Aries144 Wrote:I'm trying to decide between an 18 or 20 inch barrel. I'm wanting to hunt with it and shoot distance. I have the range to shoot as far as I want. My hunting shots would be within 500 on coyote and with 200 on deer. Is there that much difference in these scenarios with 2 inches of barrel?
Since you'll be doing predator duty on coyotes, who are pretty skittish, you might consider the 20 over an 18, but practical differences will be limited.
More importantly, getting trigger time with the rifle for the beyond 250yd shots will really make more of a difference in your success than the 2" of barrel, and I would focus on fitting the rifle to you more than marginal muzzle velocity benefits.
If you're large in stature with medium build or more, consider the 20". If you're 5'7" or less with a slender build, consider the 18" with a medium or light contour.
I've been increasingly focused on the practical effects of matching the rifle weight/length/balance to the shooter height/weight over the past few years as opposed to raw cartridge and muzzle velocity performance.
The biggest practical difference I've seen between 18" MLGS and 20" RLGS is whether or not the shooter will eventually suppress or not. If so, I would go with a RLGS in either of the 2 lengths, as opposed to the MLGS, with the flow-through cans as exceptions.
18" RLGS suppressed is better than 18" MLGS suppressed due to cyclic rate and plug dwell time, much easier on the bolt and extractor, even with 5.56 NATO.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com