Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Thoughts on the Magneto Speed V3
#1
Morning Horde,

I have been looking to get a chronograph, I have reloaded for years but never had anything to confirm velocities.
I like the MagnetoSpeed V3, based on what I have seen on paper and in various YouTube post.

what does the Horde use, like and stay away from??

Thanks,
Knowledge and understanding leads to Wisdom.
Reply
#2
LTQZ Wrote:Morning Horde,

I have been looking to get a chronograph, I have reloaded for years but never had anything to confirm velocities.
I like the MagnetoSpeed V3, based on what I have seen on paper and in various YouTube post.

what does the Horde use, like and stay away from??

Thanks,

LTQZ

You are asking something akin to asking what the 'best load' is for the Grendel.

Anyway -- a simple search brought this older thread up. http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...hronograph

It is a good thread and worth reading.

You can also search and probably find a few more threads. I recall several in the past.

After the initial excitement about using a chronograph, you will soon find that they suck up a lot of time so you end up using them only a couple of times a year, then once or twice every couple of years. Then only when you absolutely have to check velocity to troubleshoot a problem that can not be solved without a chronograph.

LR55
Reply
#3
On the "only a couple times a year" comment... it depends on how many loads and how many rifles you're shooting. I find myself using it -- ok, not every week or every month, but every 2 months or so I have some change or new load or something that needs chrono data. So for a week or so I bring it out for that project. Indispensable for that reason.

I find it very useful. I have the older standard version, but like '55 said, there are several threads on who likes what and for which reasons.

You need to think through and decide which scenarios you'll be in and thus which type of chrono you get.
I'm real happy with my mgspd but others are quite happy with their choices as well.
"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
Reply
#4
Thanks LR55,

Good info, Will need to spend more time checking this out.
I like target shooting and enjoy load development. I like hunting with my own loads, would be cool to actually get something with my loads.
I have always just done some paper calculations to get an idea of the velocities.

Thanks again,
LTQZ
Knowledge and understanding leads to Wisdom.
Reply
#5
I purchased the Labradar chronograph because the Magnetospeed can affect point of impact as it attaches to the end of the barrel.
Reply
#6
grayfox Wrote:On the "only a couple times a year" comment... it depends on how many loads and how many rifles you're shooting. I find myself using it -- ok, not every week or every month, but every 2 months or so I have some change or new load or something that needs chrono data. So for a week or so I bring it out for that project. Indispensable for that reason.

I find it very useful. I have the older standard version, but like '55 said, there are several threads on who likes what and for which reasons.

You need to think through and decide which scenarios you'll be in and thus which type of chrono you get.
I'm real happy with my mgspd but others are quite happy with their choices as well.

Thanks grayfox, I will be looking more. Mgspd has the "sporter" or something like that model, its about half the price, not as fancy but probably adequate

LTQZ.
Knowledge and understanding leads to Wisdom.
Reply
#7
TexHill Wrote:I purchased the Labradar chronograph because the Magnetospeed can affect point of impact as it attaches to the end of the barrel.

TexHill,
thank you for your input!!

LTQZ
Knowledge and understanding leads to Wisdom.
Reply
#8
I have the Sporter and it does a good job however I do see the advantages of the V3 in the display and data. Also the accessories that come with it are useful. If you can spring the extra $$$ for the V3 it is probably worth it. I see guys at the range fussing with their skycreen type chronos and it validates my purchase. Labradar would be nice but the Sporter is doing it's job adequately.
Reply
#9
LTQZ Wrote:Thanks grayfox, I will be looking more. Mgspd has the "sporter" or something like that model, its about half the price, not as fancy but probably adequate

LTQZ.

Go Navy by the way!!
"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
Reply
#10
Still trying to decide this myself, seems most here use magnospeed or labradar. Comes down to budget, and use, those with labradar love it but say has a learning curve, is difficult to aim. Magnospeed seems simpler, but has poi shift, and can still accidentally shoot it. But either seem better then an optical chronograph.
Reply
#11
BCHunter Wrote:Still trying to decide this myself, seems most here use magnospeed or labradar. Comes down to budget, and use, those with labradar love it but say has a learning curve, is difficult to aim. Magnospeed seems simpler, but has poi shift, and can still accidentally shoot it. But either seem better then an optical chronograph.

