10-29-2017, 05:23 AM
Folks,
Went to my local shooting range today. It clear, dry and about 95 degrees, no wind. I was using a load of 123gr ELD-M over 29.7gr CFE223, new Hornady brass, and CCI #41 primer. COAL was 2.245. The rifle is an Anderson with a Elfman trigger.
The Upper is a 20 inch Bear Creek Arsenal stainless 1:8. I did some paper punching out to 100 yards. The scope is Leupold VX2 3x9x40 with a Windplex reticle. CDS dials, groups were pretty good with the fore mentioned load. Groups were between 1-1.25.
So after doing the initial 100 yard zero. I took shots out to 600 on various steel targets. 200 was 2.3 MOA, 300 yards was 5 MOA, 400 yards was 9.1 MOA up, 500 13.4 MOA, finally 600 was 17 MOA. It was so much fun, I shot pig silhouettes, rounds that were from 9 inches at 300,to 16 inches at 400.
It is amazing out to 600 yards, the power that the Grendel imparts to a silhouette. It just smacks it, and to watch the target hit dead center and shudder. Nothing like it.
I shot about 200 rounds today. And I am amazed at how little copper there was in the barrel. I did 2 complete cleanings on the rifle. With Sweets. CFE223 is why there was so little copper. I had a great day it was fun. This particular rifle I use for target practice.
My next trip will be Tuesday, to take my hunting rifle. I will be using the same components. But the bullet will be a 118gr MKZ, by Cavity Back Bullets. Over a charge of 28.5gr of CFE223, COAL of 2.255. This should be traveling at approximately 2400fps. Stay tuned. A2
Went to my local shooting range today. It clear, dry and about 95 degrees, no wind. I was using a load of 123gr ELD-M over 29.7gr CFE223, new Hornady brass, and CCI #41 primer. COAL was 2.245. The rifle is an Anderson with a Elfman trigger.
The Upper is a 20 inch Bear Creek Arsenal stainless 1:8. I did some paper punching out to 100 yards. The scope is Leupold VX2 3x9x40 with a Windplex reticle. CDS dials, groups were pretty good with the fore mentioned load. Groups were between 1-1.25.
So after doing the initial 100 yard zero. I took shots out to 600 on various steel targets. 200 was 2.3 MOA, 300 yards was 5 MOA, 400 yards was 9.1 MOA up, 500 13.4 MOA, finally 600 was 17 MOA. It was so much fun, I shot pig silhouettes, rounds that were from 9 inches at 300,to 16 inches at 400.
It is amazing out to 600 yards, the power that the Grendel imparts to a silhouette. It just smacks it, and to watch the target hit dead center and shudder. Nothing like it.
I shot about 200 rounds today. And I am amazed at how little copper there was in the barrel. I did 2 complete cleanings on the rifle. With Sweets. CFE223 is why there was so little copper. I had a great day it was fun. This particular rifle I use for target practice.
My next trip will be Tuesday, to take my hunting rifle. I will be using the same components. But the bullet will be a 118gr MKZ, by Cavity Back Bullets. Over a charge of 28.5gr of CFE223, COAL of 2.255. This should be traveling at approximately 2400fps. Stay tuned. A2

