Posts: 70
Threads: 24
Joined: Jul 2017
Where can I buy steel tool extractors and other bolt spare parts?
I assume the firing pin is the same as on the 223 AR15 as are the pins and ejector spring.
What about the extractor spring - use same power and issues as the 223?
Posts: 1,936
Threads: 48
Joined: Dec 2016
Everything on a proper Mk136 bolt is the same as any other .223 bolt except for the extractor (WARNING - some "Grendel" bolts that are marked as .136 bolt face DO NOT take a standard firing pin - too long. You would have to measure your bolt overall length).
JP and one other company sells just the extractor, though you are probably better off getting a group buy bolt to keep as a spare.
Sticks
Catchy sig line here.
Posts: 1,691
Threads: 18
Joined: Feb 2013
I bought my spare extra tire from Precision Firearms
Posts: 70
Threads: 24
Joined: Jul 2017
My bolt is Type II therefore 0.136"... I never heard it would require a special firing pin, but then again I am new to 6.5G.
Posts: 6,193
Threads: 170
Joined: Mar 2015
WSAR15 Wrote:My bolt is Type II therefore 0.136"... I never heard it would require a special firing pin, but then again I am new to 6.5G.
Toolcraft and odion 6.5 grendel bolts use a shorter firing pin due to the bolt being a different length from mil spec.
AA,JP maxim firearms have bolts and proper sized parts for sale. Don't try and save a buck cause it's just going to burn you.
Posts: 941
Threads: 46
Joined: Sep 2016
A5BLASTER Wrote:Toolcraft and odion 6.5 grendel bolts use a shorter firing pin due to the bolt being a different length from mil spec.
AA,JP maxim firearms have bolts and proper sized parts for sale. Don't try and save a buck cause it's just going to burn you.
i have contacted toolcraft a couple of times about spare firing pins
they did reply, but did not have an answer.
Posts: 6,206
Threads: 50
Joined: Mar 2011
Here is a link that discusses the issue with 2.800 length bolts and .136 bolt face 6.5 Grendel bolts.
http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...lt-carrier
Posts: 4,287
Threads: 156
Joined: Jan 2017
mdram Wrote:i have contacted toolcraft a couple of times about spare firing pins
they did reply, but did not have an answer.
Lots of us on here have measured them several times... it has to do with how they decided to do their bolt yet have the deeper (0.136) bolt face...
"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
Posts: 941
Threads: 46
Joined: Sep 2016
grayfox Wrote:Lots of us on here have measured them several times... it has to do with how they decided to do their bolt yet have the deeper (0.136) bolt face...
i realize that. but if you break one, then how do you replace it if they wont sell a replacement?
Posts: 6,193
Threads: 170
Joined: Mar 2015
mdram Wrote:i realize that. but if you break one, then how do you replace it if they wont sell a replacement?
Easiest way is not to buy it to began with.
But I'm sure with some good sandpaper or fine tooth file a person could take down a standard length pin to the length of their pins.
But then again I can price out a complete bcg with true grendel bolt for the same price that toolcraft sells their 6.5 grendel bcg.
Posts: 941
Threads: 46
Joined: Sep 2016
A5BLASTER Wrote:Easiest way is not to buy it to began with.
But I'm sure with some good sandpaper or fine tooth file a person could take down a standard length pin to the length of their pins.
But then again I can price out a complete bcg with true grendel bolt for the same price that toolcraft sells their 6.5 grendel bcg.
and that was the point i was trying to make without saying it.
i was warning that there was no replacement pin if it broke
i actually would expect better from toolcraft, they do have a good rep
Posts: 214
Threads: 19
Joined: Dec 2016
One of my bolts is an Odin Works that I had some initial concern with when I started down the Grendel path. I had questions and contacted their customer service. Long story short - they answered all of my questions and sent a free firing pin (and some swag) when I asked about availability. Replacement parts are there if you go that route, you may just need to inquire. With that said, I'm a big fan of standardization and went with a GB bolt in my second Grendel.
