Posts: 20
Threads: 9
Joined: Jan 2018
I have started my first Grendel build to use primarily for deer hunting. Any suggestions on a 20" barrel for less than $400 would be appreciated. I would like to stay away from the heavy barrels to keep the weight down if possible.
Thanks in advance for the recommendations.
Posts: 6,206
Threads: 50
Joined: Mar 2011
01-23-2018, 05:40 PM
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2018, 05:57 PM by VASCAR2.)
My idea for a 20” barrel is more of fixed position rifle where I would be shooting from a bench, blind or stand. There aren’t many 20” light profile 6.5 Grendel barrels. The best hunting profile 20” 6.5 Grendel I know of was the group buy 20” Faxon 6.5 Grendel barrel. There is an upper with this barrel in the buy sell 6.5 Grendel section of the forum.
http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...eted-Upper
I bought an 18” 6.5 Grendel group buy Faxon which really makes a sweet hunting rifle. The 18” barrel will be within 20-50 FPS of a 20” barrel depending on the load. A typical 18” 6.5 Grendel will give 2470-2500 FPS with 123 grain bullets. A 20” 6.5 Grendel will give 2500 to 2540 FPS with 123 grain bullets.
Bear Creek Arsenal has the largest variety of barrels for the 6.5 Grendel of any manufacture. J&T distributing sell a chrome moly 4140 20” barrel and a chrome lined phosphate 20” barrel but last I checked they were 1:9 twist. I prefer 1:8 or faster twist today with the current trend for longer heavier bullets.
Of the current 20” barrels on the market in 6.5 Grendel I’d probably look at the Ballistic Advantage SPR 20” or a Fluted Match 20” Faxon. JP are very respected but I think JP or Proof Research would be over your budget.
http://ballisticadvantage.com/20-inch-65...arrel.html
Here is a link to a Faxon fluted 20” 6.5 Grendel and this sight also sell carbon fiber barrels.
https://www.rainierarms.com/faxon-firear...series-20/
Posts: 296
Threads: 28
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 59
Threads: 5
Joined: Oct 2017
I will second the suggestion on the 18" Faxon gunner barrel for a hunting rifle.
Good price, great fit and they shoot very good.
Do not think you will be disapointed
Everything I enjoy doing is either illegal, immoral or, just to damn expensive
Posts: 6
Threads: 1
Joined: Jun 2017
Either McGowen or X-Caliber will make just about any profile or length you want for around $300. I've been happy with barrels from both.
Posts: 93
Threads: 3
Joined: Sep 2014
18" barrel from Alexander Arms is hard to beat for hunting
http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/DIY_Par...arrel.html
second choice would be Faxon for a budget barrel. If you want a target and hunting barrel check out Lilja. I think there a bit over the $400 price though.
Posts: 121
Threads: 2
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 164
Threads: 23
Joined: Dec 2016
I'm really liking my Proof Research stainless barrel. It shoots almost everything sub MOA or better and has been functioning perfectly. I used a Maxim bolt.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/330571...less-steel
Cliff
USN Ret., FPD Ret.
Dues Vult
Posts: 4,287
Threads: 156
Joined: Jan 2017
Faxon group buys are great. Their gunner profile is too.
depending on how far you need to shoot either 16" or 18" should work, take your pick... the 6.5 loses comparatively little MV due to good BCs as compared to "standard" calibers; I have 16" and 18" both and actually am leaning towards the 16" for my go-to. My expected range is up to 250 but I could go 300 yds (deer/predators) if I felt good about the shot.
18" will do it also of course.
"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
Posts: 1,918
Threads: 79
Joined: Oct 2016
LRRPF52 Wrote:This is the deal to beat right now I think:
https://core15rifles.com/6.5-grendel-bar...g-kit.html
![[Image: All.jpg]](https://core15rifles.com/images/detailed/4/All.jpg)
Their kit lists a generic 5.56 bolt description. I assume they provide the correct 9310 alloyed and specified bolt and extractor? The description on their Hardcore rifle indicates they understand the Grendel goodness. Looks good! I also notice they have their own version of the Grendel monster logo. Cool.
Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
After looking over a lot of the barrel options out there, I'm interested to see how the McGowan, Odin, and Core barrels all perform.
I've shot and own so many different 6.5 Grendel barrels now from AA, BHW, Bartlein-PF, Criterion-PF, Faxon, LaRue, Liberty, Lilja, Satern, Shilen, Underground Tactical, etc., but not a lot of the newer entrants.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
Posts: 1,936
Threads: 48
Joined: Dec 2016
LRRPF52 Wrote:After looking over a lot of the barrel options out there, I'm interested to see how the McGowan, Odin, and Core barrels all perform.... The first few months of my being a member here (early 2017), it seemed like there was another new Odin owner every week, making excellent range reports with it. Then all of a sudden, it just stopped.
Sticks
Catchy sig line here.
Posts: 1,691
Threads: 18
Joined: Feb 2013
^^agree. We always seem to have a new flavor of the month.
Posts: 1,918
Threads: 79
Joined: Oct 2016
This month goes toooo.......?!
Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.
Posts: 678
Threads: 7
Joined: Apr 2017
My 16" Odin seems to be getting better with age and it's still a young pup, I feel it will shoot better than moa but I've been a tad off of late. It still is hovering right around moa really being limited by myself and the scope that is riding on top and possible being harnessed by shooting only hornady factory offerings of which I wish they didn't discontinue their Amax line as that was showing great promise consistently.
I'd tread wearily with the Core offering as I seem to recall a host of issues within the past year with their 5.56 line up as I was viewing arf.
Posts: 358
Threads: 24
Joined: Dec 2015
i picked up a mcgowan 20" barrel today. its a heavy looking one. when i get out to shoot it i will let you all know how it shoots.
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
jonny rotton Wrote:i picked up a mcgowan 20" barrel today. its a heavy looking one. when i get out to shoot it i will let you all know how it shoots.
Will you follow an accuracy build checklist so we can eliminate other variables like barrel-to-receiver fit, upper face out of square, scope base and ring balanced torque, higher-end trigger, rear bag, front rest, quality ammo, etc.?
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
Posts: 358
Threads: 24
Joined: Dec 2015
LRRPF52 Wrote:Will you follow an accuracy build checklist so we can eliminate other variables like barrel-to-receiver fit, upper face out of square, scope base and ring balanced torque, higher-end trigger, rear bag, front rest, quality ammo, etc.?
i will do what i know how to do. i have built more than a few and i have not had a accuracy problem yet. i am a skilled shooter that can shoot very tight groups. i have never seem a checklist but would follow one if i had one. i want this to shoot lights out. the barrel weighs in at 2 15.8. its not light.
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
Upper receiver face needs to be square.
Barrel should fit very tightly in the upper, preferably bedded with one of several methods.
Gas block needs to be very tight on the journal or bedded, with the port aligned correctly.
Gas tube should not clip the key.
Use an inch-pound torque wrench with recommended torque specs on base and rings when installing the optic.
Grendel can be harder to shoot than .223 in the same weight gun due to the projectile mass and more recoil.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
|