Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
14.5" Grendel
#21
This is the only barrel I'd consider using for your purpose.

https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/barrels...1618-m-695

Its 55.78, plus shipping for Forum members, and at that price, if 16 inches just isn't short enough, you can have it cut down to any length you want. I have seen this barrel cut down to 10.5 inches with the carbine gas length.
Reply
#22
jcjarmon Wrote:This is the only barrel I'd consider using for your purpose.

https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/barrels...1618-m-695

Its 55.78, plus shipping for Forum members, and at that price, if 16 inches just isn't short enough, you can have it cut down to any length you want. I have seen this barrel cut down to 10.5 inches with the carbine gas length.

65Grendel forum members get BCA discounts?

Also, it's nice to see a forum where someone can school me on ballistics. They're a hobby of mine (I like numbers and they're a nice vacation from the voter data I normally crunch) but I'm still learning.
Reply
#23
jcjarmon Wrote:This is the only barrel I'd consider using for your purpose.

https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/barrels...1618-m-695

Its 55.78, plus shipping for Forum members, and at that price, if 16 inches just isn't short enough, you can have it cut down to any length you want. I have seen this barrel cut down to 10.5 inches with the carbine gas length.

But is the barrel worth a damn? I exclusively handload 6.5G and my time is worth too much to me to skimp on shooting my reloads through a bottom-of-the-bucket barrel. I've learned this lesson the hard way with barrels, bullets, optics, etc etc etc....

ETA: Nevermind, it has an M4 cut. Just can't bring myself to buy anything with the M4 cut. Makes no damn sense.
Reply
#24
pajasonc Wrote:those pictures at 1800 are not showing much expansion. The 2000 fps one showed good expansion.

Which basically means that a 14.5 " grendel using the 123 sst is good out to 300, where you can expect the bullet would look like the picture with decent espansion. Any further and there is a very real chance that you won't get a quick clean kill. So to take the 14.5 " further you would either need to boost speed(handload hotter) or use a softer bullet(which at close range runs the risk of over expanding and not penetrating enough) I would like to see how much the amax's expand at 1600 fps.
One mistake I used to make was imagining the bullet pushing through the tissue in the shape that we see represented by different recovered projectiles from gel.

After watching high-speed photography of gel shots, I started to see that the things are spinning at very high RPM, and that they maintain a lot of that RPM in the tissue.

For Grendel using 1/7.5" twist, you're at 240,000 RPM. I had a talk with Hornady's engineers about this at SHOT, and they said that they notice a repeatable result of higher RPM causing more wound cavity effects than a slower twist.

In Volume II, we have a table showing barrel length effective hunting range and point blank range with barrels from 10.5" to 24" using the 123gr SST.

14.5" at 2350fps will expand out to at least 325yds, if not 350yds.

14.5" at 2420fps will expand out to 360-400yds with 123gr SST.

For those that are worried about getting expansion at these distances, I would use the 129gr ABLR and toss those concerns. Most people hunting with an SBR are doing so in pretty tight terrain and vegetation.

If anyone has questions about their expansion thresholds, chrono your rifle and record the temps so you can enter those into your ballistics program.

For those without access to a chronograph, keeping it 300yds and in is sound logic with a 14.5" Grendel and factory 123gr SST if you are counting on expansion for your intended on-target results, especially in the cold.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply
#25
I think a 14 or 16" barrel makes for a handy rifle. I don't get why so many guys think you have to have a 20 to 24" barrel if you are going to shoot 6.5 Grendel.
Reply
#26
dreadpirate Wrote:I think a 14 or 16" barrel makes for a handy rifle. I don't get why so many guys think you have to have a 20 to 24" barrel if you are going to shoot 6.5 Grendel.

You don't have to have a 20 but why not have both. A 20 & a14.5. As I said in an earlier post I have a 20 coming from the group buy, soon real soon. I built my 14.5 for the big woods of northern WI. 50 yrs is a long shot up there. But the last couple years I find myself the last half of the season sitting on a 400 plus yds field in central WI. Last year a nice buck came out at 400 plus yds and I'm sitting there with the 14.5. So it a case of the right tool for the job.
Reply
#27
jcjarmon Wrote:This is the only barrel I'd consider using for your purpose.

https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/barrels...1618-m-695

Its 55.78, plus shipping for Forum members, and at that price, if 16 inches just isn't short enough, you can have it cut down to any length you want. I have seen this barrel cut down to 10.5 inches with the carbine gas length.

It also isn't a SAAMI chamber, no? And the barrel profile is terrible.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)