Posts: 43
Threads: 8
Joined: Nov 2019
I have been shooting the Hornady 123 gr SST out of my Howa Mini Action and getting pretty decent results shooting paper. .5" MOA at 150 yards but I don't know about this bullets performance on deer. Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated.
BG
Posts: 1,787
Threads: 49
Joined: Feb 2016
123g sst has been the standard that all other hunting bullets have been compared to. With your results i would say it's what you seek
Posts: 6,193
Threads: 170
Joined: Mar 2015
If the sst is shooting that good for you I would use it. And stack it deep.
I'm more of a bonded and copper bullet guy and even though my barrels hate sst bullets I would use it if my gun shoot it that good.
Posts: 43
Threads: 8
Joined: Nov 2019
A5BLASTER Wrote:If the sst is shooting that good for you I would use it. And stack it deep.
I'm more of a bonded and copper bullet guy and even though my barrels hate sst bullets I would use it if my gun shoot it that good.
I have been shooting Barnes solid copper with my muzzle loader for years. I would do that with my Grendel too if I was comfortable with enough speed to expand the round.
Posts: 6,193
Threads: 170
Joined: Mar 2015
BLUESGUNNER Wrote:I have been shooting Barnes solid copper with my muzzle loader for years. I would do that with my Grendel too if I was comfortable with enough speed to expand the round.
That's why I like the maker bullets.
Posts: 43
Threads: 8
Joined: Nov 2019
A5BLASTER Wrote:That's why I like the maker bullets.
How well do they shoot?
Posts: 2,555
Threads: 383
Joined: Sep 2013
Maker bullets and Cavity Back bullets both shoot very well. Maker tend to stay together better than the Cavity Back. However, A5Blaster is right. If you are getting that good of a group from SST 123s, stick with them.
Maker
http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...ker+bullet
http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...ker+bullet
Cavity Back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMd8NCqi...e=youtu.be
Other CBB results...
http://www.65grendel.com/forum/search.ph...254310&pp=
Posts: 781
Threads: 29
Joined: Feb 2018
I would not worry about the 123 SST on deer unless you are shooting 300+ pounders. I would use it if either of my rifles would shoot it worth a flip. Put it where it needs to go and have a sharp knife. The 120 Speer Gold Dot or Sierra Pro Hunter have worked great for me. Matter of fact I need to get off the computer and go cut up and put in the freezer the deer I shot with the 120 Sierra PH yesterday evening that it dropped like a sack of concrete.
Posts: 6,193
Threads: 170
Joined: Mar 2015
My rifles love them. They kill great as well.
But my rifles also like the Barnes 127 lrx, nosler 129 ablr, 120 fusion ammo, 120 gold dot handloads.
So I got my hunting bullets covered very well from close range with the 12.5 inch all the way out too 600 yards with the 25.5 inch CZ grendel.
Posts: 43
Threads: 8
Joined: Nov 2019
Double Naught Spy Wrote:Maker bullets and Cavity Back bullets both shoot very well. Maker tend to stay together better than the Cavity Back. However, A5Blaster is right. If you are getting that good of a group from SST 123s, stick with them.
Maker
http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...ker+bullet
http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...ker+bullet
Cavity Back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMd8NCqi...e=youtu.be
Other CBB results...
http://www.65grendel.com/forum/search.ph...254310&pp=
Great info. Thank you for sharing
Posts: 33
Threads: 6
Joined: Aug 2015
Shot a 8 point at 80 yards with Hornady Black. DRT with high shoulder shot. Pretty impressed with it but no exit. But like others said if SST shoots well, might as well stick with it.
Posts: 138
Threads: 20
Joined: Nov 2015
Sst is good. I shot a little buck with 100 grain nosler bt handloads this morning. Dropped like a rock and died quick but not a drop of blood no pass through
Posts: 1,238
Threads: 51
Joined: Dec 2017
12-27-2019, 09:20 PM
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2019, 09:23 PM by Harpoon1.)
Haven?t shot anything with it yet but the 120 Gold Dots shoot very well out my Howa. From Videos of others, both gel test and on live game, looks like they perform well also.
Posts: 1,238
Threads: 51
Joined: Dec 2017
BLUESGUNNER Wrote:I have been shooting the Hornady 123 gr SST out of my Howa Mini Action and getting pretty decent results shooting paper. .5" MOA at 150 yards but I don't know about this bullets performance on deer. Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated.
BG
Just saw this, “.5 MOA at 150 yards”. That’s outstanding, IMO! Use those.
Posts: 2,098
Threads: 42
Joined: Feb 2015
With the SSTs shooting like that I u=would just go with them. My Grendels shoot ok with SST but lots better with my loads using 129gr Long range Accubonds so that is what is loaded up in mine.
I never had a problem with deer, coyotes or hogs thinking the 123gr A-max was not a good killer with lung or high shoulder shots either.
Posts: 1,348
Threads: 98
Joined: Jun 2019
Bluesgunner you have a half minute load at 150......You are set for life
Shoot that load at everything, paper , steel and warm bloods.
99% of the kill is shot placement, not so much the bullet.......
With proper shot placement , a 107 SMK is devastating round, 123SST much tougher bullet.
Posts: 43
Threads: 8
Joined: Nov 2019
CJW Wrote:Bluesgunner you have a half minute load at 150......You are set for life
Shoot that load at everything, paper , steel and warm bloods.
99% of the kill is shot placement, not so much the bullet.......
With proper shot placement , a 107 SMK is devastating round, 123SST much tougher bullet.
Beginning to look like I should just keep this bullet and quit testing. I ended up at .010 off the lands with 25.8 gr of Ramshot TAC. 1.729 CBTO and 2.316 COAL. I have a problem with .005-.008 runout with the bullets as they are seated so far out but my Howa just keeps shooting them ok. If I run factory ammo, my groupings stretch out to 3-4" at 150 yards.
Posts: 1,397
Threads: 48
Joined: Jun 2019
If you are actually getting the 1/2 inch groups at 150yrds w/123 gn Hornady SST bullets,you should go with it.Hornady SST is a great hunting bullet.
Posts: 141
Threads: 11
Joined: Feb 2018
The 123 SSTs also group best from my Faxon barrel, nickel size groups at 100 yards. I'm using maker trex 85 grain copper bullets right now..
Posts: 1,348
Threads: 98
Joined: Jun 2019
RobertFL,
How are the 85 TRex?s shooting?????
I?ve tried them twice and can?t shoot better than a 8 or 9 minute group.....
I?m just about ready to give up.
What is your recipe???