Poll: How's the quality of BROWNELLS 6.5 bolt/carrier
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
GO
80.00%
16 80.00%
NO-GO
20.00%
4 20.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
How's the quality of BROWNELLS 6.5 bolt/carrier ?
#1
How's the quality of BROWNELLS 6.5 bolt/carrier ?

thanks
NRA LIFE

USPSA-IPSC


"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

-Jeff Cooper
Reply
#2
This a relatively new product so I haven't seen any feed back on Brownell's BCG. I figure Brownell's has contracted with another company to build this BCG. The BCG could come from any of the different suppliers like BCA, Toolcraft, Maxim or other source. Brownell's usually doesn't disclose their source but I believe Brownell's will stand behind this product if you encounter problems.

Maybe someone else will chime in.
Reply
#3
I just ordered one, Brownells has a lifetime satisfaction guarantee

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bol...05382.aspx
Reply
#4
Geardo Wrote:I just ordered one, Brownells has a lifetime satisfaction guarantee

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bol...05382.aspx

Got my BCG friday, looks beautiful, very nice black nitride finish, installed in in a upper with a 16" Anderson barrel, and fired steel Wolf, and Hornady SST's flawlessly
Reply
#5
Thanks for the update Geardo!
Reply
#6
Geardo Wrote:Got my BCG friday, looks beautiful, very nice black nitride finish, installed in in a upper with a 16" Anderson barrel, and fired steel Wolf, and Hornady SST's flawlessly

Did you by chance check the headspace gages, or can you measure a fired round and report if it's in spec? I'm sure it is I'm just curious about details. No burs or sharp corners. I've seen some cheap carriers from PSA sold those at a loss just to get rid of them. I need to order six BCG's though about the only thing left I need
Reply
#7
I have one, its ok, nothing special just a plan Jane bolt carrier. Not a top line one!
Reply
#8
Got mine today, it looks very slick, very smooth finished.

. . . almost like an old S&W blued revolver

Key looks properly staked.

I don't have any 6.5G headspace gauges, but I with the upper in my lap, I can chamber a factory 123grELD, and if I place a tiny disc of electrical tape on the back of the round, the bolt doesn't close. ( poor mans headspace check LOL )

I don't expect any headspace troubles.

some quick iphone pics, after wiping down with an oily paper towel...

[Image: BWobCts.jpg]

[Image: 2xCQv2V.jpg]

[Image: v8UvMHf.jpg]

[Image: DD85lTx.jpg]
NRA LIFE

USPSA-IPSC


"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

-Jeff Cooper
Reply
#9
[Image: qd7Z4qf.jpg]

[Image: pbtNfCC.jpg]

[Image: MgFWTYw.jpg]
NRA LIFE

USPSA-IPSC


"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

-Jeff Cooper
Reply
#10
Off-topic, but I really like your rifle!

On topic, jeez that bolt looks similar to the Odin Works bolts....

It is the .136 bolt, correct?
Reply
#11
Kilco Wrote:Off-topic, but I really like your rifle!

On topic, jeez that bolt looks similar to the Odin Works bolts....

It is the .136 bolt, correct?


thanks

yep .136


------------------------

The Perfect Piece for Your 6.5 Grendel Build

The Brownells 6.5 Grendel Bolt Carrier Group provides users with a caliber-specific bolt carrier assembly that ensures reliable, premium performance at an affordable price.

The Brownells 6.5 Grendel Bolt Carrier Group is constructed with two separate kinds of steel. The bolt itself is fabricated from 9310, while the carrier is built using 8620 hardened steel. After machining, the bolt is completed with shot peening and heat treatment.

Each bolt undergoes magnetic-particle inspection
Extractor installation includes rubber insert and spring
Features correct gas-key torqueing and staking
Bolt finished with black-nitride coating
Type 2 Bolt
Bolt face depth is .136"

The Brownells 6.5 Grendel Bolt Carrier Group, in addition to the bolt, bolt carrier and gas key, also features a firing pin, cam pin and a firing pin retaining pin.
NRA LIFE

USPSA-IPSC


"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

-Jeff Cooper
Reply
#12
Yeah, that one looks way better than the one I got!!
Reply
#13
D45, is the inside of the bolt carrier finished in nitride and not chromed? Dave.
Reply
#14
D.Davis Wrote:D45, is the inside of the bolt carrier finished in nitride and not chromed? Dave.

nitride
NRA LIFE

USPSA-IPSC


"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

-Jeff Cooper
Reply
#15
D45, can you measure the overall length of just the bolt

Thanks!
Cliff
USN Ret., FPD Ret.

Dues Vult
Reply
#16
cb4017 Wrote:D45, can you measure the overall length of just the bolt

Thanks!

2.800" same as my 5.56
NRA LIFE

USPSA-IPSC


"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

-Jeff Cooper
Reply
#17
Man stellar review, good pictures! Really helped me out I'm in the throws of deciding on what BCG to get and I need 6 of em.. still. I like your practical problem solvin' how many thou. Was that electrical tape? :confused: FWIW off the top of my head I think my headspace gauges are .005" difference. Now that I have a Wilson headspace gauge and soon more gauges I'll be casting and cataloging chambers for my new batch of barrels. Might run out of Cerro safe/true after this set. :p
Reply
#18
derek45 Wrote:2.800" same as my 5.56


Derek45 you might want to be aware the length on a 6.5 Grendel bolt generally is a little longer than a 5.56/223 bolt. I cut and pasted this reply from LRRPF52 on this sbuject from a previous discussion on 6.5 Grendel bolts.

"AA Grendel bolts are longer than 5.56 bolts, so the tail of the bolt takes up the deeper bolt face recess. Short story: You use regular AR15 firing pins. Measure your bolt length. It should be 2.810".

If you get pierced primers in your 6.5 Grendel a short bolt can be a contributing factor.
Reply
#19
VASCAR2 Wrote:Derek45 you might want to be aware the length on a 6.5 Grendel bolt generally is a little longer than a 5.56/223 bolt. I cut and pasted this reply from LRRPF52 on this sbuject from a previous discussion on 6.5 Grendel bolts.

"AA Grendel bolts are longer than 5.56 bolts, so the tail of the bolt takes up the deeper bolt face recess. Short story: You use regular AR15 firing pins. Measure your bolt length. It should be 2.810".

If you get pierced primers in your 6.5 Grendel a short bolt can be a contributing factor.

Interesting.

What's the length of the JP Bolt ?

.
NRA LIFE

USPSA-IPSC


"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

-Jeff Cooper
Reply
#20
so, since the face of the bolt is machined .010" further back, unless the tail is also increased .010" , you;ll end up with a firing pin that goes .010" too far forward.

Hmm...

Guess instead of test firing tomorrow, I'll call Brownells.

should have followed my gut instinct and got the JP

.
NRA LIFE

USPSA-IPSC


"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

-Jeff Cooper
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)