Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Deformed case neck problems
#21
I’ll test it out tomorow afternoon and post how it did.
Worst case is I have to put a new spring back in.
My spring looked just like the one in the picture did,!it did not stick out of the hole unless the ejector was in there first
Reply
#22
After range trip yesterday and the last one my Grr is now denting brass where she wasn't before. Wonder where I put my dykes????? Parts must be wearing in on her.
Reply
#23
Can find these rubber deflector brakes on Amazon for about 15 bucks each.

I take care of mine when reloading as its just slight dings on occasion. But would get one of those deflector brakes if doing serious damage.
Reply
#24
They are just slight dings just enough to annoy me. Easy fix. Forster straightens them out with ease but it's still needlessly working the neck.
Reply
#25
Thanks much for the link.
I appreciate your time.
Reply
#26
I test fired the Grendel with the shortened ejector spring. Handloads worked great, no dents.
American gunner only dribbled out of the action. Time to put a new spring back in for a while. I gotta bunch of gunner to shoot to accumulate brass first
Worth a try!!!
Reply
#27
Glad you got it working as you like!
Reply
#28
Finally got around to trimming the ejector spring again. I had initially trimmed off a coil and a half but it wasn’t enough. So I placed the ejector in the hole with the spring on top of it, and the spring protruded about three coils. Since I’d already taken off 1.5, I figured I’d go a little at a time so as not to go too short, and trimmed off another 1.5 coils for a total of 3. Success! Fired a 5 shot group and didn’t have the slightest dent in the mouth. Ejection was perfect with a nice neat little pile of brass a few feet from the rifle.

Now, if I could only get used to shooting with an AR platform and shoot some decent groups. 2” 5-shot group with factory Hornady Black today at 75 yards. Ick. Have a feeling at least a little of that was me, but I’m hoping I didn’t mess up the barrel when I beat off the fixed gas block it came with to replace with a JP adjustable.
Reply
#29
I'm having the same issue with the neck denting, I will try the ejector mod.

Thanks!!
Knowledge and understanding leads to Wisdom.
Reply
#30
Here is one bumper fix that works. What I first used worked very well. This is a bandaid vs the spring mod for now. JMO

https://www.deflectorbrake.com/
Reply
#31
FANGGHOSTWOLF Wrote:Here is one bumper fix that works. What I first used worked very well. This is a bandaid vs the spring mod for now. JMO

https://www.deflectorbrake.com/

A $19/$20 bandaid for a what a $.50 piece of fuzzy loop velco will do. Really some folks just want to be parted from their wallets, lol.
Reply
#32
But it absorbs the "tremendous amount of energy"! and looks cool too. Not to mention that you and the shooters next to you receive an "extra layer of protection"!

I'll just use Velcro if I need it.
Reply
#33
TRUE! There are other items that will work just as well. Not saying go out and spend your money. You get 5 and more goods. Cosmetic these look as part of the gun.
I will say that the glass to wood poly material I had did the job and the adhesive was a pita to remove.
Opinions are really sharp on this forum. At least I did admit a band-aid fix. The Velcro is yes the cheapest fix an as with any mod for this will in time have to be replaced. This bumper will defect the spent cartages in a pile. Not that matters. All JMO and it was just a share for anyone that wanted to try this. Again many home brew fixes for the damaged brass that are of little cost. I'm just not ready to cut the spring. Even if and when I do cut the spring I'll leave my bumber on till it falls off. And yes the money could have been saved and gone toward ammo. You point was well taken. Thanks
Reply
#34
It's cool man, not a bad looking product, just a bit overpriced IMO. I was making fun of their overdone marketing.
Reply
#35
Evening all from Wisconsin,
Went to the range today to see if the above mentioned ejector mod would solve the dented case issue and yes it did.
I followed the link from outdoorgeneralist above, did what is showed and it works excellent.
Thanks for the info.
Knowledge and understanding leads to Wisdom.
Reply
#36
Those look like the shock bumpers that I used to get at Radio Shack.


Black Rubber Feet (53 Pack) Self Stick Bumper Pads - Made in USA - Adhesive Tall Square Bumpers for Electronics, Speakers, Laptop, Appliances, Furniture, Computers
by GorillaGrit
4.5 out of 5 stars
104 customer reviews | 10 answered questions
Amazon's
Choice

for "stick on rubber feet"



Price:
$10.97
Reply
#37
LtDan Wrote:Those look like the shock bumpers that I used to get at Radio Shack.


Black Rubber Feet (53 Pack) Self Stick Bumper Pads - Made in USA - Adhesive Tall Square Bumpers for Electronics, Speakers, Laptop, Appliances, Furniture, Computers
by GorillaGrit
4.5 out of 5 stars
104 customer reviews | 10 answered questions
Amazon's
Choice

for "stick on rubber feet"



Price:
$10.97

If you can find a Radio Shack. (I was under the impression they closed the majority of their store-fronts.) If you really want to reduce it to its bare essence, go to Ace Hardware and get a 9-pack of black vinyl bumpers for $2.79 and take care of any AR's you have with this annoying (but relatively harmless) habit.

[Image: a8428e05-3142-46ff-ae50-508a749e3127?max...0506931750]

Or, as most of us do, just cut small square of Velcro and stick down the fuzzy side and use that until you decide to cut a coil or so off your ejector spring.
If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?
Reply
#38
FANGGHOSTWOLF Wrote:Here is one bumper fix that works. What I first used worked very well. This is a bandaid vs the spring mod for now. JMO

https://www.deflectorbrake.com/

You can spend $19 for a 'Band-Aid' and still have cases impacting the gun, or you can spend nothing and stop the problem at the source... It's a no-brainer. I like how they recommend replacing the pad every 1,000rds - keeps that purchase cycle going. The best part is it comes with a sticker, so you can pay to advertise their product.


Or, you could buy the Roller Cam Pin by Patriot Ordinance. $25 to solve a problem that doesn't exist. It's patented (so it must be good).
https://pof-usa.com/product/roller-cam-pin/
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)