Posts: 279
Threads: 14
Joined: Dec 2019
12-16-2019, 03:39 AM
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2019, 03:54 AM by peak98.)
I’m here to learn. I’m 44, been shooting/hunting since I was six. The 6.5g is a new cartridge to me. It’s in an AR platform to be adjustable for my daughter and nephews to easily use since they’re both recoil sensitive. I picked up a lightly used BCA upper and some ammo. I must admit, I’m looking forward to trying it out on a few deer as well as I’ve never hunted with an AR platform rifle.
peak98
Posts: 6,193
Threads: 170
Joined: Mar 2015
Welcome to the horde sir. From North West Louisiana.
Posts: 2,098
Threads: 42
Joined: Feb 2015
Welcome to the Horde, be for warned Grendels have a way of multiplying
Posts: 989
Threads: 64
Joined: Feb 2019
Greetings peak98,
Use the search function with the word recoil in the box for threads on reducing felt recoil.
My BCA Grendel had enough recoil that I put an add on recoil pad to keep my shoulder from getting sore during load development.
Posts: 1,348
Threads: 98
Joined: Jun 2019
A5B is on a quest to kill every warm blooded animal in Louisiana!!!!
He needs your help, welcome to the Hoarde..,.
Chuck
Posts: 1,568
Threads: 8
Joined: Sep 2012
Welcome to the clan, p98, from your neighbor to the west. I've been shooting almost twice as long as you have. Have played with and / or built many rifles. Have not found any rifle / cartridge combination that can be made to be as non-recoiling as the Grendel. Built one for a nephew who is paralyzed from his shoulders down, fell out of a tree stand and broke his back. Pulled out all the stops to eliminate recoil. You can hold it out at arms length and it "almost" doesn't move when the trigger is pulled. Your kids will love it, your nephews will love it, now you need one for yourself!
Posts: 6,206
Threads: 50
Joined: Mar 2011
Welcome to the forum peak98!
Posts: 149
Threads: 14
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 279
Threads: 14
Joined: Dec 2019
Thank y’all for the warm welcome. I appreciate it.
peak98
Posts: 279
Threads: 14
Joined: Dec 2019
just_john Wrote:Welcome to the clan, p98, from your neighbor to the west. I've been shooting almost twice as long as you have. Have played with and / or built many rifles. Have not found any rifle / cartridge combination that can be made to be as non-recoiling as the Grendel. Built one for a nephew who is paralyzed from his shoulders down, fell out of a tree stand and broke his back. Pulled out all the stops to eliminate recoil. You can hold it out at arms length and it "almost" doesn't move when the trigger is pulled. Your kids will love it, your nephews will love it, now you need one for yourself!
Please elaborate if you will, how did you all but eliminate the felt recoil ? I’m interested.
peak98
Posts: 1,397
Threads: 48
Joined: Jun 2019
Welcome from Florida’s Spacecoast
Posts: 1,691
Threads: 18
Joined: Feb 2013
Welcome from across the basin!
Posts: 1,568
Threads: 8
Joined: Sep 2012
peak98 Wrote:Please elaborate if you will, how did you all but eliminate the felt recoil ? I’m interested.
peak98
p98, it was a weight and slowed system process. Started with a full forged upper and lower, trued the upper. Then a 20" RFGS heavy barrel and full length handguard. Finished up with an A2 buffer and springed stock.
He hunts from a blind his in-laws built with a wheel-chair ramp, Grendel lives in a tripod. He has hand and arm motion but no strength in his back to support this. He has harvested deer, coyotes and more with this.