Posts: 69
Threads: 6
Joined: Jun 2017
How's the quality of BROWNELLS 6.5 bolt/carrier ?
thanks
NRA LIFE
USPSA-IPSC
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
-Jeff Cooper
Posts: 6,206
Threads: 50
Joined: Mar 2011
09-03-2017, 08:12 PM
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2017, 05:31 PM by VASCAR2.)
This a relatively new product so I haven't seen any feed back on Brownell's BCG. I figure Brownell's has contracted with another company to build this BCG. The BCG could come from any of the different suppliers like BCA, Toolcraft, Maxim or other source. Brownell's usually doesn't disclose their source but I believe Brownell's will stand behind this product if you encounter problems.
Maybe someone else will chime in.
Posts: 27
Threads: 1
Joined: Jan 2016
I just ordered one, Brownells has a lifetime satisfaction guarantee
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bol...05382.aspx
Posts: 27
Threads: 1
Joined: Jan 2016
Geardo Wrote:I just ordered one, Brownells has a lifetime satisfaction guarantee
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bol...05382.aspx
Got my BCG friday, looks beautiful, very nice black nitride finish, installed in in a upper with a 16" Anderson barrel, and fired steel Wolf, and Hornady SST's flawlessly
Posts: 6,206
Threads: 50
Joined: Mar 2011
Thanks for the update Geardo!
Posts: 604
Threads: 45
Joined: Nov 2016
Geardo Wrote:Got my BCG friday, looks beautiful, very nice black nitride finish, installed in in a upper with a 16" Anderson barrel, and fired steel Wolf, and Hornady SST's flawlessly
Did you by chance check the headspace gages, or can you measure a fired round and report if it's in spec? I'm sure it is I'm just curious about details. No burs or sharp corners. I've seen some cheap carriers from PSA sold those at a loss just to get rid of them. I need to order six BCG's though about the only thing left I need
Posts: 182
Threads: 3
Joined: Nov 2015
I have one, its ok, nothing special just a plan Jane bolt carrier. Not a top line one!
Posts: 69
Threads: 6
Joined: Jun 2017
Got mine today, it looks very slick, very smooth finished.
. . . almost like an old S&W blued revolver
Key looks properly staked.
I don't have any 6.5G headspace gauges, but I with the upper in my lap, I can chamber a factory 123grELD, and if I place a tiny disc of electrical tape on the back of the round, the bolt doesn't close. ( poor mans headspace check LOL )
I don't expect any headspace troubles.
some quick iphone pics, after wiping down with an oily paper towel...
NRA LIFE
USPSA-IPSC
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
-Jeff Cooper
Posts: 69
Threads: 6
Joined: Jun 2017
NRA LIFE
USPSA-IPSC
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
-Jeff Cooper
Posts: 1,198
Threads: 52
Joined: Jan 2016
Off-topic, but I really like your rifle!
On topic, jeez that bolt looks similar to the Odin Works bolts....
It is the .136 bolt, correct?
Posts: 69
Threads: 6
Joined: Jun 2017
Kilco Wrote:Off-topic, but I really like your rifle!
On topic, jeez that bolt looks similar to the Odin Works bolts....
It is the .136 bolt, correct?
thanks
yep .136
------------------------
The Perfect Piece for Your 6.5 Grendel Build
The Brownells 6.5 Grendel Bolt Carrier Group provides users with a caliber-specific bolt carrier assembly that ensures reliable, premium performance at an affordable price.
The Brownells 6.5 Grendel Bolt Carrier Group is constructed with two separate kinds of steel. The bolt itself is fabricated from 9310, while the carrier is built using 8620 hardened steel. After machining, the bolt is completed with shot peening and heat treatment.
Each bolt undergoes magnetic-particle inspection
Extractor installation includes rubber insert and spring
Features correct gas-key torqueing and staking
Bolt finished with black-nitride coating
Type 2 Bolt
Bolt face depth is .136"
The Brownells 6.5 Grendel Bolt Carrier Group, in addition to the bolt, bolt carrier and gas key, also features a firing pin, cam pin and a firing pin retaining pin.
NRA LIFE
USPSA-IPSC
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
-Jeff Cooper
Posts: 182
Threads: 3
Joined: Nov 2015
Yeah, that one looks way better than the one I got!!
Posts: 150
Threads: 7
Joined: Sep 2013
D45, is the inside of the bolt carrier finished in nitride and not chromed? Dave.
Posts: 69
Threads: 6
Joined: Jun 2017
D.Davis Wrote:D45, is the inside of the bolt carrier finished in nitride and not chromed? Dave.
nitride
NRA LIFE
USPSA-IPSC
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
-Jeff Cooper
Posts: 164
Threads: 23
Joined: Dec 2016
D45, can you measure the overall length of just the bolt
Thanks!
Cliff
USN Ret., FPD Ret.
Dues Vult
Posts: 69
Threads: 6
Joined: Jun 2017
cb4017 Wrote:D45, can you measure the overall length of just the bolt
Thanks!
2.800" same as my 5.56
NRA LIFE
USPSA-IPSC
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
-Jeff Cooper
Posts: 604
Threads: 45
Joined: Nov 2016
Man stellar review, good pictures! Really helped me out I'm in the throws of deciding on what BCG to get and I need 6 of em.. still. I like your practical problem solvin' how many thou. Was that electrical tape? :confused: FWIW off the top of my head I think my headspace gauges are .005" difference. Now that I have a Wilson headspace gauge and soon more gauges I'll be casting and cataloging chambers for my new batch of barrels. Might run out of Cerro safe/true after this set. :p
Posts: 6,206
Threads: 50
Joined: Mar 2011
derek45 Wrote:2.800" same as my 5.56
Derek45 you might want to be aware the length on a 6.5 Grendel bolt generally is a little longer than a 5.56/223 bolt. I cut and pasted this reply from LRRPF52 on this sbuject from a previous discussion on 6.5 Grendel bolts.
"AA Grendel bolts are longer than 5.56 bolts, so the tail of the bolt takes up the deeper bolt face recess. Short story: You use regular AR15 firing pins. Measure your bolt length. It should be 2.810".
If you get pierced primers in your 6.5 Grendel a short bolt can be a contributing factor.
Posts: 69
Threads: 6
Joined: Jun 2017
VASCAR2 Wrote:Derek45 you might want to be aware the length on a 6.5 Grendel bolt generally is a little longer than a 5.56/223 bolt. I cut and pasted this reply from LRRPF52 on this sbuject from a previous discussion on 6.5 Grendel bolts.
"AA Grendel bolts are longer than 5.56 bolts, so the tail of the bolt takes up the deeper bolt face recess. Short story: You use regular AR15 firing pins. Measure your bolt length. It should be 2.810".
If you get pierced primers in your 6.5 Grendel a short bolt can be a contributing factor.
Interesting.
What's the length of the JP Bolt ?
.
NRA LIFE
USPSA-IPSC
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
-Jeff Cooper
Posts: 69
Threads: 6
Joined: Jun 2017
so, since the face of the bolt is machined .010" further back, unless the tail is also increased .010" , you;ll end up with a firing pin that goes .010" too far forward.
Hmm...
Guess instead of test firing tomorrow, I'll call Brownells.
should have followed my gut instinct and got the JP
.
NRA LIFE
USPSA-IPSC
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
-Jeff Cooper
|