Posts: 13
Threads: 6
Joined: Mar 2019
I'm getting ready to put my Grendel together. I plan to lap the receiver than bed the extension when I mount my barrel. I was curious as what everyone uses for this? I have heard blue Loctite, Loctite flange sealant, and even Indian head gasket compound.
Posts: 6,206
Threads: 50
Joined: Mar 2011
I used blue Loctite on the barrel extension which seems pretty common with forum members. I also lap the front of the upper receiver. I used anti seize on the threads for the barrel nut.
Posts: 13
Threads: 6
Joined: Mar 2019
VASCAR2 Wrote:I used blue Loctite on the barrel extension which seems pretty common with forum members. I also lap the front of the upper receiver. I used anti seize on the threads for the barrel nut.
This does seem to be the most popular way of doing it.
Posts: 2,737
Threads: 44
Joined: Aug 2013
If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?
Posts: 13
Threads: 6
Joined: Mar 2019
NugginFutz Wrote:Here ya go, Jag!
Search
I'm sorry is that what this sight is not for to discuss firearms and get opinions? Already did the search, I was asking to get the members of this sights opinion.
Posts: 6,193
Threads: 170
Joined: Mar 2015
Blue locktite works just fine, used it myself but now prefer the lap reciver and use stainless steel shim stock to bed the extention.
You have to heat the upper and chill the barrel to do it this way.
Posts: 415
Threads: 1
Joined: Oct 2018
I prefer to thermofit if it can, Loctite 609 if is a little loose, shim stock if is very loose fit.
Posts: 2,737
Threads: 44
Joined: Aug 2013
Jagxl1 Wrote:I'm sorry is that what this sight is not for to discuss firearms and get opinions? Already did the search, I was asking to get the members of this sights opinion.
Not trying to shut you down, Jag. That subject has plenty of discussion and I thought you may find what you were looking for in one of those threads. Please forgive me for trying to provide more than you asked for...
If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?
Posts: 13
Threads: 6
Joined: Mar 2019
NugginFutz Wrote:Not trying to shut you down, Jag. That subject has plenty of discussion and I thought you may find what you were looking for in one of those threads. Please forgive me for trying to provide more than you asked for...
My apologies, I hit the link and I thought you were directing me out to the web. I looked again and realized you were taking me to other threads. Im sorry and thank you for your help.
Posts: 2,737
Threads: 44
Joined: Aug 2013
Jagxl1 Wrote:My apologies, I hit the link and I thought you were directing me out to the web. I looked again and realized you were taking me to other threads. Im sorry and thank you for your help.
Not a problem! After all, help is what this site is about, right?
If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?
Posts: 172
Threads: 2
Joined: Sep 2018
I've used loctite 620. It's made for situations similar to this. Not as easy to find though
Posts: 121
Threads: 9
Joined: Jul 2015
I would rather get a bcm blem upper and not worry about the bedding. BCM leaves their opening for the barrel undersized so you get a super tight fit with no vibration or wiggle.
Posts: 415
Threads: 1
Joined: Oct 2018
03-31-2019, 04:58 AM
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2019, 05:01 AM by FRB6.5.)
joedirt199 Wrote:I would rather get a bcm blem upper and not worry about the bedding. BCM leaves their opening for the barrel undersized so you get a super tight fit with no vibration or wiggle.
Sadly that's not a guarantee. I buy BCM uppers because they are undersized but have had PSA, LaRue and a recent group buy Monster 12" barrel all be small enough to require bedding.
Posts: 1
Threads: 0
Joined: Oct 2018
Rock set from Brownell's.
Posts: 678
Threads: 7
Joined: Apr 2017
ErikWeisz Wrote:Rock set from Brownell's.
Not the best choice at all unless you want to submerge your entire upper in water over night in the event you need to disassemble.