Posts: 104
Threads: 5
Joined: Nov 2018
These Howa HB mini Grendels are on sale @ Brownell's again for those that missed the last sale or want another one.
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/re...13624.aspx
Posts: 671
Threads: 75
Joined: Sep 2014
Oh, that's tempting. Thanks for the heads up.
Posts: 6,193
Threads: 170
Joined: Mar 2015
That's almost as low as I payed for mine. When I ordered mine they had free shipping plus a discount code. I bought it and an extra mag to get the upgraded coupon code and still came out bout 30 bucks cheaper.
Still a dang good price.
Posts: 612
Threads: 61
Joined: Jun 2016
The 22" is $499?? That seems odd.
Thanks, Dinny
Posts: 47
Threads: 4
Joined: Oct 2018
Does the #1 barrel ever go on sale?
Posts: 47
Threads: 4
Joined: Oct 2018
#1 barreled action is discontinued? Is there anyway to still get one or am I out of luck forever? Want to put one in a chassis.
Posts: 367
Threads: 26
Joined: Oct 2015
Tempted as well just not the rifle I want. Hang ups that jump out at me is the magazine is at the top of the list for a cheep plastic mag that is twice the mag i am wanting in terms of capacity and less than half the magazine I am looking for in terms of quality. This set back makes it hard for me to invest in a quality stock. This disappoints me quit a bit given the accuracy reports. Would not mind shooting one of these rifles to see if there was a chance I could get past the mag.
Posts: 772
Threads: 44
Joined: Nov 2017
SDguy Wrote:Tempted as well just not the rifle I want. Hang ups that jump out at me is the magazine is at the top of the list for a cheep plastic mag that is twice the mag i am wanting in terms of capacity and less than half the magazine I am looking for in terms of quality. This set back makes it hard for me to invest in a quality stock. This disappoints me quit a bit given the accuracy reports. Would not mind shooting one of these rifles to see if there was a chance I could get past the mag.
Cut the mag down use a DIPinc metal bottom plate on it. With those mods it is actually quite a nice 4 round mag. It doesn't scratch your brass like the AR mag does.
Engineer, FFL and Pastor
Posts: 25
Threads: 6
Joined: Nov 2017
We should not have to do all of this to a rifle. The factory has had over a year to get these things changed.
Posts: 6,193
Threads: 170
Joined: Mar 2015
stumpjumper3d Wrote:We should not have to do all of this to a rifle. The factory has had over a year to get these things changed.
Then you should shop for a different 6.5 grendel bolt action. Because Howa/Legacy isn't going to ever change the design of the mini grendel.
The way they come now is the way they will come till they quit making them I'm sure.
Posts: 367
Threads: 26
Joined: Oct 2015
Thus I settled for A CZ 527. Does not seem all that long ago I sprung for the CZ 527 in 204 Ruger due to pricing. Value of the dollar provided a pretty reasonably priced sweet Mini Mauser action. I have really came to appreciate the little Mauser action along the way. 17 & 22 Hornet along w a couple 223's & a semi custom 17 Fireball & a 221 fireball then a few 7.629's to be converted to 6.5 Grendel only one was converted as CZ finally came on board with the 6.5 Grendel. Then a 300 black out had to be tried.
What is my favorite? Think I wrestle between the 17 FB & the 6.5 Grendel. Still cuss Remington on there Poor marketing of the 17 Fireball.
Posts: 6,193
Threads: 170
Joined: Mar 2015
SDguy Wrote:Thus I settled for A CZ 527. Does not seem all that long ago I sprung for the CZ 527 in 204 Ruger due to pricing. Value of the dollar provided a pretty reasonably priced sweet Mini Mauser action. I have really came to appreciate the little Mauser action along the way. 17 & 22 Hornet along w a couple 223's & a semi custom 17 Fireball & a 221 fireball then a few 7.629's to be converted to 6.5 Grendel only one was converted as CZ finally came on board with the 6.5 Grendel. Then a 300 black out had to be tried.
What is my favorite? Think I wrestle between the 17 FB & the 6.5 Grendel. Still cuss Remington on there Poor marketing of the 17 Fireball.
Don't get me wrong I love my mini grendel but it will be my one and only howa.
Next bolt grendel my end up being a cz varmint or one of a few different custom jobs off a short action receiver.
Posts: 78
Threads: 9
Joined: Feb 2017
Temptation was too great to resist and like my others so much I had to get this while it was on sale... Was thinking Boyds AT1 since B&C doesn't make an M40 style stock so leaning toward MDT chassis.
Posts: 97
Threads: 1
Joined: Jun 2018
DJudge - B&C is currently working on stocks for the Howa Mini. I don't know what style/shape they're going to release, but the guy who does the stock design & molds is a good friend of mine (B&C is located in Dodge City, Ks., only 65mi from here), and I've been hinting that maybe they should look into bringing a Mini stock to market for the past couple of years. They're at SHOT right now, so I'm looking forward to seeing what he comes up with after having a chance to talk with the folks from LSI at the show.
