Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
PSA SS kit with Wolf Steel and Hornady 123 black
#1
Functioned 100%, and at times would go back and forth, which in .223 is a bad idea, but in the Grendel, the chamber residue from the steel didn't appear to lock up the brass on me.

Four 5-shot groups of each were fired, with raw performance data in this photo, at 100 yards. Fired from a bench using sandbags. A 4X scope was used.

[Image: 2mxjz1x.jpg]

Basic conclusion, toss the worst grouping for each one (i.e. just average each ammo's best three 5-shot strings): Wolf Steel averaged around 2 ish MOA, and the Hornady Black averaged around 1.7 (ish) MOA. I'm pretty sure with some effort that can tighten up. But the Wolf, for what it is, to average 2 MOA, is OK with me, and I'll likely get more as plinking fodder. That, and at $0.27/round delivered, I doubt it's a mistake to buy a case of the stuff to have. Though, a couple of the wolf steel groups had a lot of vertical stringing; not sure what that means.

If I can, I'd like to get a brass cased load down to 1-1.25 MOA range, which I think might be doable with some care.

All the brass ejected from 3:00 to 4:00.
Reply
#2
I love seeing great performance out of the Wolf ammo. As someone who has shot a lot of steel case .223 and 7.62, I'm continually amazed at what some of these guns are able to do with the 6.5 Grendel Wolf ammo. So far I'm 3 moa in one gun and 2 moa in another. Time to pick up another brick of this stuff. Scares me to death that its imported, though... you never know when might go away.
Reply
#3
depletedyourcranium Wrote:I love seeing great performance out of the Wolf ammo. As someone who has shot a lot of steel case .223 and 7.62, I'm continually amazed at what some of these guns are able to do with the 6.5 Grendel Wolf ammo. So far I'm 3 moa in one gun and 2 moa in another. Time to pick up another brick of this stuff. Scares me to death that its imported, though... you never know when might go away.

Yea! I get the impression there is something about wolf Grendel that is... better. And I agree on availability - the 7n6 experience comes to mind.

Now that I proved it out good enough for its roll (plinking and practice, not hunting). I
-looked at that 1/4th priced ammo,
-that is sole sourced from a nation that is not smiled upon by US officials,
- a supplier that has an inconsistent supply chain,
- that is literally cheaper than I can reload (even with free brass)
- while we are now in an ending window of "no sales tax" (that's going away folks).

And found a supplier who had a couple thousand delivered for 27 cents. Y'all do what ya want, but for me.... Wink
Reply
#4
One of my customers shipped a PSA Grendel to me for the transfer. While he was picking it up, he also bought 100 rounds of Wolf ammo from me as well. A couple weeks later he bought 100 more rounds of it from me. He said that it shot Wolf ammo extremely well and wants me to keep the Wolf in stock. As far as I know he hasn't even tried the Hornady yet.
Engineer, FFL and Pastor
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)