02-29-2012, 03:09 AM
"The biggest exception is for euthanasia shots at work."
We need that policy at my office.
We need that policy at my office.
|
Best round for hunting?
|
|
02-29-2012, 03:09 AM
"The biggest exception is for euthanasia shots at work."
We need that policy at my office.
02-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Ullr Wrote:"The biggest exception is for euthanasia shots at work."Well, I was talking about deer, LOL, but if you mean what I think you mean.... Then you'd love the sign we used to have on the wall in my old unit. It said: "Some people are only alive because it's illegal to kill them!". There are some days when I'd sure like to have an exemption of some sorts.LOL!!!
03-03-2012, 03:16 AM
Just too let everyone know I order 130 gr. Nosler Accubond and 120 gr. Nosler from Precision Firearms. Just to see which one I like the most.....
03-18-2012, 03:31 AM
After 3 deer this year using wolf mpt. I will be using a different bullet. I had a perfect shot on adoe at about 150 yards she ran well over 500 yards. Exit wound was only slightly wider than actual bullet. I had one tumble after hitting a tiwg. The 2nd deer was a poor shot but again not enough damage. 3rd broke its spine but would like to have seen more damage to the spine for as much bone as I hit. My 30-30 did more damage than the wolf mpt. I am going to try a different variety next year.
03-18-2012, 01:57 PM
earlier in this therad I said that I was satified with Wolf MPT ammo accuracy for hunting. I am. For effectivenss on game I am much more satified with any soft point hunting bullet like Remingtons Hornadys and Swifts handload. The Siccorco is even better. When hunting I much perfer a 120gr-129gr soft point over any 100gr or 120gr or 129gr plastic tipped bullet. I do like the 123gr factory Hrnady load for deer hunting-but think it risks fragmantation in a boar hogs side plate and have noticed it seems lacking in knock down power. So I dont reallly hunt with Wolf ammo I "plink" with it. I let my friends &family shoot it when they want to try my Grendel. When the Wolf cheap steel cased ammo comes in I'll probably end up with a couple of thousand rounds in the back of the closet, but meantime I gonna keep handloading softpoints or buying AA and/or Hornady factroy ammo.
03-19-2012, 05:10 AM
Ok, so maybe I won't try to hunt with them.LOL
03-19-2012, 02:56 PM
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2012, 03:01 PM by txgunner00.)
stokesrj Wrote:That is one of the wonderful things about the Grendel, it works really well with the conventional cup around a lead core design which is what the Wolf 123 soft point is. That is also the reason the 30-30 worked so well with this bullet of simple design. This same design doesn't work well at all with higher velocity calibers if dense muscle is encountered between the point of impact and the vitals. Often you get a splash effect with massive muscle damage and no vital tissue damage because all the energy and penetration was expended on non vital muscle and therefore failed to penetrate to vital tissue. I do not have anywhere near the depth of experience you have in this are but I can say I have had similar observations. In .223 I have used hollow points including SMKs, V-maxes, Swift Sciroccos, Hornady soft points and others on game and varmints ranging from squirrels to 200+ lb hogs. All have worked as intended and I haven't lost anything I have hit well. I've pretty much settled on soft points because they are an economical bullet that performs reliably and consistently for my intended purposes. I know the hogs I shot with 6.5 soft points from a helo last month didn't complain that I was shooting them with cheap bullets.
07-18-2012, 10:18 PM
I have been trying to find information on the 100gr SP Hornady Interlok. Is anyone using this bullet for hunting? I have yet to kill anything with my 16 inch Grendel but I always thought I would use the 120gr Remington Core-loks when I did. As time has gone by I have wondered if a 100gr SP bullet would not be a better choice in my 16 inch barrel as I can reach approx 2600 fps with a 100gr bullet vs the 2400 fps with a 120gr bullet. I am concerned the 120gr Core-lok might not open that well at ranges past 100 yards leaving the barrel at 2400 fps. I recently discovered that the 123gr A-Max loads shoot bug hole groups with my rifle but I am concerned about potential poor preformance with a match bullet so I am back again trying to decide on 100gr or 120gr as the best all around hunting bullet. Now I have at least 1000 120gr Core-loks so that should be enough to make my decission for me but being a prefectionist I am still wondering if the 100gr Interlok is a better bullet for my 16 inch barrel. Does anyone here use the 120gr Remington Core-lok for hunting? I used them originally to break in my chrome lined barrel and they shoot pretty good at 100 yards, maybe 1.25 inch groups with 30gr of powder AA2520. I have taken deer with them from a 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser and they did great at 2900 fps. Inside 100 yards I am sure they would work great on deer and hogs with the Grendel but it is those longer range shots that concern me. Will they still expand well at 2000 fps?
