Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Best magazine?
#1
I am new to the 6.5 and working on a build. What mag functions best in this platform? I was gonna get one of the E lander mags that AA sells. Good?
Reply
#2
I like the Elander 17 round mag for the 6.5 Grendel but some people complain because a loaded mag rattles when not locked into the mag well. The AR Stoner mags have been ASC brand with a different floor plate. The Alexander Arms marked mags from a couple years ago were also ASC mags with an AA floor plate. AA supposedly inspected their branded ASC mags as certain batches of 6.5 Grendel mags have had issues.

My recommendation is to buy 6.5 Grendel mags from a reputable retailer as all the mags have had a troublesome mag slip through. I have yet to try any of the C Products Defense high capacity mags with the curved body. I have a few of the original C Products and ASC mags and most people report fewest problems with the 9-10 round mags regardless of brand.
Reply
#3
I like the Elander 17rd mags as well, but have had consistent, reliable results with my CProducts Defense mags from the start.

The straight-bodied 15rd mags were never meant to be made that way, and should have been destroyed or recycled, but were poured onto the market after being rejected by AA in the beginning.

Bill Alexander looked at the case taper of the Grendel when specifying the magazine body shape and dimensions, and determined that you really do need a curved magazine when you exceed 10rds capacity. For some reason, pallets of straight-bodied 15rd mags were sent to him, which he tried anyway, but of course failed and were sent back.

They popped up on .44mag after that, and many of us bought them unknowingly. As long as I only loaded ~6 or less rounds in them, they worked fine in my original carbine, which didn't have an upper with M4 feed ramps. In my Lilja 318 Grendel build, I de-edged and polished my feed ramps, matching them to the M4 ramps in the Aero no-FA upper. I discovered that I could load the straight 15rd mag to capacity and it seemed to work just fine, but I wouldn't expect those results in everyone's gun and would only recommend buying the curved mags if you go over 10rd capacity.

I fed multiple CProducts 25rd mags to some forum members at BoomerShoot for 3 days, and there were no malfunctions that I witnessed. They had 2 cases of ammo from AA for the event that turned into piles of brass like an M240 position.

Also, in my DM Courses, I've seen a lot of 25rd CProducts mags and no feeding issues with them.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply
#4
I've only used the 4 and 17 round e-landers and the 5, 10, and 20 round C product Defence mags, and i have had absolutely ZERO mag malfunctions of any sort.
Reply
#5
I have put thousands of rounds through 10 round C Products mags and have not had a single issue. I wouldn't know about the 17 round magazines since, although my state feels that is just fine to be able to walk into a store and buy an ounce of weed that is 23% THC, having 2 more rounds than 15 is just plain dangerous!
Let's go Brandon!
Reply
#6
I'm new to this caliber and only have a few hundred rounds through it. I've shot about an equal amount from my four mags, with no issues. They are:

CPD 27-round
CPD 10-round (2)
ASC 15-round
Reply
#7
I am new to 6.5 Grendel.
I just bought my first mags - C-Product 10rd mags - They seem to work well based on my searches and I like the finish.
Reply
#8
StoneHendge Wrote:I have put thousands of rounds through 10 round C Products mags and have not had a single issue. I wouldn't know about the 17 round magazines since, although my state feels that is just fine to be able to walk into a store and buy an ounce of weed that is 23% THC, having 2 more rounds than 15 is just plain dangerous!

Lmao! Maine is almost there... recently legalized the devils lettuce.

We can use any size mag for recreation use, but when hunting with a semi auto can only have 5 round max magazine capacity.

4 round elander rocks, 5 round CPD rocks the most, 4 round ASC functions fine but marks the brass up.
Reply
#9
I think there was some shady things happen between ASC and C-Products in the past.... with C-Products being in the right.... aside from bad contract writing that went south for them....

No probs with either so far but C-Products has a far better finish; that ASC couldn't get right for them in the past.

(I don't remember the details but ASC could have been a diff name before the fall-out)
Reply
#10
10 rnd and 20 rnd CPD mags run fine, no problems
Reply
#11
I use 10 round Elanders-they work flawlessly. I have 17 and high capacity as well but 10 rounders are perfect for me. The hogs don't like them very much though! Wink
Reply
#12
The CPD mags work for me also although the follower is short enough that it allows the bolt catch to slip off the of the magazine follower on occasion. I thought the catch was out of spec so I installed a Colt version with the same result. This happens in factory built BCM lowers.

I've had terrible luck with the Elanders, the feed lips present the bullet at too much of an angle (I've tried 3 different ones) at least in my rifle. I just built a pistol, I'll have to try it with that and see what happens.
Reply
#13
I use ASC and have had no problems with them.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)