Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
20" Bear Creek Arsenal 6.5 Grendel Upper
I consider myself lucky I have the only 400 yard range in the parish I live in not 5 mints from my door. And the only 1000 yard range in LA is only 30 mint drive up the road.

Best part is 9 out of 10 times I'm the only guy at the 1000 yard bench's.
Reply
A5BLASTER Wrote:I consider myself lucky I have the only 400 yard range in the parish I live in not 5 mints from my door. And the only 1000 yard range in LA is only 30 mint drive up the road.

Best part is 9 out of 10 times I'm the only guy at the 1000 yard bench's.

Yes, I'm envious! I love going out to the ranch where I can do whatever I want with my targets and distances I shoot, but due to oil pumps, hills and roads, the best safe angle I can get is 450 yards. But I still have a lot to master at 450 and less with my firearms, but it won't be too long when I'm going to have 1000 yard shots as my goal to obtain.
Reply
A5BLASTER Wrote:I consider myself lucky I have the only 400 yard range in the parish I live in not 5 mints from my door. And the only 1000 yard range in LA is only 30 mint drive up the road.

Best part is 9 out of 10 times I'm the only guy at the 1000 yard bench's.

What part of LA? I live in South Mississippi about 20 miles from LA and there aren't many ranges close. I'd love to eventually stretch the legs. I can shoot up to 300 on my farm though
Reply
I shoot their steel all the time. I "qualified" last year. You have to pass a test of sorts to be able to shoot the longer ranges.

5 shots in a 6" circle at 300yds, the rest of the target must be clean.

They have two racks of steel lollypops from three inches up to 8" with the 18" human silhouette in the center at 400yds. They have basically the same thing at 600yds. They also have a WT Deer silhouette that is the size of a large Mule Deer/Small Elk. It's a bit too easy to hit at 600yds if you have your dope worked out and favorable winds.

It's pretty fun if you go when no one is there. I truly like to go if it raining, but expected to stop...or they predict rain and miss the prediction. It can get very crowded on nice pretty days at the longer ranges.
Reply
Wargrendeleagle Wrote:What part of LA? I live in South Mississippi about 20 miles from LA and there aren't many ranges close. I'd love to eventually stretch the legs. I can shoot up to 300 on my farm though

Less then a 10 mint drive and I'm in crossing the bridge over Toledo Bend Lake into Texas. I can see Texas from my yard.

Google Long Range alley. That's the name of the 1000 yard range it's not for off of I49.
Reply
A5BLASTER Wrote:Less then a 10 mint drive and I'm in crossing the bridge over Toledo Bend Lake into Texas. I can see Texas from my yard.

Google Long Range alley. That's the name of the 1000 yard range it's not for off of I49.
Cool thanks. Maybe when I go visit relatives that way I can get lost for 4 hrs lol
Reply
Thanks for the info, CaptnC. I'll start the process to get qualified and take advantage of what they offer there. Does it cost extra to shoot the steel targets?
Reply
No sir...same fee they charge to shoot 100yds.

I like the fact the area from 200 to 600 is self policed. The RO stops by once in a while, then leaves. I've been shooting there for years and I have never seen any issues with the guys shooting there.
Reply
A5BLASTER Wrote:I consider myself lucky I have the only 400 yard range in the parish I live in not 5 mints from my door. And the only 1000 yard range in LA is only 30 mint drive up the road.

Best part is 9 out of 10 times I'm the only guy at the 1000 yard bench's.