Posts: 70
Threads: 24
Joined: Jul 2017
Boy am I confused. This is what AA has under Parts & Accessories | 6.5 Grendel and .50 Beowulf Bolts and Extractors, Specialty Firing Pin" "AR-15 replacement firing pin manufactured by Alexander ArmsĀ®. AISI 8740 alloy steel in austempered spring condition. Precision machined with correct transition radii to eliminate breakage. Thin, dense chrome coating minimizes hydrogen embrittlement. Trilobial main shank maintains alignment of the cam pin. Provides reduced contact surface that produces easy sliding of the firing pin within the channel. Provides clearance for dirt and carbon that results in more reliable function. Proven to operate at -65 Celsius in correctly lubricated weapons. Fluting is not cut all the way to the back of the firing pin, which keeps debris from entering the channel from the rear."
It's a mouth full and I still don't know if there are any dimensional differences with an AR15 pin.
Posts: 6,193
Threads: 170
Joined: Mar 2015
WSAR15 Wrote:Boy am I confused. This is what AA has under Parts & Accessories | 6.5 Grendel and .50 Beowulf Bolts and Extractors, Specialty Firing Pin" "AR-15 replacement firing pin manufactured by Alexander ArmsĀ®. AISI 8740 alloy steel in austempered spring condition. Precision machined with correct transition radii to eliminate breakage. Thin, dense chrome coating minimizes hydrogen embrittlement. Trilobial main shank maintains alignment of the cam pin. Provides reduced contact surface that produces easy sliding of the firing pin within the channel. Provides clearance for dirt and carbon that results in more reliable function. Proven to operate at -65 Celsius in correctly lubricated weapons. Fluting is not cut all the way to the back of the firing pin, which keeps debris from entering the channel from the rear."
It's a mouth full and I still don't know if there are any dimensional differences with an AR15 pin.
No it's the same size and length as mil spec just different materials and coatings.
You should be good with that firing pin as long as it's not a toolcraft or odion bolt your useing it with.
Bottom line is if it's a toolcraft or odion bolt it must use their firing pin or you must take down a standard length firing pin to their measurements for it to work properly with their bolt length.
That's why I say don't use their bolts and not have this problem to began with.
Posts: 70
Threads: 24
Joined: Jul 2017
I m sorry, but I don't want to be pain:
(a) I believe MIL spec AR15 5.56 is 0.125 and Grendel II is 0.136 Saami (?)
(b) I believe Toolcraft doesn't make their bolts, so I assume vendors add the bolt from X. If you look at AR15 5.56 Toolcraft complete bolt assemblies, depending on the vendor, the extractor material may differ same despite the same bolt carrier material. All this to say if I buy a "Toocraft" bolt I will not know the manufacturer?
Posts: 4,287
Threads: 156
Joined: Jan 2017
WSAR15 Wrote:I m sorry, but I don't want to be pain:
(a) I believe MIL spec AR15 5.56 is 0.125 and Grendel II is 0.136 Saami (?)
(b) I believe Toolcraft doesn't make their bolts, so I assume vendors add the bolt from X. If you look at AR15 5.56 Toolcraft complete bolt assemblies, depending on the vendor, the extractor material may differ same despite the same bolt carrier material. All this to say if I buy a "Toocraft" bolt I will not know the manufacturer?
On (a), yes they are both true and not contradictory, you are referring to bolt face depth. Milspec, of course, specs everything. The Grendel SAAMI has to do with the chamber, not bolt face depth. A Grendel chamber can be set up for a 0.125 bolt face depth or a 0.136 bolt face depth... the best arrangement IMO is the setup using the 0.136 bolt face depth. Using the 0.136 bolt face depth necessitates (in the standard case) using a bolt that is longer than the 556 bolt, by 0.011 IIRC. This allows use of a standard 556 pin. The toolcraft et al bolt is at the "556" length, with a 0.136 depth..... so, this means a shorter firing pin to make it all work. Hence, as A5 says, you have to kleep the TC bolt and pin together as a unit.
If you get a "mk136" bolt (0.136 face depth, Grendel bolt length) then your FP's are all interchangeable, 556, 223, Grrrr, whatever.
"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
Posts: 70
Threads: 24
Joined: Jul 2017
09-19-2018, 12:39 PM
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2018, 12:47 PM by WSAR15.)
