I am a Grendel noob but FAR from an AR noob, I've built plenty! I am new to the Grendel and I will chronicle the build here. I ask for patience only because it's still winter here in NY and before assembly I need to apply some Cerakote which requires a nice warm day. As a Grendel noob I assume I will make Grendel based mistakes along the way. I welcome constructive criticism but I won't reply to bullies or trolls. As far as AR based mistakes go, I do how I do so those are probably not mistakes. I build on a budget and get parts that are on sale or from places I have dealt with in the past and have found to be quality made. Many AR snobs would be very humbled if they saw just how small the supplier/forge house list actually is and which big name rifle makers gets their stuff from where.
Politics aside the build will be as follows:
Platform: AR15
I love the standard AR15 mostly because of it familiarity for me as a former soldier and accessory availability, it's the Chevy 350 of the gun world
Barrel: BCA 20" Bull/Heavy 1:8 twist 5R, threaded muzzle, rifle length gas system. Muzzle brake with blast cup threaded on
switched out the 18" mid gas after getting advise here about issues with that length
Upper: Side charger from BCA
Usually I don't like straying away from the original design. Mainly due to training aspects with muscle memory in mind. This includes ambi controls and the like, but as soon as I saw the side charger from Bear Creek and how beefy it was I loved it! Knowing I'd put a tactical scope of at least 10x on it, it made even more sense.
Lower: Anderson AM15 lower from my local shop
This lower was actually from a 300BLK build in which I changed it out for a naked aluminum one I purchased and Cerakoted. Only because it was one less component to take apart, degrease, blast and paint. Plus hey another lower
Receiver extension: Mil/Spec tube with carbine buffer
This may change as far as using the carbine buffer. I've researched this and found no issues using it.
Stock: Strike Industries Viper fixed in FDE
Love the concept, price and simplicity. A long range rifle is better suited with a fixed stock, I feel, and this one looks pretty cool. Plus it's cheaper than the Magpul and the reviews were pretty good. I can adjust it to me and there are some accessories that can be added later. I'm known to change out stocks so this may also change
Grip: UTG
This was off the shelf at a local shop and I like the way it felt. I usually prefer the Ergo soft grips but this one will take a Cerakote application to further color match the rifle
Handguard: Keymod Slim free floating
I have this style on all my ARs from the same manufacturer and I love them. They hold up well. The top rail lines up perfect and the slim sides line up perfectly to the side charging upper as well. I don't hang a lot of stuff on my ARs but if I need the space it's there if not it's nice and smooth. This rifle will get a bipod and that's probably it
Optics: Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16x44 MRAD
I ended up finally settling on a Vortex. Originally outside of my budget but thanks to GovX I found one that matched my criteria in my price range. I prefer the mil/mil (MRAD) scopes with 30mm tubes and tactical knobs.
Paint: Cerakote Magpul Flat Dark Earth
Matches the dead grass I'll be using this rifle in proximity to. I have some Kryptec stenciles so I may have some fun with it but I like the idea of one color throughout.
Trigger: Hammerhead Frenzy
Drop in adjustable trigger 3-4lb pull
More to come! Check in from time to time and hopefully I'll show progress.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]13888[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]13889[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]13906[/ATTACH]
Politics aside the build will be as follows:
Platform: AR15
I love the standard AR15 mostly because of it familiarity for me as a former soldier and accessory availability, it's the Chevy 350 of the gun world
Barrel: BCA 20" Bull/Heavy 1:8 twist 5R, threaded muzzle, rifle length gas system. Muzzle brake with blast cup threaded on
switched out the 18" mid gas after getting advise here about issues with that length
Upper: Side charger from BCA
Usually I don't like straying away from the original design. Mainly due to training aspects with muscle memory in mind. This includes ambi controls and the like, but as soon as I saw the side charger from Bear Creek and how beefy it was I loved it! Knowing I'd put a tactical scope of at least 10x on it, it made even more sense.
Lower: Anderson AM15 lower from my local shop
This lower was actually from a 300BLK build in which I changed it out for a naked aluminum one I purchased and Cerakoted. Only because it was one less component to take apart, degrease, blast and paint. Plus hey another lower
Receiver extension: Mil/Spec tube with carbine buffer
This may change as far as using the carbine buffer. I've researched this and found no issues using it.
Stock: Strike Industries Viper fixed in FDE
Love the concept, price and simplicity. A long range rifle is better suited with a fixed stock, I feel, and this one looks pretty cool. Plus it's cheaper than the Magpul and the reviews were pretty good. I can adjust it to me and there are some accessories that can be added later. I'm known to change out stocks so this may also change
Grip: UTG
This was off the shelf at a local shop and I like the way it felt. I usually prefer the Ergo soft grips but this one will take a Cerakote application to further color match the rifle
Handguard: Keymod Slim free floating
I have this style on all my ARs from the same manufacturer and I love them. They hold up well. The top rail lines up perfect and the slim sides line up perfectly to the side charging upper as well. I don't hang a lot of stuff on my ARs but if I need the space it's there if not it's nice and smooth. This rifle will get a bipod and that's probably it
Optics: Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16x44 MRAD
I ended up finally settling on a Vortex. Originally outside of my budget but thanks to GovX I found one that matched my criteria in my price range. I prefer the mil/mil (MRAD) scopes with 30mm tubes and tactical knobs.
Paint: Cerakote Magpul Flat Dark Earth
Matches the dead grass I'll be using this rifle in proximity to. I have some Kryptec stenciles so I may have some fun with it but I like the idea of one color throughout.
Trigger: Hammerhead Frenzy
Drop in adjustable trigger 3-4lb pull
More to come! Check in from time to time and hopefully I'll show progress.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]13888[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]13889[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]13906[/ATTACH]

