Posts: 105
Threads: 26
Joined: Sep 2019
I read a post that said many people just prefer cci450 for the Grendel. Any reason for this, or do a lot of people just like cci
I have been using RP7-1/2, due to availability and the fact that I used cci 400 in my AR and had issues.
I did just prime 100 pcs with the 450s for a work up with 120 gold dots, AR comp and 8208.
Would I need to rework an existing recipe, due to switching primers? Can it cause a load to become dangerous?
Posts: 147
Threads: 15
Joined: Mar 2019
01-18-2020, 12:36 AM
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2020, 01:28 AM by sbowhuntr.)
I've used cci 450, cci BR4, rem 7 1/2 and federal 205m. When changing primers from a set load of say imr8208xbr with cci 450 primers I back off a grain just to see how it behaves. Maybe not necessary but I do it for safety cause ya just never know. All primers I used worked well. I just like the cci450 in the grendel.
Posts: 1,624
Threads: 58
Joined: Jan 2018
CCI450 gives me the best SD's
Posts: 1,348
Threads: 98
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 6,193
Threads: 170
Joined: Mar 2015
Cci450 because of their increased strength due to metal thickness, less chance for slamfire in the ar and they resist pressure better.
I use them in my ar grendels and my bolt grendels.
Posts: 830
Threads: 31
Joined: May 2017
I like GM205MAR and 7-1/2's, depending on what powder I'm using.
Posts: 105
Threads: 26
Joined: Sep 2019
Thanks. I am sure the smart answer for any change is to back down and start over. I guess I have never fine tuned a load to the point where I checked to see how primers affected things.
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
For the AR15 and its floating firing pin, you want the thicker cup Small Rifle Primers using Lapua, Hornady, Norma, Nosler, Federal, Starline, the new PPU (old used LRP), and Remington Grendel brass.
I've personally used Rem 7 1/2 BR primers, as well as some of the CCI 450s.
The reason for using the thicker cup primers is to prevent any slam-fires that can happen with thinner primers on a hot day, especially if you chamber with the muzzle down (more carrier inertia).
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
Posts: 1,397
Threads: 48
Joined: Jun 2019
I have always used CCI primers. But ,I think whatever primer you worked up your load with,you should stick with.
Posts: 750
Threads: 35
Joined: Dec 2019
i've been happy with Rem 7 1/2. i'm sure CCI450s are fine too. go have fun!!
-tdbru
Posts: 1,285
Threads: 47
Joined: Feb 2019
It's a small case capacity at high charge density and a relatively low pressure rifle round. I would think darned near any rifle primer other than the extra thin Rem 6 1/2, should be fine.
Posts: 104
Threads: 2
Joined: Jul 2019
I have a couple loads that really seem to like the 205M, but I use mostly CCI 450 with my Grendels. I found that the 450 produced lower SD numbers compared to the 400. Since both of my rifles are bolt action, I am not concerned with a slam fire issue.
Posts: 2,737
Threads: 44
Joined: Aug 2013
I load CCI450 for Grendel, Rem 7 1/2 for all other SMR applications.
If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?
Posts: 52
Threads: 4
Joined: Jun 2016
I've been using Winchester Small Rifle primers, no issues.