Thanks - Got it - longer bolt by 0.011" makes sense.
I assume a ToolCraft Bolt Carrier and other "true" 6.5 Gendel II Bolt would be OK.
Posts: 6,193
Threads: 170
Joined: Mar 2015
WSAR15 Wrote:Thanks - Got it - longer bolt by 0.011" makes sense.
I assume a ToolCraft Bolt Carrier and other "true" 6.5 Gendel II Bolt would be OK.
I have seen others post that it will work but.
I put a grendel together for my best bud and his son with my 18 inch JP barrel and used a toolcraft 6.5 grendel bcg and tested my jp bolt in it with the firing pin that came with the jp bolt and it wouldn't work.
The bolt wouldn't seat fully into the bcg.
Put the toolcraft bolt and firing pin back in and it worked fine so we leavt it like that till he can afford a different bcg and normal mk136 bolt.
This is why I say don't spend your money on it, just spec out a bcg and bolt and parts from a different company and not have to deal with these issue's.
Maxim bolt 80 bucks with shipping
Stripped bcg 65 bucks with shipping
Joebobs firing pin, retaing pin and cam pin 25 bucks with shipping.
True lol more money then toolcraft but non of the issues.
Hope this helps and doesn't confuse you sir.
Posts: 521
Threads: 19
Joined: Jul 2018
Thought I read on this board somewhere that Toolcraft actually only makes bolt carriers. Is this true? If so, then the BCGs they sell for whatever caliber must a situation of them buying someone else's bolts and combining them with their carriers? So this strangeness with Toolcraft BCGs, is it because they're combining them with odd bolts, or because their carriers have something different about them?
Reason I'm asking is that that I have a PSA NiB carrier, which I've heard is sourced from Toolcraft but I have no verification on that. And I've combined it with a BA 6.5G bolt, which is a standard .136" Grendel II type bolt. For the firing pin, I pulled out the one that came with the PSA BCG and put in a Bravo Company pin; just wanted to make sure I am using as standard a setup as possible. Have not test fired it yet. Chambers sized brass fine though and I plan to make a couple of dummy rounds for a fit and cycling test.
Posts: 6,206
Threads: 50
Joined: Mar 2011
SDW, I haven’t seen any post regarding the bolt used by PSA other than they are 6.5 Grendel with .136 bolt face. Bll Alexander chose to use the .136 bolt face to permit more room for the extractor. A typical 5.56/223 bolt has a .125 bolt face depth and the bolt length from face to tail is 2.80. Bill A lengthened the 6.5 Grendel bolt to 2.810 to make up for the .01 deeper bolt. By going to a 2.810 bolt length the 6.5 Grendel can use the same length firing pin as the 5.56/223 bolt (mil spec BCG).
If someone has a PSA 6.5 Grendel BCG which came with their upper measure the length of the bolt. Hopefully PSA did their home work and are using a 2.810 length bolt. Over the years there were a couple of examples of tolerence stacking where a bolt and firing pin had light firing pin hits. There were also a couple of situations with pierced primers because of out of spec firing pins and or bolts. These were very rare situations but when Odin released their 6.5 Grendel it was discovered they were using 2.800 length bolt with milspec firing pins. These 2.80 length bolts with milspec length firing pins resulted in excessive firing pin protrusion and pierced primers.
It is unknown if Odin Works manufactures their own 6.5 Grendel bolts or purchased bolts from another manufacturer. Brownell’s released their 6.5 Grendel BCG at about the same time as Toolcraft and both use 2.80 length bolts. If I were to purchase or use a Brownell’s, Toolcraft or Odin 6.5 Grendel bolt I’d measure the bolt and firing pin. Without measuring the firing pin and bolt length you won’t know what you have because milspec length firing pins have been shipped with the 2.80 bolts.
When LaRue 6.5 Grendel was released one forum member measured his bolt at 2.80 but later another member measured a Larue bolt from an UU kit and the bolt was 2.810. Many times manufactures will make product changes without announcing the change. To be on the safe side I’ve measured all my 6.5 Grendel bolts, firing pins and bolt face depths and all mine were within spec.
|