Posts: 938
Threads: 47
Joined: Oct 2019
10-29-2019, 09:35 PM
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2019, 05:58 AM by Old Bob.)
I'm Old Bob from Albuquerque. Been an AR shooter for a long time & have built a few ARs mostly in 5.56 NATO. I built one in 6.5 Grendel about two years ago but have only had it at the range once right after completing the build. I had some medical set backs that have kept me from doing any shooting but now I'm about ready to start up again. My rifle has an AA BCG, an Odin 20" barrel with a Wilson Q-Comp muzzle brake, a CMT side charging upper & a Spikes lower with a Geissele two stage trigger. The one time I shot it I got good groups (1" at 100yds) with Hornady 123 grain SST ammo.
I'm mostly interested in hunting loads. Something that will anchor a big boar hog DRT. I'll look through the rest of the forum for help with my needs. Glad to be part of the horde!
Old Bob
Posts: 6,193
Threads: 170
Joined: Mar 2015
Welcome to the horde sir.
Posts: 6,206
Threads: 50
Joined: Mar 2011
Welcome to the forum Old Bob. The 120 grain Federal Fusion get good reviews as do the 129 grain SST and 129 grain Nosler Accu Bond Long Range. The Barnes monolithic 100 & 120 grain TTSX also get good reviews.
Posts: 1,230
Threads: 6
Joined: Jun 2016
Welcome to the forum Old Bob. If you are looking for factory ammo, Hornady 123 SST.
Posts: 938
Threads: 47
Joined: Oct 2019
10-30-2019, 06:24 AM
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2019, 06:46 AM by Old Bob.)
Thanks for the welcome gents. The 129 grain SST & Nosler Accu Bond bullets have piqued my interest from reviews I've read. Will look for reviews of the Federal Fusion & Barnes TSX 120 grain bullets.
Posts: 1,568
Threads: 8
Joined: Sep 2012
Welcome to the clan, OB, from the great nation of Texas! See DNS' bullet/cartridge reviews in the hunting section. Should answer any reservations that you might have about any choices for hawgs.
Posts: 938
Threads: 47
Joined: Oct 2019
just_john Wrote:Welcome to the clan, OB, from the great nation of Texas! See DNS' bullet/cartridge reviews in the hunting section. Should answer any reservations that you might have about any choices for hawgs.
Hi just_john... As your next door neighbor to the west I'm a big fan of your great state. Especially fond of the redfish in your bays & the red snappers & kingfish offshore. I make a yearly trip to Aransas Pass/Port Aransas to restock my freezer. I've also had opportunities to get fresh hog meat as well. Sometimes I will come home with coolers packed with frozen Texas protein.
From what I've seen on in this forum so far, DNS has a wealth of information. I like his videos.