08-28-2012, 03:00 AM
Do manufacturers post info about what velocity a bullet should be traveling to open effectively? I would think most of the solid copper bullets are not moving fast enough to open reliably at Grendel velocities at 300 to 400 yards. Are there bullets for reloading designed specifically for use with the Grendel?
08-28-2012, 03:39 AM
A friend of mine who origonally lent me his 6.5x39 used a lot of 100gn sp and shot a great many deer and goats with them. He felt it was ideal at the performance level he was getting but then he also took a lot of goats with the 95gn V Max as well. he was pest controll and deer managment so when he says a lot of animals he means upward of a 1000 from that barrel. His rifle is oin the third barrel with the previous being 223 and he put over 12000 through one of them. His experience is good enough for me although he wasn't taking 300yd shots on the type of ground he shot over and would probable be more in the under 200yd country.
08-28-2012, 02:45 PM
jurassic Wrote:Do manufacturers post info about what velocity a bullet should be traveling to open effectively? I would think most of the solid copper bullets are not moving fast enough to open reliably at Grendel velocities at 300 to 400 yards. Are there bullets for reloading designed specifically for use with the Grendel? The 100 grain Barnes TTSX that I load to about 2900 fps, opens up down to 1800 fps.(according to their website). At a velocity of 2900 fps at the muzzle, that bullet is still traveling at 2094 fps at 500 yds. So to answer your question, "will a solid copper bullet open up reliably at 300 to 400 yds ?". I would say ,yes....
08-28-2012, 05:50 PM
I wish berger would make the 120 in a hunting bullet. It probably would not get much better. A bc of .463.
08-28-2012, 07:24 PM
jurassic Wrote:Do manufacturers post info about what velocity a bullet should be traveling to open effectively? I would think most of the solid copper bullets are not moving fast enough to open reliably at Grendel velocities at 300 to 400 yards. Are there bullets for reloading designed specifically for use with the Grendel? barnes is the only manufacturer that i know of that posts a minimum recommended speed for rifle bullets (1800fps) i know hornady xtp bullets come with a stated velocity range for performance an i would assume most of the companys have the data available if you call them but it is not widely published
08-29-2012, 12:19 AM
mongoosesnipe Wrote:barnes is the only manufacturer that i know of that posts a minimum recommended speed for rifle bullets (1800fps) i know hornady xtp bullets come with a stated velocity range for performance an i would assume most of the companys have the data available if you call them but it is not widely published Here's a link from Nosler showing a minimum impact velocity of 1,800 fps across the board for all of their 6.5 bullets http://www.nosler.com/Product-Comparisons.aspx I like the cup & core bullets for deer sized critters
08-29-2012, 12:26 AM
As an "all around" hunting bullet I dont think you can do better then a 120gr soft pointed hunting bullet. As long as it is accurate in your rifle you should be easily take deer and pigs out to 350 yards. I dont shoot much past 250 yards, but the beauty of the Grendel shines through when I use those cheap bullets and a 14-20 inch barrel. Heavier bullets when closer and premium light bullets farther. I have used those 100gr Hornady pills on coyotes-but dont consider that a good test.When using the 100gr Hornadys on boar hogs, I have (I believe) had faiures to penetrate the hogs chest plate. The 123 gr factory Hornady loading seems to work about as well as 120gr soft points-better anyway then the 100gr soft point.
08-29-2012, 05:05 AM
Although I foolishly avoided them for years, and they are hard to load in the Grendel due to length of bullet issues, I agree with the Barnes guys with TTSX. I've killed more animals over the world from Duiker to Elephant with Barnes than anything else.
08-29-2012, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the great info guys! I am also a big fan of the Barnes TTSX bullets, I shoot factory loaded ammo in my 30.06. Looks like I'll be hand loading in the future.
09-03-2012, 01:26 PM
The 123 amax has worked well for me I've killed both deer and hog with it
09-18-2012, 03:50 AM
parallax Wrote:I shot a large doe with the Wolf 120 SP in December and it worked very well. The distance was only 25 yards.Isnt that kind of a no brainer at 25 yards? Just saying!
|
|
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
|