BCH:

Not sure if either is a better option than a cheap Chrony anymore. The Labradar is hard to get pointed at the right spot and the magnetospeed won't work with handguns. I have a CED with IR skyscreens and a battery pack. Even with the most luck it takes me at least fifteen minutes to get set up and aligned. Absolutely a no go in rain but the IR sky screens work in all lighting conditions. The battery does not last very long once a guy charges it and starts using it. I am sure the current models probably communicate with a cell phone but mine is about twenty years old and am not even sure if it works anymore. I haven't used it for over ten years. The thought of setting that thing up and getting it oriented on to a target without me putting a hole through the sensors is enough to keep me from using it. So maybe something like a Magnetospeed is right for me but those are no treat either. Wish I could get a loaner for both and see which one is the easiest to set up and is the most reliable.

LR55
Reply
#12
Another reason I consider a plus for the Magnetospeed is that I loaded for my son's Creedmoor and wanted to chrono a load that was working for him out of his gun. One day at the cabin he brought his creedmoor I had the Sporter. I strapped the Magnetospeed on his rifle told him to pick out a target and give me a few shots. Recorded the data gave it to him for balliistics data. Did the same with my grandsons rifle with some loads I had changed. Heck you could hunt with the thing on.
Reply
#13
LR1955, I have seen where the MSV3 now has an attachment for a pic rail on a handgun, extra cost of course.

Popeye212, thanks for the input, I'm still not sure, but I like much of the MSV3's stuff, just not the $$.

BCH, I did notice that the setup instructions for the MSV3 does emphasize that the bayonet needs to be "below" the bore.

grayfox, Navy runs in the blood, my dad was in during the Korean conflict, I served during the Cold War, my brother, my son both served in the USMC and my brother's son is currently serving in the USMC.

I appreciate all the input, thanks much.

LTQZ
Knowledge and understanding leads to Wisdom.
Reply
#14
Yes the Mgspd will often shift the POI but I have ways of dealing with that that makes it a non-issue.
The Labradar is probably the sexiest but for ease of setup, no range-down-time (my shooting is mostly at an indoor 100 yd range) and simplicity of carry the magneto can't be beat imo.
The only time one might realistically "shoot" the bayonet is with a tapered barrel that you did not mock-up first, before mounting for use at the range. There's also an easy fix for that too.
Plus I kinda dig the electronics of it. Cool
"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
Reply
#15
For years I used the cheap fold-out Chrony optical/skyscreen and now use a Labradar. I use my chronograph regularly which is every third or fourth time I visit the range. I do a lot of bench shooting and tinkering with loads in different conditions.

The skyscreen Chrony is less user-firendly than the radar given it is flakey when there are clouds or low light. I ended up using it exclusively at night with LED lights on the skyscreens with elastic bands and that has solved it 100%. It has gone from being flakeyt to utterly reliable but you still have to take a few minutes to assemble and then you have to align it. Plus you can't really shoot for groups at the same time as aligning the chrony with the target takes even longer.

I use the radar and it comes with me almost every time I shoot. Takes only a fraction of the time of a skyscreen to setup and now that I've used it a few times can play with the buttons like a piano. As for aiming, I use a pen in the aiming notch at the top and with that you become pretty good at getting it to register. Another shooter uses a McDonald's straw held in the aiming notch with 2 elastic bands (see right-hand radar below). He looks through the straw at the target to aim it and that works for him. With that in mind aiming the radar is not really a downside. The glaring downside of the radar is the cost of the thing. It is the same cost as a gun so I hear you if you think it is too expensive - you have to be committed to wanting to use it often to justify the cost. It is also susceptible to non-acquisition readings (comes up as error on the screen) if there is a lot of infrasctructure downrange.

The good thing about the radar is you can set it up quickly and shoot groups while getting a velocity at the same time. It does not affect the zero of the gun because it is not hanging off the end. How much the POI is affected by the Magnetospeed is for other posters as I have never used one.

