05-07-2019, 01:26 PM
Any thoughts on a local guy turning Shilen SS Barrels for $325? Are there any questions I should ask or things to look out for? He is a machinist who runs out of the local gun shop as his side hustle.
|
Barrel advice
|
|
05-07-2019, 01:26 PM
Any thoughts on a local guy turning Shilen SS Barrels for $325? Are there any questions I should ask or things to look out for? He is a machinist who runs out of the local gun shop as his side hustle.
05-07-2019, 02:24 PM
My thought, no offense to a friend, but your chances are probably 50-50 with no real recourse - no plan B.
Do you want to trust everything to a coin-flip... He could be good but how you gonna know in this instance plus, on a Shilen blank? If I'm getting a high-dollar blank I'm sending it to a known gunsmith-of-quality, with demonstrated expertise in those blanks and calibers. Heck if it's any blank this is what I'd do. After all, the barrel is the rifle. Why not talk to Mark at precision firearms, he's a dealer and GS who knows Grendels... and blanks. Just my $0.02.
"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
05-07-2019, 04:15 PM
Maverick7990 Wrote:Any thoughts on a local guy turning Shilen SS Barrels for $325? Are there any questions I should ask or things to look out for? He is a machinist who runs out of the local gun shop as his side hustle. Unless you know he has turned some quality chambers then I would avoid the offer. He needs to account for the run-out, not only the barrel but the machine itself. How patient and careful he is in eliminating run-out is a big deal. Shilen sell three grades of 'Match' barrel. Two are stainless and the cheapest is chrome moly.
05-09-2019, 12:53 PM
Lightning8 Wrote:I have good luck with ARP barrels in 6.8 and 6.5G. He is closing out his remaining 18" 6.5G barrels (he is biased toward 6.8) https://www.ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/38016/45465 When I looked at this listing, this jumped out at me: Warning -DO NOT purchase a black Nitride, Nitride or Melonite treated bolt. Nitride treatment of a bolt after it has been case hardened makes the bolt softer. The lugs will compress and headpace will increase." I've never heard such a thing. Does this have any merit? If the answer isn't a simple yes or no, I don't wish to derail the conversation here.
- Kirk -
05-09-2019, 04:30 PM
kcb38 Wrote:When I looked at this listing, this jumped out at me: Warning -DO NOT purchase a black Nitride, Nitride or Melonite treated bolt. Nitride treatment of a bolt after it has been case hardened makes the bolt softer. The lugs will compress and headpace will increase." No.
05-10-2019, 02:13 AM
kcb38 Wrote:When I looked at this listing, this jumped out at me: Warning -DO NOT purchase a black Nitride, Nitride or Melonite treated bolt. Nitride treatment of a bolt after it has been case hardened makes the bolt softer. The lugs will compress and headpace will increase." Couple of great reads on the entire process. http://www.northeastcoating.com/products...-nitriding https://www.ibccoatings.com/salt-bath-ni...-dhn-dhfnc Unless Harrison ("H" or "Arp") has some documentable metallurgy expertise/PhD or etc, I would go with what the pro's are saying.
"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
|
|
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
|