Posts: 97
Threads: 1
Joined: Jun 2018
SDguy - I bought a CZ 527 Carbine in 7.62x39 several years ago, just to get an action with the correct boltface for PPC & Grendel brass. I've got a reamer for 6 RAT, which is a wildcat based on the 6.5 Grendel case, necked down to 6mm, with the body blown forward & a 40* shoulder (think miniature 6 Dasher), and used a Krieger #4 sporter blank for the project. Had to turn the 1.25" shank down to 1.090" to better match the 527's front receiver ring dia, but it turned out nicely. The only thing I don't like about the 527 is the Mauser-style claw-style extractor - it doesn't allow for rounds too long to feed through the magazine to be single loaded, which keeps me from shooting 105-107gr bullets in this rifle. That's the biggest reason I was so pleased when Howa came out with the 6.5 Grendel boltface for the Mini action - it's a push-feed design, so longer rounds are no problem to single load. Also, the CZ magazine doesn't feed RAT rounds with 100% reliability, whereas the 'cheap' plastic Howa mags do...
Posts: 367
Threads: 26
Joined: Oct 2015
01-20-2019, 07:35 PM
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2019, 07:44 PM by SDguy.)
flatland1 Wrote:SDguy - I bought a CZ 527 Carbine in 7.62x39 several years ago, just to get an action with the correct boltface for PPC & Grendel brass. I've got a reamer for 6 RAT, which is a wildcat based on the 6.5 Grendel case, necked down to 6mm, with the body blown forward & a 40* shoulder (think miniature 6 Dasher), and used a Krieger #4 sporter blank for the project. Had to turn the 1.25" shank down to 1.090" to better match the 527's front receiver ring dia, but it turned out nicely. The only thing I don't like about the 527 is the Mauser-style claw-style extractor - it doesn't allow for rounds too long to feed through the magazine to be single loaded, which keeps me from shooting 105-107gr bullets in this rifle. That's the biggest reason I was so pleased when Howa came out with the 6.5 Grendel boltface for the Mini action - it's a push-feed design, so longer rounds are no problem to single load. Also, the CZ magazine doesn't feed RAT rounds with 100% reliability, whereas the 'cheap' plastic Howa mags do...
Flatland, Thank you for sharing the thoughts the 6 Rat. Hope you do not mind if Respectfully disagree with you on the CZ's ability to single load. My experience is single loading works out quite fine with a stock CZ 527 extractor.
If you look at that extractor you will see a generous taper that'll allow the extractor to be persuaded/spring out and around the rim of the case. The extractor claw often tends to be quite sharp. Would not hurt to modify that sharp edge by lightly dulling the claw edge with a scotch bright wheel. Did I say lightly, yes remember lightly modify (profile should loose no more than .003" would be my goal. Just my observations with multipul CZ 527's from 17 & 22 hornet up to factory 6.5 Grendel offering & a 7.62x39 conversion to 6.5 Grendel. Ill be surprised if your milage varies in real world experience with the 527 claw extractor in a push feed situation.
As I see the 527 she is primarily a controlled round feed designe though that does not mean that she will not function as a push feed as well. I am considering a 6.5 Von Gruff 6.5 Grendel max or a 300 Grendel max that would be in all liklyhood a single load consideration in a 527 action. If someone is seeing this clearly differently I will be glad to listen.
Posts: 367
Threads: 26
Joined: Oct 2015
Just looked at both of my CZ 527's in 6.5 Grendel to double check my memory. Yes both the factory 6.5 Grendel & the 7.62x39 re-barrel to 6.5 Grendel, have that taper on the front of the extractor claw that will allow the extractor to spring out and around the rim in a push feed situation.
Posts: 352
Threads: 15
Joined: Feb 2018
flatland1,
My CZ 527 user's manual specifically states that the action will allow single feed by inserting the round into the chamber by hand and closing the bolt, "note" on page 7. I have done this many times with no problems to date. I dry fire using snap caps and feed them into the chamber by hand for each session.
"A Patriot must always be ready to defend his Country against his government"
Edward Abbey
"Stay out of trouble, Never give up, Never give in, Watch you're six, Hold the line, Stay Frosty."
Dr. Sabastian Gorka, Hungarian by birth, American Patriot by Beliefs.
Posts: 54
Threads: 2
Joined: Jan 2019
drewsbow Wrote:These Howa HB mini Grendels are on sale @ Brownell's again for those that missed the last sale or want another one.
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/re...13624.aspx
I'm new here, but I appreciate the heads up on the Brownell's sale. I bought one last week and it's supposed to be here tomorrow.
Posts: 641
Threads: 35
Joined: Dec 2017
SDguy Wrote:Tempted as well just not the rifle I want. Hang ups that jump out at me is the magazine is at the top of the list for a cheep plastic mag that is twice the mag i am wanting in terms of capacity and less than half the magazine I am looking for in terms of quality. This set back makes it hard for me to invest in a quality stock. This disappoints me quit a bit given the accuracy reports. Would not mind shooting one of these rifles to see if there was a chance I could get past the mag.
Same for me, can only handle a Howa in a chassis, there the magazine suits. Until someone comes up with hinged floor plate mine two howas will never ride in a stock. Sad.
And if sako chambers the little 85 xs action in Grendel there will be some rifles for sale in my collection. I have a cz also, big fan, still I want more and feel the cartridge deserves more.
|