Posts: 105
Threads: 12
Joined: Apr 2019
Just picked up a lb of AR Comp......the loads on the internet are all over the place. I don't trust em. Loading 123g ELD M and 120g Pro Hunters. I also have CFE 223 and TAC. I have read that AR Comp is the new go to powder for the Grendel in the 120 to 130g range but can't find much published load data. Thoughts and help from the hoard please. Does anyone us AR Comp and what are your thoughts of the powders on hand. I have worked up ladders of CFE and TAC with the 123 ELD Ms but haven't shot them yet. would like to add Comp and compare these loads but I would like a starting point.
Posts: 145
Threads: 20
Joined: Nov 2018
I'm running 27.4 grains w/123gr. Nosler CC'c and CCI 450"s. Average velocity 2445
I thought about selling my weapons back to the government, but after a thorough background check it was determined that the buyer has a long history of violence and is mentally unstable. Therefore could not pass NICS.
Posts: 215
Threads: 20
Joined: Jun 2017
You wont find much in the way of published data.
For the 123 ELDM I had a node around 27.6gr. Most people regardless go barrel, brass, primer or anything else seem to find success in the 27.4-27.6 range.
As always, work up for yourself.
Posts: 105
Threads: 12
Joined: Apr 2019
Thanks you guys...working up a ladder today 27 to 27.7g and see how it does...I am burning thru my stash of 123 ELD Ms working up loads for 3 Grendels an 18" Wilson match grade, 16" Monster carbine and a newly built 12" monster barrel. I am gonna try Mid Souths bulk buy 123g OTM bullets because of the cost.
Posts: 77
Threads: 1
Joined: Jul 2019
I like AR-Comp, found good loads with 129gr Interlocks (26.7gr @ 2.255") and 123gr ELDs (27gr @ 2.27").
Posts: 6,193
Threads: 170
Joined: Mar 2015
27.8 is the money in my CZ with the eld-m. Went higher but 27.8 is giving me 2626 fps and nice and tight sd and es numbers.
Useing PPU brass and cci450 primers.
Posts: 160
Threads: 9
Joined: Mar 2017
I'm getting great groups and velocities with 28.1 gr of TAC.
I haven't tried AR comp yet.
CFE is just to dirty for me. I tried it again with some 123 gr Hornady BTHP's last weekend. It took forever to get the carbon cleaned out compared to XBR, TAC or PPV.
Posts: 1,397
Threads: 48
Joined: Jun 2019
I tried AR Comp in my AR15 Grendel builds.Are used 123 grain ELDM.Load was somewhere around 28 grains. I would start out at 27.5 from work up.I got good groups w/ARComp.But I like H335 and XBR8208 a lot better.
Posts: 259
Threads: 4
Joined: May 2015
if you decide it is a powder you want to use long term, make sure you buy what you need to cover a year or two when it is available. it is hard to find sometimes, not quite as bad as Varget or H4350, but almost.
Posts: 42
Threads: 8
Joined: Dec 2015
I tried some AR-Comp with 123 ELD-M. My rifle has a Odin 20" barrel and I use CCI#450 primers. Any loads exceeding 26gr blows the primer. COAL is 2.259" with brass trimmed to 1.515".
Posts: 42
Threads: 8
Joined: Dec 2015
I tried some AR-Comp with 123 ELD-M. My rifle has a Odin 20" barrel and I use CCI#450 primers. Any AR-Comp loads exceeding 26gr blows the primer (firing pin impact area is cratered and pieces of primer are found during cleaning of BCG). COAL is 2.259" with brass trimmed to 1.515".
Posts: 1,716
Threads: 42
Joined: Aug 2011
AR-Comp results in better groups for 130 grain bullets than either CFE223 or Levrevolution out of my BHW barrel. But I prefer CFE223 when shooting the 123 Amax/ELD-M.
Paul Peloquin
Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?
Posts: 215
Threads: 20
Joined: Jun 2017
Old Soldat Wrote:I tried some AR-Comp with 123 ELD-M. My rifle has a Odin 20" barrel and I use CCI#450 primers. Any AR-Comp loads exceeding 26gr blows the primer (firing pin impact area is cratered and pieces of primer are found during cleaning of BCG). COAL is 2.259" with brass trimmed to 1.515".
