Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
New CPD Magazine.
#1
I just saw where C Products Defense has released a new 28 round 6.5 Grendel magazine. I can't tell from the pictures how much longer the body of the mag is compared to the 24 round mag. CPD has also released a new 28 round mag for the 6.8 SPC.

http://shop.lcjwholesalestore.com/28-RD-...-RD-65.htm


I also noticed J&T Distributing is selling a 17 round 6.5 Grendel mag with a curved body. There is very little info on J&T's web site on this mag. This might be a picture of a CPD 20 round mag with curved body for 5.56 which CPD manufactures. The pictures of the 5 & 10 round 6.5 Grendel mags sre shown with orange followers. J&T has displayed a picture which does not match the product in the past. I suspect the pictures of the 6.5 Grendel mags are actually 5.56/223 mags. I might call J&T to get more info on this 17 round mag.



https://jtdistributing.com/store/ds657.html
Reply
#2
Good news and thanks for the report!
:: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::
Reply
#3
VASCAR2 Wrote:I just saw where C Products Defense has released a new 28 round 6.5 Grendel magazine. I can't tell from the pictures how much longer the body of the mag is compared to the 24 round mag. CPD has also released a new 28 round mag for the 6.8 SPC.

http://shop.lcjwholesalestore.com/28-RD-...-RD-65.htm
I decided to check 68forums for possibly relevant info, since Chad (the owner?) of CPD often posts about his company's mags in that forum.

The magazine shown in the link above is not the new 28-rounder, which actually has the pronounced curvature of 7.62x39 magazines.
[Image: 28rd%206.8%20Photo%201.jpg]


[video=youtube;R4OighA3Ah4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4OighA3Ah4[/video]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4OighA3Ah4


[video=youtube;9UQSOltUHUs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UQSOltUHUs[/video]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UQSOltUHUs



FYI: http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.ph...w-shipping
Reply
#4
Alright, so who's going to be our guinea pig?
Reply
#5
I might give it a try. I'm partial to elanders though.
Reply
#6
Redomen Wrote:I might give it a try. I'm partial to elanders though.

Me, too, but the more reliable magazine options that make it to market the better. Also, as much as I like my Elanders, I'd rather buy magazines made at home.
Reply
#7
I contacted J&T Distributing in regards to the 17 round 6.5 Grendel mag listed on their website. I inquired if J&T manufactured the 17 round 6.5 Grendel magazine or who actually manufactures the magazines they currently sell. I was advised J&T used to sell C Products 6.5 Grendel mags but is currently selling ASC mags. The person I had correspondence had to contact a person in purchasing for the info.

The picture of the magazine of the 17 round 6.5 Grendel mag on the J&T sight appears to be the same photo on ASC's website for the aluminum 20 round 5.56 mag. The description of the ASC 6.5 Grendel mag on ASC website is the same information as on J&T's website. The ASC's website does not list a 17 round 6.5 Grendel magazine.

I still don't know if the 17 round ASC 6.5 Grendel mag is a new release or a misprint on the J&T/DS website.
Reply
#8
C Products Defense is also selling a 20 round 6.5 Grendel magazine with the same profile as the CPD 20 round 7.62 X 39 mag. I haven't tried any of the CPD but I really like my 17 round E-Lander mags even if they are a little more expensive.
Reply
#9
We tried C Products magazines years ago and had issues with them. We switched to E-landers but like a lot of you, would rather buy USA if possible. The idea of having a Grendel magazine at almost the same capacity as a 5.56 is also nice. If we switched out the spring to a flat wire spring from David Tubbs we would probably gain another one or two rounds capacity and be at 30 rounds. (Just thinking)

