Posts: 989
Threads: 64
Joined: Feb 2019
06-22-2020, 06:50 AM
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2020, 02:14 PM by Lemonaid.)
Is it time to give Varget a second look for 6.5 Grendel? It is the go to powder for the 6mm Dasher, a top choice for 6AR and 6 ARC, plus many others but for the 6.5 Grendel it is chopped liver for some reason.
I plan on testing some of the 120's with Varget, starting with the Sierra 120 Pro Hunter. I can fit 29.5 grains into a Lapua case with no compression at 2.270". Sierra's web data max = 28.0 grains at 2.135" so I am wondering did they stop there to avoid compression? (My test was 27.7 grains would start compression at 2.182")
Before I go beyond the Max Sierra Load, I request from some kind vile horde member who has quickLOAD to run the numbers so that I can keep my face from being blown off! 
Sierra 120 Pro Hunter, Varget, Lapua case, CCI 450 primer seated to 2.270 or 2.280 say 29.0 grains?
I know others have tried Varget and found it lacking, if you have that data handy it would be a great help if you would share it here.
Thanks in advance!
Posts: 3,654
Threads: 17
Joined: Aug 2013
Lemon,
Would not be my first choice of powder in such a small case, and for short barrels. It's slower than the usual and more bulky. You will hit compressed and still be below SAAMI.
120Sierra SP; 2.28"OAL; 29gn Varget; 35.9gns water (Lapua); 103% full (compressed); 50.5K lbs pressure; 2,440fps. Although still under SAAMI don't go any higher because you will be struggling to fit any more in. It's just too bulky.
Posts: 35
Threads: 5
Joined: Nov 2019
06-22-2020, 09:54 AM
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2020, 09:56 AM by Code4.)
I got repeatable sub MOA accuracy with the Sierra 120 and (2208) Varget at 27.5 grains OAL of 2.265 in my 20"Howa.
My suspect chrono indicated velocity around 2,205.
Posts: 6,193
Threads: 170
Joined: Mar 2015
Lemonaid Wrote:Is it time to give Varget a second look for 6.5 Grendel? It is the go to powder for the 6mm Dasher, a top choice for 6AR and 6 ARC, plus many others but for the 6.5 Grendel it is chopped liver for some reason.
I plan on testing some of the 120's with Varget, starting with the Sierra 120 Pro Hunter. I can fit 29.5 grains into a Lapua case with no compression at 2.270". Sierra's web data max = 27.7 grains at 2.135" so I am wondering did they stop there to avoid compression? (My test was 27.7 grains would start compression at 2.182")
Before I go beyond the Max Sierra Load, I request from some kind vile horde member who has quickLOAD to run the numbers so that I can keep my face from being blown off! 
Sierra 120 Pro Hunter, Varget, Lapua case, CCI 450 primer seated to 2.270 or 2.280 say 29.0 grains?
I know others have tried Varget and found it lacking, if you have that data handy it would be a great help if you would share it here.
Thanks in advance!
You literally can't put enough varget in the grendel case to make it a dangerous load. It will be so compressed it will push the bullet back out the case.
Posts: 989
Threads: 64
Joined: Feb 2019
Klem Wrote:Lemon,
Would not be my first choice of powder in such a small case, and for short barrels. It's slower than the usual and more bulky. You will hit compressed and still be below SAAMI.
120Sierra SP; 2.28"OAL; 29gn Varget; 35.9gns water (Lapua); 103% full (compressed); 50.5K lbs pressure; 2,440fps. Although still under SAAMI don't go any higher because you will be struggling to fit any more in. It's just too bulky.
Much appreciated Klem, thanks! First off I mistakenly used the data from the 123 Sierra section, the real max for Varget for the 120's is 28.0 grains which gave them 2450 fps. So according to the web data you get about an extra 100 fps for each 1.1 extra grains which should yield me around 2550 or so. I'll test this out next range day and post the results, if I get to 2500 fps that's on par with a lot of popular Grendel powders.
A fun experiment in any event!
