Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Moscow match variation.
#1
Has anybody considered pulling the bullets from wolf steel case, powder coating them up a few thousandths, and then resizing them? It sure wouldn't cost much, and being fmj, they would be fine for plinking or steel matches where you can't pick up brass. I think this might solve 2 problems...the undersized .262-ish bullet, and adding a layer of a little something to engage the rifling that isn't you know...iron? After that it's just a matter of re-throwing the original powder charge, but with some precision...and then expand-seat-crimp and you should be good to go. At 25 cents a round and no real brass prep, it could be a viable option for good accurate blasting ammo.
Reply
#2
Several questions and comments:

1) Where are you finding these delivered in-hand for $0.25/round?
2) I've seen complaints about it being undersized, but I haven't really seen anything to suggest that's actually a problem. If anything, I figured that was a feature, to minimize BBL erosion/wear. They seem to shoot reliably and accurately (for what they are) - and if 0.262 was really excessively undersized, I would imagine the accuracy would be hurt pretty bad, and also gas leaks would prevent reliable cycling - neither of which seem to be a real problem.
3) You're not making silk out of a sow's ear: it's a cheap round with a cheap bullet, powder, and casing, and cheap QC. Yet still shoots around 2- 3 MOA, if your gun likes it. I find that remarkable, and on par with their 55 versions. Yet this one has a hollow-tip bullet. Considering that this is a low QC round, and realizing uneven lead distribution where they make that air-gap, can completely screw up a bullets accuracy; I find that remarkable.

Leave it for what it is, Cheap fire & forget no-effort plinking ammo. That is better than standard FMJ in terminal performance, but not by much.
Reply
#3
This Forum needs a "like" button...^^^
Reply
#4
Ammoseek.com routinely has it that cheap if bought in bulk. I don't know about shipping though...could add a few cents a round. My real concern with the powder coating isn't making the stuff any more accurate, but rather a little less abusive to the barrel. I agree 2-3 moa sure isn't bad for the price!
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)