Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
6 Month PF Neptune VIII agony. Expensive taste so far.
#1
I'll go into detail later on this ordeal.

I finally received my Neptune VIII from PF Tuesday (ordered Jan 5 2017), and opted out of work early yesterday to send some Rounds down range for break in per their instructions, and see what it likes.

I had already purchased a fair bit of ammo from a member here in the Buy Sell Trade section, and used up the "Mixed bag of Amax and SST - to whit I could not identify which was which, so that was the break in ammo.

I shot some 5 round groups, and the two best groups came from American Eagle OTM. Clocking in at 2525 fps at 4800' ASL, I managed to pull these two groups. The more experienced around here will be able to tell what was shooter error since they are a combination of strings.

[Image: EKSQP-5GWUFDxRBDrjmrOy40bxl_WwCFvQlvbn10...80-h846-no]

[Image: g40HHXVp0mO_6BB_95PH31RyXulkr375JKSIicO-...80-h846-no]

These do have a different POI from the SST/Amax, who was dialed in hitting just left of center, and equally low.

Shots are at 100y

Neptune Spec;
Barletien barrel, 18" Threaded with Atlas until Omega gets out of NFA Jail
SLR AGB - Dimpled (not by choice)
Sampson Keymod - getting rid of that tube soon for a MI Gen II
NIB BCG
Nightforce 20 MOA Unimount - Lapped and torqued to spec
Hubble Telescope (Vortex Viper PST FFP Gen I 5-24x50 MRAD)

PSA Lower with Geiselle SSA-E
Magpul PRS
Magpul MIAD

[Image: _6i1K0cvwJrCRYpd8tR5v9MCoezMAvaSQzdeZu20...28-h860-no]
Sticks

Catchy sig line here.
Reply
#2
Congrats!

Yes they are not cheap(I have two) and it doesn't help seeing $300 complete uppers out there. However, you could blindfold me in a dark room give me my rifles one at a time and I will pick out the PF ones by the first pull of the charging handle.

Yes the wait sucks but now it's over and you can enjoy it.
Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...-Whitetail
Reply
#3
Congrats! Looks like your in a good area for some long range p-doggin'
Reply
#4
How do you like or dislike the Atlas muzzle brake? By the way very nice looking rifle. But I could not keep from wondering why your bi pod is mounted so far back? Would it not give you more stability mounted forward? Just curious? Very nice looking
Reply
#5
Also good to here that someone else likes to lap in their scope rings besides me. I don't know how many times I've heard my friends say WHY DID YOU DO THAT!!!! Then I show them my target and say THAT'S WHY!!!! LOL
Reply
#6
StoneHendge Wrote:Congrats! Looks like your in a good area for some long range p-doggin'

Not a P-dog to be found anywhere in Pawnee Grasslands, at least that I know of. I did have an antelope try to commit suicide though. I shoot both eyes open and noticed the movement on my left side, and twas an antelope moving towards my target during a transition to another shot grouping. Fired the first round and it took off running and crossed right in front of my target.

LWP Wrote:How do you like or dislike the Atlas muzzle brake? By the way very nice looking rifle. But I could not keep from wondering why your bi pod is mounted so far back? Would it not give you more stability mounted forward? Just curious? Very nice looking

I have only shot the 70 rounds that day, and this is my first time shooting a Grendel, so I have no basis for comparison. It's a muzzle device. I suppose my next outing I could take it off and try without and see how it does.

The bipod is in tight to the receiver or two reasons, one, the best grouping I have ever shot was off the magazine. 10 rounds @100 through my RDS was sub MOA with the exception of two that I knew as soon as I pulled the trigger they were out - by a couple inches. Second being is there is a fair bit of flex in handuard tubes and not a whole lot of clearance between the rail and the front of the scope. As much as I preload, combined with the recoil, may cause contact between the scope and rail during recoil. I may put some sort of transfer paint or powder under the scope and try it up front.

I'm still trying to get my groove back. Marksmanship is a perishable skill, and mine is on life support.
Sticks

Catchy sig line here.
Reply
#7
Look how tight your vertical is.

I'm surprised you were able to shoot those groups with your bipod placed where it is. Are you using a rear bag?

However your bipod is attached, it is really far from the handguard, so I would find a way to mount it closer to the handguard and put it farther forward.

From a solid position, those PF/Bartlein uppers will keep putting round after round through the same hole with quality ammo.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply
#8
No rear bag. I tried a variety of bracing from holding the butt into my shoulder with my support hand, to holding the handguard (IIRC got me those two groups), to having to hold the bipod legs - they kept walking forward, Spiked feet should be in today.

I finally had to put that coat down. My shooter mat was at home, and I was laying on broken glass, shell casing, and clay pigeons, and gravel. Elbows couldn't take it anymore.

My next outing I will have more rail sections in and will mount one froward and try another flavor test.

BTW - Hates wolf steel case. 6 moa 20 round group. When you get a flyer....WOW. If I took the flyers out, it would probably be a 3+ group.
Sticks

Catchy sig line here.
Reply
#9
My little happy moment shooting 475 yards at a 6" plate.

[video]https://photos.app.goo.gl/a0ITk4jcXngQh7b63[/video]

My zero or dope math is off. Once I got dialed in (12 rounds) I was 22 for 28 with factory 123gr Amax

[Image: LUFXkq9vbMxE5DlCa2_28xlfhxxYoQzzhnCC1Snv...36-h314-no]

The 140 rounds today (80 at 208 yards, 20 at 330, 40 at 475) still shows my shooting a consistent sub to 1 MOA when I don't force the shot. I can not get SST to group for crap. ELD was sub MOA.
Sticks

Catchy sig line here.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)