As for accuracy; Labradar claims 0.1% error vs. the cheap Chrony which claims 5%. I have used them together and did not notice a difference. On that occasion they were both as accurate as each other. I have also used two labradar's together for the same bullet and the readings were either exactly the same or 1-fps difference (see photo). Again, I have no experience with Magnetospeed to compare accuracy.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14108[/ATTACH]
Reply
#16
A section of plastic straw, arrow shaft or even a 1" long roll pin glued or taped to the notch on the LabRadar make aiming it a snap (really the only glaring design flaw). As Klem stated it can be used pretty much every time you shoot.
The Android and iOS apps make adjusting the settings and reviewing data much less frustrating than the built in buttons. A LiPo USB battery pack is a much better choice than AA's.
The only truly problematic scenario I've seen is trying to use it when the backstop is too close (25 feet or so). IMO the device is a revolutionary step forward.
Reply
#17
I have used all the mentioned chronos. I own a ProChrono(20yrs) and a Magnetospeed V1 w/v3 bayonet set. I have used the Labradar extensively, but don't own one.

Out of all of them, the Labradar is the newest kid on block. so it has all the features you really want in one package, downside being cost as mentioned.

Magnetospeed has been out for a while and when first intro'd was the cat's meow. I upgraded my V1 to the V3 bayonet setup when it was offered, maybe 2 yrs after it first hit the market. With the original bayonet setup on the V1, you were limited to 1in max diameter barrels. That was addressed with the V2 and V3 bayos when they came out. The V3 bayo has a larger sensor area to accomodate larger diameter barrels and muzzle devices(suppressors eg)

I have shot both the Magnetospeed and Labradar side by side and they match up pretty closely, I prefer to put the Labradar just behind the muzzle of rifle being tested while the Magnetospeed sits out in front of the muzzle.

For quick setup the LabR really cannot be beat, I have chronoed multiple shooters on an active firing line requesting velocity data, simply by picking up the Labr and moving it from point to point, aligning it and telling shooter to send. That would be problematic on a active firing line with the magnetospeed, but before the Labradar came along, it was the best thing since sliced bread.

I guess what I am getting at is, it's going to come down to cost and how much are you willing to pay for the ergonomics you want/wish.

Optical chrono - Low $
Magnetospeed- Middle
Labradar------- High

They all give velocity data.

SY
Reply
#18
If I had the buck$$ I'd definitely upgrade, I'll say that!
So, look at all the choices and make your own call...
The MV data they give is indispensable to finding and shooting good groups.
Anyway that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

R/
"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
Reply
#19
I have a Labradar and it goes to the range with me every time. It is the least fiddly chronograph I have used in the last 20 years. It takes about three minutes to set up and I have it mounted to a $10 tripod I bought on Amazon. The BT app means I don't have to touch the chronograph once I turn it on. I don't know if it's been mentioned but the Magneto Speed doesn't work with pistols.
Reply
#20
Arkhangel5 Wrote:I have used all the mentioned chronos. I own a ProChrono(20yrs) and a Magnetospeed V1 w/v3 bayonet set. I have used the Labradar extensively, but don't own one.

Out of all of them, the Labradar is the newest kid on block. so it has all the features you really want in one package, downside being cost as mentioned.

Magnetospeed has been out for a while and when first intro'd was the cat's meow. I upgraded my V1 to the V3 bayonet setup when it was offered, maybe 2 yrs after it first hit the market. With the original bayonet setup on the V1, you were limited to 1in max diameter barrels. That was addressed with the V2 and V3 bayos when they came out. The V3 bayo has a larger sensor area to accomodate larger diameter barrels and muzzle devices(suppressors eg)

I have shot both the Magnetospeed and Labradar side by side and they match up pretty closely, I prefer to put the Labradar just behind the muzzle of rifle being tested while the Magnetospeed sits out in front of the muzzle.

For quick setup the LabR really cannot be beat, I have chronoed multiple shooters on an active firing line requesting velocity data, simply by picking up the Labr and moving it from point to point, aligning it and telling shooter to send. That would be problematic on a active firing line with the magnetospeed, but before the Labradar came along, it was the best thing since sliced bread.

I guess what I am getting at is, it's going to come down to cost and how much are you willing to pay for the ergonomics you want/wish.

Optical chrono - Low $
Magnetospeed- Middle
Labradar------- High

They all give velocity data.

SY

Labradar is actually lower middle or middle. There are a lot more expensive chronographs out there.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)