01-01-2018, 09:19 AM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2018, 12:00 AM by Princess_Jamie.)
Shortly after I signed up for this forum, I started to piece together a 6.5 Grendel as an all around type rifle. I had cost in mind but not thinking cheaply. I plan on utilizing this for target shooting, varmint shooting, and possibly small game. I have the opportunity to practice shots up to 1k yards on my family's property. We are also having an issue with chickens disappearing from the coop (with confirmed blood trails). Below is a list of my purchases within the last few days along with the future purchases.
Purchased
-24" Radical Arms Upper (I am expecting flak from this purchase but I will take my chances as the price was hard to beat)
-Anderson stripped lower (what I used in my 223 build)
-LaRue MBT trigger (Great reviews)
-Spikes enhanced lower parts kit (Great price and it comes with extended take down pins to prevent me from breaking nails)
-A2 style buffer assembly
-Luth chubby grip (Perfect size for my dainty hands)
-Luth AR MBA-1 stock (I like its looks and reviews)
-Vortex cantilever 30mm scope mount
-Primary Arms 4-14x44 ACSS HUD/DMR 223/308 scope
-Atlas BT10 or VERSA Bipod
Future Purchases (Maybe)
Different style Muzzle Brake (cheap one for the time being)
Future Purchase (Dreaming but possible with time)
LaRue TranQuilo Sound Suppressor M308 w/Muzzle brake)
My very first gun was a AR15 from Radical about 6mos ago. After about 200 rounds it developed a problem with the bolt. Contacted Radical and they had me return the BCG and they sent me a new BCG. Other then that the gun seems solid and tight.
01-01-2018, 03:17 PM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2018, 07:45 PM by bj139.)
I bought a Radical 24" 6.5 Grendel barrel from a member here a few months ago as he was planning to rebarrel to a different caliber.
He posted on 65grendel about his experiences with the Radical upper about 2 years ago.
I just bought a receiver and am planning to get this barrel seated in the receiver and shoot it.
I will post results when I shoot some groups.
This is my first muzzle brake barrel. I better wear extra good ear protection.
My first build was with a 20 Radical upper. It shoots great. If you run into any issues Radical will warranty it no problem. I use it for hunting deer and hogs.
Thank you all for the insight,. I posted this over in snipers hide and was told it was one of the worst build lists someone saw in awhile. Oh well,. I will say that I'm pleased thus far with the interactions I get on this forum.
Purpose driven development is always better than the banter of fools. Believe in what you want to accomplish, set out your parameters, and build away. Make sure the influence you allow others is minimal in your quest for form in function. Make your build yours, the torpedoes be damned!
Princess_Jamie Wrote:(I am expecting flak from this purchase but I will take my chances as the price was hard to beat)
Unless someone feels the build you've described won't actually accomplish the purpose you've expressed, we're pretty live and let live. It's your money and your budget. It's a free country. To each his own. Etc.
It would be like saying someone should have red as a favorite color instead of blue. Negative people with too much time on their hands are unhelpful.
I just got two LaRue MBT triggers for Black Friday. Haven't installed them yet, but have been having fun using the "trigger trainer" plastic receiver thingie.
:: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets
Quote:We are also having an issue with chickens disappearing from the coop (with confirmed blood trails).
That sounds like it would be a fun problem to solve with your new build. We had the same problem with our ducks this year. It turned out to be a family of skunks. I ended up shooting most of them in the head with a 22LR. There was one where all I had with me at the time was a 308. Oh boy.... did that ever stick.
Quote:Thank you all for the insight,. I posted this over in snipers hide and was told it was one of the worst build lists someone saw in awhile. Oh well,. I will say that I'm pleased thus far with the interactions I get on this forum.
There is nothing wrong with your build that I can see. If it's safe, reliable, accurate within your needs, serves your purpose, fits your budget and goes bang then it was a good build.
These things depend on your perspective. Most any build will do well enough for anything. You just have to satisfy yourself. Besides, these things tend to be learning experiences. You can't go from A to B without having been at A first.
howl Wrote:These things depend on your perspective. Most any build will do well enough for anything. You just have to satisfy yourself. Besides, these things tend to be learning experiences. You can't go from A to B without having been at A first.
Awesome responses. I have seen radical uppers perform so I decided to try it out especially for the price. If I'm not satisfied, I can just re-barrel at a later date. I do believe my lower build is pretty spot on though.
The only issue you might have (that I've seen around the internet) is with the bolt and/or bolt carrier. Easy enough fix later on. Shoot your build and rock it. It should be ideal for your purposes.
I'm in the same dilemma with my muzzle device. Thinking the gamma 65 but would love to get a tranquilo sometime sooner rather then later so might get the the tranquilo brake instead. Ps if you are looking for just the brake just search for it on larue's website and it comes up.