I finally got all of my parts gathered and assembled. Of course I still have to do a headspace check, get optics/mount, ammo, and mags, but it feels good to have all the parts together. The handguard is off the cerakoater at the time of this post.
AeroFDE6.5 Wrote:Nice deal. You definitely pay a premium for the M4E1 for the FDE lowers- but we all have our character flaws. We want what we want.
Geno
Yea couldnt pass it up local shop, guy only has one got it and a fde on a trade told him 50 bucks next check he said deal and locked it up till I get payed.
Kswhitetails Wrote:Thumbs up on the fde. I’m partial to it as well. What are your plans for the optic?
I'm budgeting for a Nikon Black x1000 6-24x50. I did see Vortex has a 5-24x50 Strike Eagle for about $15 less, but I want to try Nikon this time (I have a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44 on my M5E1 .308 build- needs more scope too).
Aero, You may have picked the right time to step into a Nikon BLACK FX1000 scope. Right now Nikon is giving away with the purchase of the BLACK FX1000 a BLACK Series mount. That alone is worth $150. I have been using them on my BLACK X1000 scopes for over a year now and love it. Solid lock up, no lapping needed and it looks great too. I believe the promo goes until the end of Aug. but my guess is they will run out of mounts and they will end up backordered . Just a hunch. I just bought a BLACK FX1000, before the promo came into effect. Going to put it on my 6.5 CM, should be a great pairing.
Bart
Nikon Prostaff since 2010
Nikon riflescope user from 1984
bman940 Wrote:Aero, You may have picked the right time to step into a Nikon BLACK FX1000 scope. Right now Nikon is giving away with the purchase of the BLACK FX1000 a BLACK Series mount. That alone is worth $150. I have been using them on my BLACK X1000 scopes for over a year now and love it. Solid lock up, no lapping needed and it looks great too. I believe the promo goes until the end of Aug. but my guess is they will run out of mounts and they will end up backordered . Just a hunch. I just bought a BLACK FX1000, before the promo came into effect. Going to put it on my 6.5 CM, should be a great pairing.
Bman,
I did notice that the other day- I was planning to use an Aero precision FDE 30mm Ultralight scope mount, but a freebie is a freebie.
Shadow Knows Wrote:Nice build. I tire of black and yet I built my Grendel on a black platform, soon to change colors. I like it.
Thanks for the kind words. I know the difficulty cerakoaters have in matching Aero's "FDE"- I'm fully expecting it to not match the receivers at all. I was tempted to pull it all apart, send the receivers in too, but I went through that order with my Aero M5E1 build- very frustrating. At this point I really don't care- I just want to get the handguard back on the rifle, optics on it and shoot it!
07-29-2018, 04:17 PM (This post was last modified: 07-29-2018, 04:18 PM by bman940.)
Agree, free is my favorite price. I'm sure you could sell that BLACK Series mount if you decided not to use it but I promise you it is well made and you will have zero regrets mounting it on your build. Looking forward to a range reprt when the time is right.
Here's a pic of one of my Nikon BLACK Series mounts on a AR
Bart
Nikon Prostaff since 2010
Nikon riflescope user from 1984
I've bought a lot of Aero Precision uppers/lowers/handguard-rails with FDE finish already applied. It took me a bit to realize that they use Magpul FDE instead of plain old CeraKote FDE, but it said so right there on their website. I've used a lot of H-265 FDE over the past several years, but feel the H-267 Magpul version is much more attractive. And yes, I can see a slight difference in tint when using parts supplied already coated with those I've coated myself. As long as the texture of the finish is the same, I can live with the slight difference in tint. If I were putting an AR together for a customer, and had the time to order in parts for his build, I'd go with their coated upper/lower/handguard, but wouldn't hesitate to do the bbl, buffer tube, & etc parts myself.
I really like their new M4E1 lowers, and have also used a goodly number of M4E1 uppers with their handguards. Same goes for the M5E1/AR10 parts.
Kswhitetails Wrote:Beautiful rifle Geno, congratulations. Well done.
Thanks for the kind words- I will of course update this post once I get the scope on the rifle, zeroed, and get that elusive (at least in Southern California) 6.5 Grendel ammo to shoot.
I built this AR to do some distance shooting, so I think I'll do a 200 yd. zero on this rifle.
I did that, I found that the ballistic curves for 308 and Grendel GMM loads are pretty close (darned close) if you zero the Grendel to 200. Out to about 900, where Grendel starts to pull away slowly. With 1/3 of the recoil, and sight picture all the way to impact. Inside 200 is point blank anyway.
I'd love to put a 4x 7.62 ACOG on my hunting rifle.
Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.