Sounds like what happens when I go to hot in my CLE 5.56 match chambered SPR.
Chamber may be a bit tight?
Posts: 77
Threads: 1
Joined: Jul 2019
Gtscotty Wrote:I like AR-Comp, found good loads with 129gr Interlocks (26.7gr @ 2.255") and 123gr ELDs (27gr @ 2.27").
I guess I should add, this is with Starline brass, which I believe has smaller capacity than Hornady. You might be able to go a bit higher (like the loads others are reporting) with H brass.
I could probably get higher velocities using CFE, LVR or Tac, but with the wide range of temperatures I shoot in I don't even bother with any temp sensitive powders anymore. With AR-Comp I get about 2,430 fps with 123gr ELD and 2,330 fps with 129gr IL which is about the same as I get with H4895 and faster than I get with 8208 (16" barrel).
Posts: 22
Threads: 6
Joined: Mar 2018
GREYBUFF Wrote:I'm running 27.4 grains w/123gr. Nosler CC'c and CCI 450"s. Average velocity 2445
27.3g W/ 123 Cust. Comps and 450's out of a 20" Lilja @ 2550 fps.
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
There is data for AR Comp in the 6.5 Grendel Handbooks.
It's a great stick powder with good case fill volume relative to many bullet weights in Grendel, but you must exercise caution when working up the load from start loads.
Don't just look at someone else's data and load that and see what happens. You really need to work up over a chronograph.
I would start at 25.0gr and work up in .3gr increments and see how it trends regarding charge weight increase relative to velocity increase.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
Posts: 361
Threads: 90
Joined: Feb 2019
Chance-dg Wrote:Just picked up a lb of AR Comp......the loads on the internet are all over the place. I don't trust em. Loading 123g ELD M and 120g Pro Hunters. I also have CFE 223 and TAC. I have read that AR Comp is the new go to powder for the Grendel in the 120 to 130g range but can't find much published load data. Thoughts and help from the hoard please. Does anyone us AR Comp and what are your thoughts of the powders on hand. I have worked up ladders of CFE and TAC with the 123 ELD Ms but haven't shot them yet. would like to add Comp and compare these loads but.....
. " "I would like a starting point"
Like LRRPF52 said start at 25.0 and work up. You never know when you might run into a situation like ' OldSoldat' where he is blowing primers at 26+ grains. That 's the first time I have heard of that happening at that low of a charge, but better to be "safe than sorry". I found my sweet spot with the ELD M at: 27.5gr(C-Products mag)-CCI 450 primers- Starline brs- 2.270 oal (though I load by "base to ogive"). If I remember, that puts the bullet .010" off the lands. MagnetoSpeed shows just a tad over 2500fps out of my 18" barrel from sanders armory. Good luck, be careful.
Posts: 162
Threads: 19
Joined: Feb 2015
Below is someone posting their results on YouTube.
I did Federal 205M primer, new Starline brass, AR-Comp, 120 gr ELD, 2.26 COAL.
I showed a tad more pressure signs @ 27 gr than he did (26.9 gr) but with 50 to 75 fps or so higher velocity. 22" JP barrel.
https://youtu.be/MxF8ewVmWsE
Posts: 6,193
Threads: 170
Joined: Mar 2015
newb Wrote:Below is someone posting their results on YouTube.
I did Federal 205M primer, new Starline brass, AR-Comp, 120 gr ELD, 2.26 COAL.
I showed a tad more pressure signs @ 27 gr than he did (26.9 gr) but with 50 to 75 fps or so higher velocity. 22" JP barrel.
https://youtu.be/MxF8ewVmWsE
He is useing a diffrent primer and case then you, it's going to be diffrent.
Rerun your ladder now that your cases aren't new, case capacity changes now that they are formed to your chamber.
What's the jump for this bullet in your chamber at 2.260 coal?
Posts: 3,654
Threads: 17
Joined: Aug 2013
Newb,
+1 with A5.
75-fps out with several factors different is perfectly normal. Different barrel, temperature, primer, batch of bullets, chronographs and case volumes.
|