Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Help with first build, parts review
#1
Managed to build a parts list with help from others.

AR15Performance 18" 6.5 Grendel ($159)

Toolcraft 6.5G BCG ($85.99)

Midwest Industries Combat Rail 15" M-LOK ($189.95)

Wotjek Weaponry .750 AGB Clamp ($35) Clamp on/off compression or set screw?

Wotjek Weaponry Gas Tube, Rifle, Black ($12)

Aero Precision M4E1 Threaded Receiver Set ($152)

Strike Industries ARCH CH ($22.50)

LaRue MBT ($87)

Magpul STR Stock Kit ($58)

Aero Precision AR15/M4 Carbine Buffer Kit, No Stock ($28.99)

Magpul K2+ Grip ($24.99)

Flash Hider (Not sure which)

$856 Total. I'd appreciate your input on this build, also anything I'm forgetting or if I messed up with component selection. Thank you.

EDITS:
AR15Performance Barrel --> ?
Added Wotjek Weaponry Gas Tube
Magpul MOE+ --> Magpul K2+
Reply
#2
I would not put on another Magpul grip you will wind up changing it out. Look at a Hogue or similar might be better to use that money on a more comfortable grip. Just my .02
Reply
#3
My personal preference would be to get a rifle length gas system. I've heard those ARP barrels are fine. But for some reason I never read about anyone on the forum using them. Not sure why. Good luck!

I guess you mean to get a LPK and gas tube just didn't add it to the list?
Reply
#4
Looks good to me. If that 18 inch barrel isn't rifle length gas I would move on and choose a different barrel.
Reply
#5
Wargrendeleagle Wrote:My personal preference would be to get a rifle length gas system. I've heard those ARP barrels are fine. But for some reason I never read about anyone on the forum using them. Not sure why. Good luck!

I guess you mean to get a LPK and gas tube just didn't add it to the list?

Thank you, could you recommend a better barrel under $200? I figured I'd be missing a few things it wasn't on purpose. The LPK goes with the lower receiver, but where does the gas tube go?
Reply
#6
A5BLASTER Wrote:Looks good to me. If that 18 inch barrel isn't rifle length gas I would move on and choose a different barrel.

To be honest, I'm not sure what rifle length gas means. Could you recommend a better barrel under $200? Thanks.
Reply
#7
Popeye212 Wrote:I would not put on another Magpul grip you will wind up changing it out. Look at a Hogue or similar might be better to use that money on a more comfortable grip. Just my .02

Thanks for the tip, I'll look to switch out the Magpul grip. Is the Magpul stock I chose solid?
Reply
#8
bulletofsilver Wrote:To be honest, I'm not sure what rifle length gas means. Could you recommend a better barrel under $200? Thanks.

Yep we have group buy barrels at the bottom of the home page in the group buy section.

Rifle gas means it uses a rifle length gas tube. In a 18 or 20 inch barrel this is what you want.

I would go group buy 18 or 20 inch barrel and a group buy bolt if your still looking for a bolt.
Reply
#9
A5BLASTER Wrote:Yep we have group buy barrels at the bottom of the home page in the group buy section.

Rifle gas means it uses a rifle length gas tube. In a 18 or 20 inch barrel this is what you want.

I would go group buy 18 or 20 inch barrel and a group buy bolt if your still looking for a bolt.

I have the Toolcraft 6.5G BCG listed above does that not include a bolt?
Reply
#10
bulletofsilver Wrote:Thank you, could you recommend a better barrel under $200? I figured I'd be missing a few things it wasn't on purpose. The LPK goes with the lower receiver, but where does the gas tube go?

Gas tube connects to the gas block. You can just order one when you get a gas block from wojtek. I've gotten several from there. Standup guy! If you check Reddit he does coupon codes for block & tube combos on gundeals. I'd get the clamp on
Reply
#11
bulletofsilver Wrote:I have the Toolcraft 6.5G BCG listed above does that not include a bolt?

