Poll: How's the quality of BROWNELLS 6.5 bolt/carrier
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
GO
80.00%
16 80.00%
NO-GO
20.00%
4 20.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
How's the quality of BROWNELLS 6.5 bolt/carrier ?
#41
Does anyone have a source for the shorter, non-spec firing pins?
Reply
#42
So IF i order a Barrel/Bolt/Firing Pin from Alexander Arms, i should be good to go?
Reply
#43
Yes, AA sell 6.5 Grendel chambered to use .136 bolt face depth 6.5 Grendel bolt. The AA bolts length is .281 which use Standard AR-15 length firing pin.
Reply
#44
VASCAR2 Wrote:Yes, AA sell 6.5 Grendel chambered to use .136 bolt face depth 6.5 Grendel bolt. The AA bolts length is .281 which use Standard AR-15 length firing pin.


Awesome, thanks!
Reply
#45
The Profit Joseph Sith Wrote:They are usually chrome lined per mil spec I believe. So I definitely wouldn't do that to the pin side. It would probably Stark to flake off or delaminate over time. Especially if rust starts. I wouldn't recommend it at all. I'd definitely avoid this whole debacle. Im sure I'd forget. Heck I remember reading this before about the longer bolts and already forgot.. I try and K.I.S.S. as much as possible.
No debacle really as Stainless Steel firing pins can be easily bought. So chucking it a lathe or even a drill and reduce a fraction off of it is of no concern...for me.
Reply
#46
One more comment to add to the thread...
I bought a Brownell's bcg as a spare, and true to the forum here, the FP is 3.270, whereas 2 of my spare 5.56's are 2.790/ 2.775.
And the one in my current 16" Gr is 2.281.

The added comment here is regarding the bcg I also got from Monmouth (MMR) - it looks identical to the Brownell in nitrided coating, and the FP measures 3.268, so it is the shorter one. Just giving a head's up to the horde when you go to Monmouth Reloading, it is the Toolcraft bcg with the shorter bolt/FP setup.
"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
Reply
#47
I haven't seen anyone answer this except to suggest using a stainless firing pin and shortening it. So...has anyone found a source for the shorter firing pins ?
Reply
#48
ppro Wrote:I haven't seen anyone answer this except to suggest using a stainless firing pin and shortening it. So...has anyone found a source for the shorter firing pins ?


I have yet to see any firing pins advertised for the shorter 6.5 Grendel bolts. Odin Works and Brownell’s are the only two sources that have recently sold 2.800” length bolts to my knowledge. I suggest you call Brownell’s technical and pose the question to them. They might not be aware of the difference in bolt lengths 5.56/223 .125” bolt face depth, bolt length 2.800” and 6.5 Grendel length 2.810” with .136” bolt face. Brownell’s 6.5 Grendel bolt are 2.800” with bolt face .136” hense the need for shorter FP.

Toolcraft sold 2.80” length 6.5 Grendel bolts but recent examples are 2.810” in length and accept standard length firing pins. From everything I read the critical issue is the firing pin protrustion which if to long can lead to slam fires and pierced primers. A firing pin which is to short has potential for light primer strikes and failure to fire. Firing pin protrusion for the AR-15 is minimum .028” maximum .036”.
Reply
#49
I decided to call Brownell’s technical this morning. The person from Brownell’s stated he’d built a couple AR-15’s in 6.5 Grendel using their BCG but was not aware of the difference in bolt lengths. The tech said Brownell’s did not sell a specific AR-15 firing pin for the 6.5 Grendel bolt. The tech said he would check into potential firing pin protrusion issue with the 2.80” 6.5 Grendel bolt.
Reply
#50
I rate my Brownells BCG for Grendel as a no go. The Bolt is 2.798" and the firing pin is 3.270". So the specs are okay but it will not fire a round in my Group Buy 12.5" barrel. The primers only have a light dent. I put a standard mil spec pin in (3.280") and it will fire an empty case with a primer only in it. I don't think I should shoot it this way.
Reply
#51
Man, that's strange. I have a Brownells Grendel bcg for my next build but I'm just using the carrier as I ordered a maxim bolt and Colt firing pin to go with my Lilja 12.5" group buy
Reply
#52
looking at the gap that shows at the back of the ejection port on the upper rear of the BC I would say that BCA makes the Brownells BCG.
#shareyourspare
Reply
#53
I'm skeptical. My handheld measurements with cheap calipers:

Brownell's 6.5 Grendel BCG:
Firing Pin: 3.267"
Bolt Length: 2.798"
Bolt Face Depth: 1.375"

vs.

Noveske (aka Maxim?) 6.5 Grendel BCG factory headspaced and bundled w/my Noveske barrel:
Firing Pin: 3.275"
Bolt Length: 2.810"
Bolt Face Depth: 1.366"

I plan to return mine to Brownell's and buy from Maxim Firearms.
Reply
#54
ErikS Wrote:looking at the gap that shows at the back of the ejection port on the upper rear of the BC I would say that BCA makes the Brownells BCG.

I don't know who makes it, but the packaging is the same as Odin works.[ATTACH=CONFIG]14234[/ATTACH]


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
   
Reply
#55
For some reason I lost this in my first post. [ATTACH=CONFIG]14235[/ATTACH]


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
   
Reply
#56
I have not used the Brownells BCG, but I have bought two from Midway USA. Their carrier is kind of octagon shaped. Both ran flawlessly.

I was browsing a Web site and seen Anderson sell a BCG that looked to be the same. So.Midway USA maybe selling their BCG.

Anyway the Midway USA BCG for $99.00...catch the free shipping on any purchase over $49.00.
Reply
#57
I have 4 bolt carriers
1 purchased from classic
2 toolcraft from armorally
1 brownells that look and measure the same as the toolcraft old ones.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)