I called LCJ Wholesale store and talked to Larry. He was very knowledgeable about the magazines and took the time on the phone to go into detail about how the CPD magazine has been changed and upgraded from earlier design with redesigned feed lips, deeper grooves and a new finish called Black-P (which I really like) to reduce sticking and fouling over thousands of rounds. I told Larry about our experiences with CPD magazines in the past and he was very confident these new magazines would perform wonderfully. He was so confident he sent me a magazine to test. Since LCJ Wholesale Store was kind enough to do this, I wanted to give it a fair test and not say anything until we had a chance to put the magazine through its paces. Over the last two weeks we ran the magazine through both forged lowers and billet lowers testing how it engaged and disengaged from the receiver. We ran 336 rounds through the magazine using Lapua brass and 120 grain Lapua Scenars. Usually, we are pretty picky and find something to complain about but to this point the magazine has performed without flaws and no complaints from us. The magazine is laser etched like the picture above but says 6.5. If there are any problems long term I will update the thread but for now we are going to be buying these made in the USA magazines again.
Reply
#10
Any pics? Thanks for the report.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply
#11
I have a few of the new Magazines in my AR chambered in 7.62x39 and I have also run them in my Grendel. These magazines have performed great for me and are much higher quality than the old design. I could never get any of the old mags to function propely. The feedramps are much more solid and the spring tension is much more stiff on these new mags. I am also assuming the new shape aides in reliability. They have worked very well for me. I keep one of the 28 rounders in the case for my Grendel and I shoot is often. No failures yet and again this is a mag that is designed for 7.62x39.
Reply
#12
Does anyone else have experience with these magazines?
Reply
#13
Okay, I am over 7 months late to the thread, but I picked up a CPD 28 round Grendel magazine at the gun show. I will let y'all know how it works...
Kill a hog. Save the planet.
My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Reply
#14
I have a 4 round e-lander, 4 round ASC, 4 round CPD and 10 round CPD. Out of these mag, I will always reach for the CPD first. They allow the longest COAL, they load smoother than the others, and I've never had a malfunction with them either. The 10 rounder is the easiest one on brass and bullet deformation during Chambering as well.
Reply
#15
DNS please keep us posted. I need to get a bigger mag than the cpd 10 I currently have.

Thanks Kilco I am looking for more than 10rd but that vote of confidence is encouraging.
Reply
#16
Kilco
What is max COAL you are able to load to with CPD mags? I'm able to run 2.290" with ASC's and reliable function, though I had to rework feed lips/front scallop and spend a few hours to get them there.
Reply
#17
In my home state of Maine, our semi-autos are limited to 5 round magazine max for hunting, hence why I have so many 4-5 rounders, with my CPD 10 rounder for target/load development.

I could get 2.285 COAL to fit and function fine in both my CPD mags. TBH I never used the ASC as much, seeing as how it didn't have the little lip cut out in the front that allowed extra clarence for the neck/shoulder section of the round when chambering, and when I did use it, it put deep scratches and cuts down the round.. very hard on the brass that I reload.. so in defense of the ASC I never checked it for max COAL, and might have gotten cleaner function with some modification, but the CPD worked flawlessly, required no modification, and are equally great value.

I believe I have my e-lander loaded up with varmint rounds, and bust it out occasionally, but it fits so damn tight into the lower that I have to give it a little extra slap to seat, and it is extremely tight loaded with 4 rounds, even after leaving it leaded for a couple months. I believe I've had a couple instances of the initial round not going completely inot batter after hitting g the bolt release. Just took a couple slaps of the foward assist, but deff not as smooth functioning as the CPD mags.

Can't speak for any manufacturers higher capacity mags, but I plan to try the 17 round e-lander ans 18 round CPD in the future.
Reply
#18
Alright, I have been out with the CPD 28 round magazine. It has issues. I have not determined whether it is the front edge or the ancillary lower set of lips forward of the feed lips that are creating the stoppages, but the rounds are not moving fully forward every time, causing a stoppage. The forward ancillary lower lips are not nearly so pronounced on my Stoner mag and the transition isn't nearly so abrupt on the Stoner as either.
Kill a hog. Save the planet.
My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Reply
#19
Here is a very no frills video of what I am talking about. My thought is that the cartridges should be able to slide forward freely, under tension, but freely as they move into the chamber. The CPD 28 round magazine does not seem to allow this. The first problem I notice is that the rim of the cartridge catches on the central side crimp of the magazine. Basically, the pushed in metal of the crimp fit well in extractor groove, helping trap the cartridge. The second problem is the shoulder of the cartrdge catch on the forward lips of the magazine. My other mags don't seem to hang up like this. The cartridge pass over the crimp much more freely and the forward lips are less pronounced and less abrupt.

https://youtu.be/XFT9NWgP0ig
Kill a hog. Save the planet.
My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Reply
#20
All the 6.5 Grendel mags I've bought have very stiff mag springs when new. I have gotten into the habit of loading my new mags to capacity and letting them set loaded for at least two weeks or the first time I attempt to use them in my rifle. Many of my mags have exhibited the same issue as your new CPD mags DNS. With my mags the function improves with use. It appears the mags wear in or wear the edges smooth which improves function.


Just curious DNS if you load new your mags and let them set loaded?
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)