Posts: 108
Threads: 30
Joined: May 2019
Just to clarify, guys, this will be in a bolt Grendel, a Howa Mini to be exact. So no concerns with slam fires, just looking for what's going to give me the best loads for targets, hoping to reach out to 1000 yards someday. Thanks again.
Dave
Posts: 77
Threads: 1
Joined: Jul 2019
tdbru Wrote:i like Rem 7 1/2 myself. as previous posters have noted, they're thicker cups. never a slam fire for me. one thing to make sure, though, if you're loading for any rifle but self cycling rifle especially is that the primers are fully seated to the bottom of the primer pocket. that puts the surface of the primer cup below the surface of the case head by a wee bit. you can feel it. this also is important to prevent slam fires. a "high" primer can slam fire even if it has the thicker cups. this also implies that you may need to clean out primer pockets of the primer ash to make sure the primer fully seats into the pocket.
-tdbru Same here, I settled on the REM 7 1/2 for my .223s, and it's worked equally well in the Grendel. Still have several flats of 450s and a few of 41s in reserve.
Posts: 104
Threads: 2
Joined: Jul 2019
daved20319 Wrote:Just to clarify, guys, this will be in a bolt Grendel, a Howa Mini to be exact. So no concerns with slam fires, just looking for what's going to give me the best loads for targets, hoping to reach out to 1000 yards someday. Thanks again.
Dave
I have had the best results with 450 and GM205M primers in my Howa. It depends some on the powder being used as to which primer I seem to have better results with. CCI 400 were okay, and WSR primers seem to be very soft and liked to flatten out on any load I tried. They also gave me some of the worst consistency with velocity for just about all loads tried.
Posts: 2,098
Threads: 42
Joined: Feb 2015
For my boltaction I have a bunch of Winchester SRP that I am using get sub half MOA with them so no plans to change. In the AR I use CCI 41 and 450s.
Posts: 57
Threads: 2
Joined: Mar 2020
daved20319 Wrote:Just to clarify, guys, this will be in a bolt Grendel, a Howa Mini to be exact. So no concerns with slam fires, just looking for what's going to give me the best loads for targets, hoping to reach out to 1000 yards someday. Thanks again.
Dave
I had 10 cases, 5 with CCI400 and 5 with Rem 6½ BR. The Rem gave me a bit more velocity, 20-30 msec.. There can be other variables to.
But hotter primers can give you more pressure. Change one thing and everything changes, its to much going on.
Primers are like many other things preference and what you can get your hands on. There is minimul requirements like hardness that might tip your choice, but it rarel effect group sizes beyond making a adjusted load.
Posts: 171
Threads: 12
Joined: Jan 2020
I Use cci 450s in everything
Posts: 20
Threads: 1
Joined: Feb 2019
I've used both CCI 450s and Rem 7 1/2s. Running an accuracy and ES/SD comparison test between them in the next week or so.
Posts: 1,397
Threads: 48
Joined: Jun 2019
I had gotten a deal on 10,000 CCI 400 primers.So, thats all Ive ever used for 6.5 Grendel.My loads are very accurate,and Ive never had slam fires of any kind. Not saying that 450 primers arent good.Its just that at this time I havent had any reason to switch.
Posts: 830
Threads: 31
Joined: May 2017
It has been said that a "softer" or less brisant primer often is more accurate, said by bolt gun shooters. As for myself, I am going to stick with hard cup primers in my AR platform rifles and M1a's. However, 40 odd years ago, when ignorance was bliss and didn't know any better, I loaded and fired more than a few thousand rounds thru my '15's with CCI 400's without incident. Not any more since about '78.
Posts: 71
Threads: 1
Joined: Feb 2019
I started with the CCI 450 primers for my grendel but swapped back to using CCI 400's for all my 5.56 and Grendel rounds. Never have had a slam fire in who knows how many thousands of rounds. Always keep the noisy end pointed down range or safe direction.
Posts: 643
Threads: 79
Joined: Dec 2012
what ever happened to the WOLF magnum small rifle primers? i know that many bench rest shooters used them ,,,,what happened?
Posts: 830
Threads: 31
Joined: May 2017
Import restrictions/bans I think. Yeah, a lot of the high precision boys liked them. I don't know what they are using now.
Posts: 138
Threads: 9
Joined: Dec 2017
Mustangfreek Wrote:I Use cci 450s in everything
Same here, 5.56 and Grendel. I don't want to mess with half a dozen primer types. I also load on a Dillon and they supposedly suggest CCI primers. 450s for the win.
#shareyourspare
Posts: 37
Threads: 2
Joined: Feb 2020
Mustangfreek Wrote:I Use cci 450s in everything
I am also doing the same. I run them in my 204, 223, 6.5 Grendel and 6.5 Creedmoor with small primer brass. Less mucking about with different types/brands so no getting confused or making mistakes. I only use two types of powder for them all as well which is convenient.
|