Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
New guy question about barrel
#1
Have been thinking about a Grendel build folks. Haven't done an AR build before primarily because I just don't care much for the 5.56. Trying to do my due diligence before buying a lot of parts. I know the barrel, bolt, carrier and trigger are the real guts of a rifle. Don't really care much if the upper is black, the lower is tan, the handguard is camo and a pink magazine. What I do care about is how it goes BANG.
So I am looking at barrels and would like opinions about the Ballistic Advantage 20" premium series. What ya think folks?
Reply
#2
I'm with you right to the pink magazine part have to break out the Krylon. I have a BA 20" Premium they are GTG. They are not Krieger or a Bartlein but they don't have the price either.. Next barrel will be from Precision Firearms. Members are having good luck with the group buy barrels also.
Reply
#3
Long as it's stamped 6.5 grendel sammi and not made by BCA it should turn out good for you.
PF
BA
Faxon
Odion
AA

A barrel from any of these company's will do you right.

I'm the same as you I don't care what my rifle looks like. All that matters is it goes bang, hits where I aim.
Reply
#4
Bill,

Barrel, scope, trigger.

My advice, get the best barrel you can find as it will only be a couple of hundred dollars more than all the average barrels touted as 'good value for money'. That $200 is not going to break the bank and is probably what you'll spend on ammo trying to get an average barrel to shoot.

Krieger, Lilja, Bartlein.
Reply
#5
^this guy makes sense
Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...-Whitetail
Reply
#6
If you don’t reload your looking at $18-$20 for twenty round box of cartridges. If it takes two hundred rounds for the barrel to wear in that potentially is $200 added to the cost of the barrel. Quality barrels tend to shoot good right out of the box. If you have to drive to the range and then end up having to send back a faulty barrel it really is cheaper to buy a quality barrel. There usually a lot less aggravation if you buy quality components.

I think it really depends on your accuracy expectations and how your going to use your rifle. For a hunting rifle where 1.5 MOA is good enough you have more options. For competition shooting for small groups your going to need the best barrel you can find (generally cut rifled stainless steel) from a reputable source.

I agree with Klem, quality barrel, optics and trigger. I really like the LaRue Tactical MBT 2S triggers which are currently $87. LaRue has some of the best prices on E-Lander 6.5 Grendel mags. Everybody has their preference on mags. For the reloader the E-Lander mags use thicker gauge metal which restricts cartridge overall length compared to other mags. This is not an issue for factory ammo. I suggest you buy a couple different brands of 6.5 Grendel mags to see which you like best.

Everybody has different preferences whether optics, triggers, grips ect. Find what works for you and watch for sales around the holidays, you can get some really good deals.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)