Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Trimming cases....What happens if you don?t?
#1
Guys,
I check my case length every time resize the cases and trim accordingly.
What happens if you shoot a cartridge that has a case that is too long?

Chuck
Reply
#2
If too long it might not chamber, Worse than that is the rim area of the case neck cannot expand as it is in the throat and can greatly increase pressure which is never a good thing
Reply
#3
kmon Wrote:If too long it might not chamber, Worse than that is the rim area of the case neck cannot expand as it is in the throat and can greatly increase pressure which is never a good thing

This.

I will say, with sharp shoulder rounds like Grendel and Creedmoor; it's less of an issue. Of all the many cases I've run through my trimmer in these two 6.5 flavors; almost none actually trim anything; and almost always are below the "trim to" length.
Reply
#4
When I get new brass I will trim to get it all uniform, generally to the shortest case. With the Grendel 5 reloads later they are all still in spec below max case length
Reply
#5
If the case is too long there may not be enough room to release the bullet and it will increase pressures in the chamber . Also if your cases aren’t uniform you can end up crushing shoulders when you seat the bullet.
I like my case his uniform ,so I trim my cases every time I reload. I have a Wilson case trimmer and I can get them within 2000ths of an inch and with a 250 rpm power screwdiver,I can do it pretty quickly.100 cases in 15 min.
Reply
#6
Also with a difference in length comes difference in neck tension which in turn affects accuracy. The powder companies don't give you a max case length for nothing so keep cases under this max length. Becoming complacent, getting lazy or cutting corners in hand loading can and will get you hurt or mess up a good weapon.
Reply
#7
What 1shot said ^^
Reply
#8
Thanks Guys
Reply
#9
https://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading-e...32925.aspx

Just scroll down to 6.5, and snag one up. Once you know your chamber length, you will know when you HAVE to trim. I like to keep mine all the same length too, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy...Cool

They say "Not for semi-auto" but I just "soft chamber" without problems.
Reply
#10
Thanks Mad Charlie
Reply
#11
kmon Wrote:When I get new brass I will trim to get it all uniform, generally to the shortest case. With the Grendel 5 reloads later they are all still in spec below max case length

I think it depends more on the gun/chamber, as mine is ready on the 3rd loading.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)