Your lucky to have a big range that close. There is supposed to be one in the Pearland area south of Houston, but you have to be a member. I'm not sure if the 900 yards range west of Houston is open any more. It was right on the Brazos River so it floods all the time. Next closest is west SW of the Dallas/Fort Worth area.
Reply
CaptnC Wrote:Your lucky to have a big range that close. There is supposed to be one in the Pearland area south of Houston, but you have to be a member. I'm not sure if the 900 yards range west of Houston is open any more. It was right on the Brazos River so it floods all the time. Next closest is west SW of the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

Do you have more info on the range in Pearland and the other in West Houston? It's a long way for me to go to ASC. Those options may be better for me.
Reply
CaptnC:

I think you must be talking about the PSC Shooting Club in Friendswood (real close to Pearland). Not sure yet of the other.
Reply
I thinks it's ename is Bayou City Rifle and the other is Brazos River Sportsmans Club I have a phone number for them 2815431667...but I have not called them in a year.
Reply
I made it out to the range today and was disappointed. I was able to hit a 6" target at 200 yards without any problem (but one or two flyers that were off the target), but not great grouping. The Wolf ammo had 8" or more spread. I then pulled out my 7.62x39 at 200 yards shooting Tula soft point and did as well with that as I did with my 6.5 Grendel Hornady (both the Black and the Custom).

The same Grendel rifle shot so well when I was a the ranch. I couldn't miss and shooting very tight groups. Not really sure what's going on. I primarily shoot in prone position at the ranch, but when I get out past 400 yards, I have to shoot from a table due to rolling hill. But I still shoot just fine from the table. I shoot from a bench at the range. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
Reply
Hollis Wrote:I made it out to the range today and was disappointed. I was able to hit a 6" target at 200 yards without any problem (but one or two flyers that were off the target), but not great grouping. The Wolf ammo had 8" or more spread. I then pulled out my 7.62x39 at 200 yards shooting Tula soft point and did as well with that as I did with my 6.5 Grendel Hornady (both the Black and the Custom).

The same Grendel rifle shot so well when I was a the ranch. I couldn't miss and shooting very tight groups. Not really sure what's going on. I primarily shoot in prone position at the ranch, but when I get out past 400 yards, I have to shoot from a table due to rolling hill. But I still shoot just fine from the table. I shoot from a bench at the range. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Use a nice soft bag on the front and rear of the rifle. So the rifle can sink down into the bag some and settle into a nice solid position and the soft rear bag will allow you too squeese it too help position the crosshairs.

Give yourself and the bench setup some time too settle in. Do some dry firing, work throw your shot just like it was loaded. Doing this will help settle the position in.

Never hurts too bring your torque wrench and bits so you can check everything is tight while at the range.

Hope this helps sir.
Reply
A5BLASTER Wrote:Use a nice soft bag on the front and rear of the rifle. So the rifle can sink down into the bag some and settle into a nice solid position and the soft rear bag will allow you too squeese it too help position the crosshairs.

Give yourself and the bench setup some time too settle in. Do some dry firing, work throw your shot just like it was loaded. Doing this will help settle the position in.

Never hurts too bring your torque wrench and bits so you can check everything is tight while at the range.

Hope this helps sir.

Thanks. I'll certainly try to improve on these. But I still don't know why I get great results at the ranch at much longer distances than I do at the range. I've noticed this also on my .243, not just the Grendel. I guess I'm more comfortable and consistent at the ranch shooting my metal targets. I'm more relaxed there and I'm usually in a rush at the range.

This is one of many things I need to work on. One step at a time...

Thanks for the suggestions.
Reply
Temperatures, humidity, cross winds, sandbag stability, too much coffee or caffeinated drinks, people watching or waiting, etc.
There are actually a lot of things that can vary from one visit to the next at the range. And the farther you shoot, the more these little things exemplify the net results. I think most here will tell you that there is at least one particular place they shoot that they feel more comfortable at that may or may not aid in their shooting on any given day.
Also....................there are days when you just don't have it! Rolleyes
Reply
Yeah, pretty all of what Roses1 said about the crowd. That's one reason I like to hit the range on bad weather days. Less people. Last Saturday I took my neway rebarreled 6.5x284 out to get the round count up so I can start getting serious about developing a load for it.

Everyone had left the 600yd steel, so I had that all to myself. Even with a 20mph sustained wind at 7 o'clock I hit better than 60% of my shots at the 6" lollypop...so it was a great day to be at the range...even dodging a few showers.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)