It does. People often get backups. And these work well together
Reply
#12
My question is you have aero M4E1 receiver SET listed. This can mean upper and handguard. Or matched upper and lower?

M4E1 is a proprietary upper and only takes certain rails. If it is upper with handguard set, you dont need the midwest industry rail. Or verify midwest rail works on M4E1 upper if it is the matched lower and upper set
Reply
#13
Wargrendeleagle Wrote:It does. People often get backups. And these work well together

Thanks again, I've added the gas tube. I'm still a bit confused on the barrel. Sounds like I need a rifle length gas system, but many barrels recommended are mid-length. What's the difference? Faxon has midlength, but Ballistic Advantage has an 18" with Rifle length. Would that be a better option?
Reply
#14
BCHunter Wrote:My question is you have aero M4E1 upper receiver SET listed. This usually means upper and handguard. Also M4E1 is a proprietary upper and only takes certain rails. Verify this and you dont need the midwest industry rail.

It doesn't say Upper Set, it says Receiver Set. Includes upper and lower receivers but no handguard, that's why I also have the MI Combat Rail.
Reply
#15
bulletofsilver Wrote:It doesn't say Upper Set, it says Receiver Set. Includes upper and lower receivers but no handguard, that's why I also have the MI Combat Rail.

Pretty sure you can only use aero rails on that M4E1 upper, its has an internal barrel nut. Verify because aero also makes standard uppers with external barrel nuts
Reply
#16
bulletofsilver Wrote:Thanks again, I've added the gas tube. I'm still a bit confused on the barrel. Sounds like I need a rifle length gas system, but many barrels recommended are mid-length. What's the difference? Faxon has midlength, but Ballistic Advantage has an 18" with Rifle length. Would that be a better option?

You need to match the length of the gas tube to what the barrel is set for by the manufacturer. If the barrel is listed as rifle length you need a rifle length gas tube, mid length needs mid length tube, carbine gets carbine length tube.
Reply
#17
There are whole discussions on proper gas tube length based on barrel length, in short the longer the barrel the longer the gas tube you need. 18" barrels in 6.5 grendel are the most difficult to get to function with mid length gas tubes especially if you ever want to suppress it. That is why the horde suggests to get a barrel with rifle length gas tube if you get an 18" .
Reply
#18
BCHunter Wrote:There are whole discussions on proper gas tube length based on barrel length, in short the longer the barrel the longer the gas tube you need. 18" barrels in 6.5 grendel are the most difficult to get to function with mid length gas tubes especially if you ever want to suppress it. That is why the horde suggests to get a barrel with rifle length gas tube if you get an 18" .

You're the man, thank you for the explanation. Could you recommend an 18" barrel with a rifle length gas tube around $200? Preferably something besides the group buy here just so I can research the options? The only one I've found so far is Ballistic Advantage. Also, I do want to add a suppressor in the future so I'm glad you mentioned that. Thanks again.
Reply
#19
The Magpul k2+ grip is a great choice. I also recommend the Ergo deluxe tactical grip. Alexander Arms has an 18" fluted mid length gas barrel for $205.I have a 16" AA barrel that is perfectly gassed with neat piles of brass at 4 o'clock, so I'm sure the gas port on the 18" is appropriately sized. I was actually considering the group buy 20" for my next build and that 18" would be tempting in your shoes. I highly recommend a Faxon gas block. I like that they have 3 set screws and the gas tube roll pin taps in smoothly.
..
Reply
#20
The Magpul k2+ grip is a great choice. I also recommend the Ergo deluxe tactical grip. Alexander Arms has an 18" fluted mid length gas barrel for $205.I have a 16" AA barrel that is perfectly gassed with neat piles of brass at 4 o'clock, so I'm sure the gas port on the 18" is appropriately sized. I was actually considering the group buy 20" for my next build. I highly recommend a Faxon gas block. I like that they have 3 set screws and the gas tube roll pin taps in smoothly.
..
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)