck tension use the Lee collet die. Seating Forster micro seater.
Posts: 94
Threads: 5
Joined: Nov 2017
I use a Redding full length sizer die with the expander ball removed. Then a mandrel to set neck tension. Bullet seating with Forster micrometer seating die.
Posts: 1,397
Threads: 48
Joined: Jun 2019
For both my AR 15 Grendels and RAP bolt, I use a Forster full length sizer.And a Forster Micrometer seating die.I also have a barely used Redding national match 6.5 Grendel die set I got on a deal at the gun club.But I am a little embarrassed to say that I never tried the Redding set yet.So far, the Forster dies give me great results.And no I am not interested in selling the Redding.
Posts: 103
Threads: 17
Joined: Jul 2019
What mandrel to set neck tension,
Posts: 94
Threads: 5
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 94
Threads: 5
Joined: Nov 2017
06-27-2020, 04:28 PM
(This post was last modified: 06-27-2020, 04:30 PM by monty.)
monty Wrote:https://www.brownells.com/reloading/case...38807.aspx
I am using the stainless steel expander mandrel. Those are out of stock at this time, but they have the TiN mandrel in stock for a few dollars more.
Posts: 103
Threads: 17
Joined: Jul 2019
What size mandrel for 6.5 grendel?
Thanks for your help.
Briano
Posts: 94
Threads: 5
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 103
Threads: 17
Joined: Jul 2019
What kind of neck tension .001" to .002"
Posts: 94
Threads: 5
Joined: Nov 2017
Yes.
Or if you want more tension you can use one of the .262" neck turning mandrels.