Posts: 2,555
Threads: 383
Joined: Sep 2013
It has been a busy week for me, both hunting and with normal people activities, so I have gotten a bit behind. Here are some recent hunts. The boars all came from the same property. The beaver was taken while hog hunting, only the hogs failed to show.
[video=youtube_share;JYC0NlUO_Js]https://youtu.be/JYC0NlUO_Js[/video]
Posts: 2,555
Threads: 383
Joined: Sep 2013
[video=youtube_share;xyIEimq7ADg]https://youtu.be/xyIEimq7ADg [/video]
Posts: 2,555
Threads: 383
Joined: Sep 2013
[video=youtube_share;gx5dqi02dAs]https://youtu.be/gx5dqi02dAs[/video]
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 8
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 190
Threads: 25
Joined: Sep 2016
As always, thanks for sharing your hunts.
Posts: 2,555
Threads: 383
Joined: Sep 2013
This was from Tuesday night. This property is like the gift that keeps on giving, which is great from a hunting perspective, but not great for the landowner. The property is 700+ acres of mostly open pasture with numerous water tanks, but has dense forests on two sides (neighbor properties) that provide safety and bedding habitat for the hogs. So while I keep hammering away at the hogs, they keep returning. I believe it is likely that the property is catering to numerous sounders and so it isn't that I am hitting the same sounder over and over, but likely hitting multiple different sounders much less frequently. So the problem persists and is not dying down as it should have been and in the past has happened with other properties.
I think this hunt turned out particularly well. I hit everything I tried to shoot. Most were DRT. I only failed to recover one hog because I miscounted and didn't ever look for it.
[video=youtube_share;E24d2aZRM18]https://youtu.be/E24d2aZRM18 [/video]
Posts: 6,193
Threads: 170
Joined: Mar 2015
Good vid as always DNS.
I would love to hunt a wide open area like that instead of the pine jungles I typically hunt.
Posts: 46
Threads: 0
Joined: Jun 2020
Great video DNS.
The areas I hunt are more like rainforest/jungle where 50 yard visibility is a rarity.
If I agreed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
Posts: 2,555
Threads: 383
Joined: Sep 2013
06-18-2020, 10:08 PM
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2020, 10:10 PM by Double Naught Spy.)
stubshaft Wrote:Great video DNS.
The areas I hunt are more like rainforest/jungle where 50 yard visibility is a rarity.
Where you and A5BLASTER hunt is more like the property I own. Getting off two shots is rare and 1 is the norm. No doubt it is easier to shoot more when you have more than 3 seconds to shoot at them.
The property above where I took the beaver is a lot like that. It is 800 acres and while there are some pastures up on the plateau, most of the hog action is down in the valleys which are mostly covered with trees.
Posts: 1,348
Threads: 98
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 361
Threads: 90
Joined: Feb 2019
Thanks DNS, I watched the recent videos, and then kept on watching some of the older ones as well. Got all fired up, and went out on my rounds, and found a nice size boar to shoot. Like that blue bell commercial says " turned out good".
I appreciate and look forward to all your videos. Thanks again.
Posts: 2,555
Threads: 383
Joined: Sep 2013
Am I now a motivational videographer?  Glad you were inspired! Looks like you did well!
Posts: 361
Threads: 90
Joined: Feb 2019
"Am I now a motivational videographer?" Well,,,maybe, but it doesn't take much to get me excited about shootin hogs.
Posts: 2,555
Threads: 383
Joined: Sep 2013
First you inflate my ego bubble, then you pop it. Hohumm.
Posts: 361
Threads: 90
Joined: Feb 2019
Don't take it too hard. If you can get ANYBODY as old as I am excited,,,that's pretty good I'd say.
Posts: 2,555
Threads: 383
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 339
Threads: 11
Joined: Oct 2016
I'll have to live though you vicariously, till I can get down there. Thanks for what you do.
Posts: 2,555
Threads: 383
Joined: Sep 2013
Hunted Tuesday night with my partner, Ben. I don't know if there is nomenclature for the various types of hunting stalks, but if not, I would have to say that this property has provided "serial stalks" on nearly every hunt there. Arrive, see critters, go after them, maybe successful, maybe not, see more when previous stalk is done and start after new quarry, repeat until exhausted. The nights go on like that, just one another after another.
We had sounders, but it was daylight at first. Lost the first sounder. Headed to the second sounder and lost it. Decided to wait in place and see if anything developed and just a couple of minutes after I told Ben that I often saw lone boars in the field we were in, he taps me on the shoulder and there is a lone boar headed our way. He was apparently in the field with us the whole time, but we didn't see him due to the high grass. After that, the next 4-5 hours were watching potential targets, shooting, or stalking and we did a lot of stalking...
The last boar was a bit of an anomaly. Usually, if a boar gets tandem shot, it goes down right there. He didn't. We picked him off on the run, though he was running dead.
[video=youtube_share;OyzE9nqs3P8]https://youtu.be/OyzE9nqs3P8[/video]
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 8
Joined: Nov 2017
Great videos , thanks for sharing .
|