So, it seems that Ballistic Advantage has decided to go with a "Type 2" on all it's Grendel barrels. So much for the SAAMI spec chamber...They pussed out on the compound throat? Feel free to weigh in.
|
BA Barrel Specs
|
|
06-14-2017, 04:41 AM
Type II is not the same as Grendel II. Type II typically just refers to a chamber that headspaces on a 0.136" bolt face depth. Grendel II is the non-SAAMI chambering without the compound threat.
06-14-2017, 05:04 AM
Yeah, I'd verify whether Type II in their parlance refers to throat or headspace.
I have a very strong preference for the SAAMI chamber and personally would never buy or sell anything but; however, other chamberings are not the end of the world, either. If I really wanted a BA, I wouldn't let it stop me.
:: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets
:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::
If the barrel is sold as 6.5 Grendel it should use the SAAMI spec reamer but can be chambered to use .136 bolt face depth 6.5 Grendel bolt or .125 depth 7.62X39 bolt. The whole idea of SAAMI is to ensure compatability between barrels and ammunition, hense Bill A's insistence on getting SAAMI approval for the 6.5 Grendel.
Here is the description of the 6.5 Grendel barrel from Ballistic Advantage. This 6.5 Grendel "Type 2" chambered 18 inch barrel is machined from 416 Stainless Steel with a bead blasted finish. Our Premium Series Barrels feature a FailZero Nickel Boron Coated Extended M4 Feed Ramp Extension. If you look at BA description of the 6.5 Grendel bolt it states .136 Bolt Face Depth Type II. Hopefully the industry is starting to standardize on the 6.5 Grendel SAAMI spec chamber and .136 bolts. It probably depends on where and how the consumers spend their money if the varient chambers and X39 .125 bolt survive in the market place. Black Hole Weaponry started using Type I to indicate 7.62X39 .125 bolts and Type II to signify .136 6.5 Grendel bolts. Most manufactures have since started identifying .136 bolts as Type II. As a manufacture you wouldn't want to sell 223 Remingtion chambered barrels stamped 5.56X45. Would a manufacture stamp a 223 Wylde barrel with a 223 Remington chamber, probably not intentionally. If the barrel is stamped 6.5 Grendel it should be a SAAMI spec barrel. When Alexander Arms trade marked the 6.5 Grendel name it was to ensure you got a true to spec 6.5 Grendel barrel and why other manufactures had to use different names for their different designed chambers like 264 LBC AR, Grendel II, 6.5 CSS and 6.5 Sporter.
06-14-2017, 02:02 PM
Bolts are .136, but the gray area is their chamber as it isn't clearly stated SAAMI anywhere in their product description. They would benefit from a revised product description to clear the air, or it is as described a type II chamber which in my mind is a .300 neck with parallel walls.
06-14-2017, 02:40 PM
I swapped some e-mails with BA a couple weeks ago. At first, they just told me the Type II just referred to the bolt face depth.
Then I pressed them on the chamber and they replied with "It’s a a little bit different than SAAMI. SAAMI, came out later than type 2." Shortly after that I got another message that said, "It's a SAAMI spec chamber with a Type II bolt." I wish I could see their reamer drawing.
06-14-2017, 04:06 PM
Drillboss Wrote:I wish I could see their reamer drawing. ask them for it when i emailed shilen they sent me thier reamer drawing
06-14-2017, 04:26 PM
mdram Wrote:ask them for it I did. Response was "I don’t have the ability to send the draws right now."
06-14-2017, 04:35 PM
really? no email or scanner
how 1980 of them
06-14-2017, 04:44 PM
mdram Wrote:really? no email or scanner It's not something a customer service rep can just easily email you. They'd have to talk to their manager, wait for engineering approval, and then have someone draft up a version for public view. That's IF they want to share it - they don't have to. As for me, I'm happy with my Anderson 6.5 Grendel barrel as a steel-cased Wolf blaster. Once the dust settles on the new offerings from BA, BCA, Faxon, etc, I'll be in the market for a nicer barrel and then cut down the Anderson for my pistol. With all this confusion, the Alexander Arms barrel offerings at $195 are looking better to me every day. At least you KNOW you're getting the proper chambering.
From AR15.com:
Originally Posted By BallisticAdvantage: Definitely a SAAMI chamber. Stainless, non-nitrided. Button rifling and 1:8 twist rate.... Post is about 3/4 the way down this page https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_685/2778...tml&page=2
- Kirk -
06-14-2017, 06:47 PM
Thank you all for your input! I really hope BA cleans up it's descriptions to clearly state these are SAAMI spec chambers and require a .136" bolt. There's enough FUD regarding this round, shouldn't need to go on a snipe hunt to figure out what exactly the specs are...
06-15-2017, 04:53 AM
I'd say they need more feedback emails from the public (from us) pointing out that Type II chambering doesn't mean anything and SAAMI does.
06-15-2017, 05:14 AM
To that end wouldn't SAMMI chamber automatically mean .136 bolt face. It's simple just say SAMMI, make it correctly and be done with it.
06-15-2017, 02:27 PM
Its not automatic. A SAAMI chamber can be cut to utilize either bolt face.
06-16-2017, 02:45 PM
Just re-read the BA Grendel descriptions. Under additional information - "Grendel type 2 chamber". There is NO reference to SAAMI whatsoever for ANY of their Grendel offerings.
06-18-2017, 02:13 AM
I think or at least I would hope that as more and more reputable ammo manufacturers come out with ammo for it. The barrels and chambering will become more and more standardized under SAAMI as well. Because that IS after all the entire reason standardized exists.
06-18-2017, 02:40 AM
The Profit Joseph Sith Wrote:I think or at least I would hope that as more and more reputable ammo manufacturers come out with ammo for it. The barrels and chambering will become more and more standardized under SAAMI as well. Because that IS after all the entire reason standardized exists. Not so sure about that. The standard (SAAMI chamber) existed before Satern started selling the Grendel II Liberty barrels. I've convinced myself that it's more cost effective to produce Grendel II barrels since the throat is so much deeper and they don't need to watch the reamer wear as closely. Plus the fact that there is no standard for Grendel II.
06-18-2017, 04:13 AM
How hard is it to say "SAAMI cut chamber - 0.136" bolt face depth"?
We should as a buying public insist that company we buy a barrel from needs to list this exact description on their product page - otherwise no $$$.
06-19-2017, 01:10 PM
From AR15.com:
Originally Posted By BallisticAdvantage: These chambers are indeed SAAMI-spec. We verified our reamers with the manufacturer to be 100% certain... -Tony @ BA
- Kirk -
|
|
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
|
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

