Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Baffled
#1
A couple of months ago I put a thread out on a barrel I got from Bear Creek . No MOA at all , I 1/2 was the best I could get . They told me that the TMK 107 And the SMK 123 were the ones to use. Neither panned out at all . The only other thing that I was looking at was the muzzle break . Would the break have any thing to do with the MOA. Or any ideas . Everything I have shoots inch or less so my reloading skills shouldn't be in question .
Reply
#2
Unlucky,

Muzzle brakes don't cause 1/2MOA or more deterioration in group sizes unless they are on such an angle that the bullet is almost touching one side. You would have noticed the angle by now.

Expecting top-tier results out of the cheapest barrels is like wanting your cake and eating it too.

.
Reply
#3
What Klem said. At least get a Palmetto Barrel. Thats at the very least.
Reply
#4
This is a good lesson that unfortunately many shooters have to learn themselves, rather than learning from other's experience.
The ammo, time, gas money to/from the range..... all add up to that good or best quality barrel you wanted and should have bought but didn't.

Go ahead and step up to a good barrel, you will thank us for it.
Don't throw more good money down the poc BCA...
"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
Reply
#5
Unlucky7 Wrote:A couple of months ago I put a thread out on a barrel I got from Bear Creek . No MOA at all , I 1/2 was the best I could get . They told me that the TMK 107 And the SMK 123 were the ones to use. Neither panned out at all . The only other thing that I was looking at was the muzzle break . Would the break have any thing to do with the MOA. Or any ideas . Everything I have shoots inch or less so my reloading skills shouldn't be in question .

Probably the two most difficult bullets to get to shoot consistently well from anything.

Get some plain old 120 grain Match Kings and if they don't shoot, get a new barrel.

Ditch the 107 and 123 Sierras or use them in a bolt rifle where you can seat them into the lands.

LR55
Reply
#6
Unlucky7. I have 20”sanders Armory barrel for $100.00. I have a 20” Ballistic Advantage for $175.00. Both of these would be an upgrade on what you have. Listen to Klem and gray fox, they won’t steer you wrong.
Reply
#7
I would like to thank all that responded to my question about my reloading skills. Only to find out that the barrel was the problem . Picked up a Faxon Barrel from Brownells . I am now back on target with 1/2 inch groups at 100 yds. Thanks people and to the Grendel community for all your help
Reply
#8
The thing about BCA is that they are hit or miss. Mostly miss.I have a few acquaintances from the club that get decent groups out of BCA barrels. but they’ve had to waste maybe 1000 rounds and postage to keep sending the barrel back and getting another one.
To me Time is money and wasting ammo is wasting money.There are group buy barrels that will get you MOA.But,it all depends on what you want. I wanted a sub MO a barrel that needed no break in time.I ordered a Bartlein 24” heavy barrel from Craddock.It cost me $575 with shipping. But that’s it.Half-inch groups once I sighted it in. No wasted ammo, no postage to send it back.And a quality barrel will shoot better for a longer too.
Reply
#9
..... but BCA posts photos of tight groups to let their customers know what they can expect from their barrels.

What went wrong here ?
Reply
#10
HuntTXhogs Wrote:..... but BCA posts photos of tight groups to let their customers know what they can expect from their barrels.

What went wrong here ?

Cherry-picked opportunity/photos.
"Hit or miss" -- back when I played some golf, I read where a tree was 90% air only 10% branches/leaves.... but every time I hit a ball through a tree it hit something and bounced, well, anywhere but where I wanted.
Those trees were called "hit or miss" but what they were "called" meant little to me since I saw the results I always got.
BCA to me is the same, regardless of whatever hype they might have on their web page.
"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)