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 8
Joined: Nov 2017
Interested in your results , Varget is my go to powder for my 308 PA10 .
Posts: 96
Threads: 7
Joined: Dec 2017
The 108 scenar is the same geometry as the 123 I think. I used the 108s in my 700 bolt action for silhouette. The gunsmith I am sure used a SAAMI reamer, but I am not mag length limited. Here is a load that I've used, and I have some crunching. This may have been on new brass without any vibratory settling, etc.
I agree though that with too much compression, the COAL/CBTO whichever you will use may not be that consistent since you may end up pushing the bullet back out as A5B said.
108 Scenar loaded to 2.28
27.8 grains Varget, light compression
2420 fps
Posts: 2,737
Threads: 44
Joined: Aug 2013
Lemonaid Wrote:Is it time to give Varget a second look for 6.5 Grendel? It is the go to powder for the 6mm Dasher, a top choice for 6AR and 6 ARC, plus many others but for the 6.5 Grendel it is chopped liver for some reason.
I plan on testing some of the 120's with Varget, starting with the Sierra 120 Pro Hunter. I can fit 29.5 grains into a Lapua case with no compression at 2.270". Sierra's web data max = 28.0 grains at 2.135" so I am wondering did they stop there to avoid compression? (My test was 27.7 grains would start compression at 2.182")
Before I go beyond the Max Sierra Load, I request from some kind vile horde member who has quickLOAD to run the numbers so that I can keep my face from being blown off! 
Sierra 120 Pro Hunter, Varget, Lapua case, CCI 450 primer seated to 2.270 or 2.280 say 29.0 grains?
I know others have tried Varget and found it lacking, if you have that data handy it would be a great help if you would share it here.
Thanks in advance!
Lemonaid,
Here is a thread from the not so distant past. I can't think of any variables that may have changed, since this thread, so I believe it is all still relevant.
NEW IMR Powders
It turns into Grendel / Varget @ post 15.
If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?
Posts: 23
Threads: 5
Joined: Jan 2019
Lehigh has Varget listed under there 110 controlled chaos at a 29gr Max; 2400FPS. Was thinking of giving it a shot, anybody else have experience with this combo?
Posts: 1,787
Threads: 49
Joined: Feb 2016
Ive hunted with the 110g controlled chaos and never will again. Great target bullet, very accurate, but by design no exit, no blood trail.
Posts: 989
Threads: 64
Joined: Feb 2019
06-28-2020, 02:56 AM
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2020, 03:15 AM by Lemonaid.)
Range results: (in a nutshell = ho hum)
Rap, Lapua 2x, CCI 450, Varget.
100 yards, 80 degrees, no wind. Elevation 4446 A.S.L.
Max from Sierra web = 28.0 of Varget at 2.135 OAL = 2450 from 24 bbl.
Sierra 120 PH, 2.260 OAL
28.0 2372
28.2 2394
28.4 2433
28.6 2444
28.8 2432
28.9 2468, 2435, 2455, 2474, 2466 SD 15.4 AVE 2459 Group = 1.180
29.0 2499, 2490, 2498, 2467, 2466 SD 16.4 AVE 2484 Group = .905
Max from Speer web = 26.8 at 2.260 OAL = 2420 from 24 bbl.
Speer 120 Gold dot, 2.280 OAL
26.5 2218
27.0 2234
27.5 2302
27.7 2342
28.0 2352
28.2 2378
28.4 2380
28.6 2445
29.0 2473, 2464, 2455, 2462, 2448 SD 9.45 AVE 2460 Group 5=.930 4=.512
No over pressure indicators on brass.
DISCLAIMER Loads tested over published amounts in a Bolt Action Rifle, UNSAFE for you, Don't try at home, etc.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BCA Monster 20
120 Gold dot, Hornady 3x, CCI 450, 2.280 OAL, Varget
27.5 2280
27.8 2315
28.0 2310, 2316, 2318
28.2 2313
SD for 27.8 to 28.2=3.05 AVE 2314
|