Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Reloading Dies suggestions
#1
Hello. I'm m new to the forum and also 6.5 grendel I have been rifle reloading for sometime now and i need dies for the grendel.
I have a forster coax and a rockchucker for my rifle reloads.
I have look at forster full length and the micro seater die but wondering what dies everyone is using to give them the best results.
Thanks
Briano
Reply
#2
I get by just fine with Hornady New Dimension dies and was thinking of getting a Lee collet die for sizing. I load for over 45 different calibers and have dies in every flavor imaginable and the Hornady dies get me under MOA.
If I agreed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
Reply
#3
Plus 1 for the Hornaday dies.
Reply
#4
I use a Redding full length bushing die and an LE Wilson seater with a micrometer top and the VLD seater stem.
Reply
#5
I used to use a Hornady seating die until I bought a Redding competition seating die. Both dies have a floating chamber that holds the bullet in place on the way up.
This chamber on the Redding is an extremely tight fit without any side to side looseness.
With the Hornady, there's quite a bit of side to side flop in the floating chamber. The Hornady dies worked but given flop or a precise fit, I'll take the latter.
Reply
#6
Thanks. The lee die you will use it to size the neck?
My 308 I use a Redding body die to size my brass a and bump the shoulder and a lee collet die to size the neck tension. Is that the purpose for the lee collet die?
Reply
#7
Replaced most of my Hornady dies with Forster or Redding.
Reply
#8
Ar grendel= foster full length

Bolt grendel= Redding body die and bushing type s neck die

Seater= foster micro seater

Works great for my needs.
Reply
#9
Forster - solid choice for Grendel in my experience.
Reply
#10
Briano23 Wrote:Thanks. The lee die you will use it to size the neck?
My 308 I use a Redding body die to size my brass a and bump the shoulder and a lee collet die to size the neck tension. Is that the purpose for the lee collet die?

The collet die reduces case stretching because you do not have to drag the expander ball out.
If I agreed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
Reply
#11
Thanks all I think I'll go with a body die and for the neck tension use the Lee collet die. Seating Forster micro seater.
Reply
#12
I use a Redding full length sizer die with the expander ball removed. Then a mandrel to set neck tension. Bullet seating with Forster micrometer seating die.
Reply
#13
For both my AR 15 Grendel’s and RAP bolt, I use a Forster full length sizer.And a Forster Micrometer seating die.I also have a barely used Redding national match 6.5 Grendel die set I got on a deal at the gun club.But I am a little embarrassed to say that I never tried the Redding set yet.So far, the Forster dies give me great results.And no I am not interested in selling the Redding.
Reply
#14
What mandrel to set neck tension,
Reply
#15
Briano23 Wrote:What mandrel to set neck tension,

https://www.brownells.com/reloading/case...38807.aspx
Reply
#16
monty Wrote:https://www.brownells.com/reloading/case...38807.aspx

I am using the stainless steel expander mandrel. Those are out of stock at this time, but they have the TiN mandrel in stock for a few dollars more.
Reply
#17
What size mandrel for 6.5 grendel?
Thanks for your help.
Briano
Reply
#18
https://www.brownells.com/reloading/case...30716.aspx


The .263 6.5 mm one.
Reply
#19
What kind of neck tension .001" to .002"
Reply
#20
Yes.

Or if you want more tension you can use one of the .262" neck turning mandrels.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)