Posts: 14
Threads: 3
Joined: Jun 2017
I just built my first 6.5g utilizing an 18" BA barrel. I've always headspaced my 5.56's, but I guess now I need to get a set of go, no-go gauges.
Where should I be looking in order to find a good set? Are they all about created equal?
Posts: 4,287
Threads: 156
Joined: Jan 2017
I've used Manson - they worked well. I have some Forster's for my next project though not used just yet, I expect them to do well also.
The Key is to use a go and no-go pair from the same mfr - don't mix brands. The usual suspects should have 'em, Midway Brownells, etc.....
The other key is to be aware that there are 2 depths of grendel bolt-face, the 0.125 and the 0.136. Verify that your bolt-face depth matches what the barrel is designed for. You can do that without the gauges.
Posts: 169
Threads: 21
Joined: Aug 2015
You can rent a set from reamerrentals.com and save some $
Posts: 1,973
Threads: 28
Joined: Mar 2017
On reamerrentals.com I only see gauges and a reamer for a bolt action Grendel.
Can these be used for a semi-auto?
Posts: 4,287
Threads: 156
Joined: Jan 2017
I haven't used reamerrentals so no comment there. Since in most cases I plan on doing more than one build, $60 for a matched set is not a bank-breaker IMO.
In your case you don't (or shouldn't) need a reamer - that's already been done by the barrel maker, right? So gauges are the only thing and the ones I know and use can be used on either bolt or AR style - they only measure the chamber. O and btw, one set of gauges can cover more than 1 actual caliber, like in .308 - it's also good for the 243, 7mm-08 and 260 since they all have the same 308 case up to the neck area. All covered calibers are usually listed on the gauge.
Posts: 4,287
Threads: 156
Joined: Jan 2017
Let me add another thing. For my AR-Grendels I built there was no need to check head space, they were reputable mfrs and that is all set by the barrel+barrel extension, and bolt. The barrel/extension is already assembled from the mfr and so the only remaining piece is proper matching bolt face depth to the 0.125 or 0.136- as required by the specific barrel you got.