Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Can you recommend a silencer?
#1
I would like to buy a silencer. I assume I go the 7.62 size?
Can you help me and guide me to the better ones?
Thanks,.
Reply
#2
Thunder beast arms, silencerco, crux
Reply
#3
yes on the 7.62, more flexible.
+1 on the thunder beast ones, they have an ultra-7 that's really good.
Mine is still waiting for its get outta jail card...
"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
Reply
#4
I have the Gemtech Dagger.
Reply
#5
"I would like to buy a silencer."

Duct tape works pretty good placed right over their mouth. LOL Could not resist it. I think you are looking for a suppressor.
Reply
#6
I'm sure there are others just as good but I'm totally happy with my Silencerco Omega 30.
My only regret is not buying one years ago.
Reply
#7
Use a Sandman-s on my 12 inch Grendel. Don’t have to wear hearing protection. Built like a tank.
Reply
#8
running the Thunderbeast ultra 9 on an 18 inch and 12.5 inch build
Reply
#9
Depends on barrel length and purpose.

For "precision" guns I like lightweight and direct thread. For a "hard use" gun and shorter barrel a little heavier suppressor and QD mount is the way to go.

I have two Thunder Beast and both are lightweight but use a FLash Hider mount.

I also have a very lightweight direct thread QuickSilver Ti can (they are out of business) I use on a precision .308. I like that it doesn't require too much torque on the barrel threads (Rokset) and mess with harmonics

A couple companies make a "hunters" suppressor that uses material that isn't designed for full auto or prolonged shot strings. It is very light weight and direct thread. I think Gemtech and Griffin Armament make a version.

I also have a Griffin Armament M4SD-K that is VERY durable and handles full auto and short barrels no problem. Heavy can though and not something I'd use for a "precision " gun. (They make a .30cal version that can be used for 65G)

Anyway, lots of cans but decide what the rifle will be used for.
Reply
#10
[quote=Bearcatrp]Use a Sandman-s on my 12 inch Grendel. Don’t have to wear hearing protection.QUOTE]

Bearcat,

How many decibels does it shave off the top?
Reply
#11
1Shot Wrote:"I would like to buy a silencer."

Duct tape works pretty good placed right over their mouth. LOL Could not resist it. I think you are looking for a suppressor.
While the common term is suppressor, the ATF as well as the Maxim patent calls them "silencers"

Toe-MAY-toe

Toe-MAH-toe
Reply
#12
Klem Wrote:[quote=Bearcatrp]Use a Sandman-s on my 12 inch Grendel. Don’t have to wear hearing protection.QUOTE]

Bearcat,

How many decibels does it shave off the top?
I don’t have a decibel reader but I know I have to wear hearing protection without the suppressor. Decided to try the sandman-s without hearing protection just to see if it rang my ears. Was surprised. Don’t think I would shoot all day without protection but it’s doable if needed. Sounds the same as my 300BO shooting supers.
Reply
#13
Bearcatrp Wrote:[quote=Klem]
I don’t have a decibel reader but I know I have to wear hearing protection without the suppressor. Decided to try the sandman-s without hearing protection just to see if it rang my ears. Was surprised. Don’t think I would shoot all day without protection but it’s doable if needed. Sounds the same as my 300BO shooting supers.

I think we're on the same songsheet. If you start with the premise than no high-power, centrefire suppressor is ever hearing-safe then whatever you do with your ears is on you.
Reply
#14
Bearcatrp Wrote:[quote=Klem]
I don’t have a decibel reader but I know I have to wear hearing protection without the suppressor. Decided to try the sandman-s without hearing protection just to see if it rang my ears. Was surprised. Don’t think I would shoot all day without protection but it’s doable if needed. Sounds the same as my 300BO shooting supers.

I found out through trial and error (which was later confirmed by an industry pro) that different materials will sound different. A "steel" can versus an "aluminum" can versus a "titanium" can all can shave the same decibels but sound much different due to the pitch they create.

My Ti cans definitely ring different than iconel steel.
Reply
#15
I use a Crux 6.5 Saxon. It's light, quiet and most important, precise. Same accuracy and POI with can on or off.
Reply
#16
Doesn't Larue make that new suppressor rig that almost eliminates blowback?

I shot a suppressed 5.56 AR once, and the face full of gas and complete filthy mess it made inside the rifle made me very apprehensive towards suppressing one of my ARs..
Reply
#17
Thunderbeast is excellent. I’ve heard great things about Crux, too. Mack Bros also makes some good ones from what I hear.

My main advice:
- ignore Db ratings. There’s no uniformity for testing, and published Db ratings are routinely shown to be wrong. Most silencers are within a few Db of each other.
- length isn’t everything. My favorite silencers are 5” and 6” long, and they’re not meaningfully louder than my 9” can.
- skip the QD mounts. It doesn’t take long to thread on a 5/8-24 can, and you’ll never need to pop it on/off within 3 secinds anyway. They’ve been shown time and again to introduce accuracy problems.
- lighter can be better. It’ll change your harmonica less, but it could also completely not matter.
Reply
#18
Thunderbeast is the cats meow in the precision world if that is important to you. They make top notch cans but are a bit pricey. I run a Silencerco 300 omega on my 6.5 grendel and creedmoor and love it. It’s lightweight and quite on everything i have put it on.
Reply
#19
I think I’m going to be ordering a Nomad 30 and run a Q plan B for the mount. Compact, lightweight, and sounds really good
Reply
#20
Silencerco Hunter 30
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)