Posts: 153
Threads: 7
Joined: May 2018
Just a thought, but just about any target rifle in the 10-12lb range (or more) in a bolt action with a GOOD muzzle brake will have virtually no recoil. Now if you also require a semi auto as bolt manipulation would be difficult with your shoulder issues I would understand....BUT for shooting at the distance your talking and not reloading (yet), I would seriously look at a good bolt action in 6.5 or even 6mm Creedmoor. Tons of quality factory ammo available and ideal performance for the distances you want to shoot...and really no appreciable recoil.
Just my thoughts.
Posts: 1,397
Threads: 48
Joined: Jun 2019
Msalm Wrote:Just a thought, but just about any target rifle in the 10-12lb range (or more) in a bolt action with a GOOD muzzle brake will have virtually no recoil. Now if you also require a semi auto as bolt manipulation would be difficult with your shoulder issues I would understand....BUT for shooting at the distance your talking and not reloading (yet), I would seriously look at a good bolt action in 6.5 or even 6mm Creedmoor. Tons of quality factory ammo available and ideal performance for the distances you want to shoot...and really no appreciable recoil.
Just my thoughts.
At the gun club I belong,muzzle devices are not allowed at the 600 yrd range when others are shooting.I have to remove mine if someone asks.
One of the reasons I love the 6.5 Grendel so much is because it is accurate at LR.And little recoil.I like that I can use it with or without muzzle break/comp.Especially with a long heavy barrel.
Posts: 183
Threads: 30
Joined: May 2016
Oh hell, anybody recommend a 6.5C forum that has a similar feel to this site, as in the willingness to assist like you have all done (which I greatly appreciate), possibly have a GREAT bulk buying section)
Also, due to the shoulder issues, for anybody that has both a 6.5G & 6.5C, about how much more felt recoil should I expect from say a 16" 6.5C vs 6.5G using the same weight bullet (understand that the 6.5C platform will weigh more out of the gate, and will probably go with a 20" due to the overall increase in $$ in just about everything, but at least i can do the research & know) & know when my skills are upto the task, 1000yds would not be a problem for the platform, especially the ~140gr+ bullets (at least that is what I have read, or using 123gr bullets should have a higher velocity especially if igo the 20" route (which may be the way to go due to the price in parts).
As I was looking around, it seems like A LOT more ammo selection (store bought of course) for the 6.5C compared to the 6.5G (or I just found more for some reason?)
May as well do the research...or build a 6.5G too since I have all parts less the SA adj gas block and optic (speaking of which, how due Athlon Optics compare as it seems you get a lot for your $$ but they do not have the history of many others I was considering, and the optic could go between both platforms.
Again thank you all for your input, it is greatly appreciated,
Bob
Posts: 1,397
Threads: 48
Joined: Jun 2019
The 6.5 Creedmoor form.They have a lot of info on that site for bolt action and AR platforms.Ruger Precision Rifle And a lot about reloading.
Posts: 183
Threads: 30
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 1,918
Threads: 79
Joined: Oct 2016
I’ve got and shoot both. My sons non threaded Howa mini recoils similarly to my bolt, but that’s not a fair comparison. I’d say the CM definitely has more inherent recoil - simple physics. However, as has been said, a good brake makes a world of difference.
A heavy barreled, weighty bolt with a brake won’t recoil anywhere near what a light weight AR will.
There are lots of ways to reduce felt recoil, but adding weight in the action and stock is the easiest and surest way to get that done.
The creed has much less recoil than a 308, and usually out performs it in terms of distant ballistics. The 6 creed edges out the 6.5 a smidge in both as well.
The Grendel will get you to 1000. In my opinion though, beyond 600, the challenges start to compound. Beyond 800, you’re into really challenging territory. For most of us though, we say bring it on. It’s not fun if it’s easy.
Keep your goals in mind. For 1k, Grendel stays fun and challenging. And after the learning curve is done, you’re still shooting instead of looking around asking “okay, now what?” I’m trying hard to gather for parts for my next bolt action, which will be a PRS style rig in 16 Grendel.
Impact 737R, Bartlein 16” m24, Grayboe Ridgeback, Timney CE 2s trigger, MPA 10 round PRC mags, Viper gen 2 4.5-27 EBRC2. Green cerakote.
Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.